Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing question from newbie  (Read 11564 times)

paleomike

fly fishing question from newbie
« on: August 02, 2004, 02:21:03 PM »

Hi

I just started fly fishing (first time was in Yellowstone Park......WOW!), and was wondering if there was anyplace local in Vancouver (I am actually staying with family in Surrey now) that I could hone my skills?  I am not too worried about catching large fish (catching would be very nice, keeping is of no interest to me), but would just like to find someplace to go......any suggestions?  If so, what's good to use for flies?  times of day?  Is there any point trying the serpentine out on the way to White Rock?  As well, some of these little local parks that have stocked ponds....who would I contact to find out if they have been stocked recently?

thanks for any help with these questions!
Michael

otto

Re:fly fishing question from newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 05:27:44 PM »

try calling the Surrey or Delta Parks board regarding the park stocked ponds. you can also go to the Vedder river and flycast in the backwater sloughs for trout, carp, other coarse fish etc

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 06:04:12 PM »

Crescent Beach for Searun Cuthtroat. Talk to the boys at Micheal and Young to get you started. Great beach fishery some of the slabs can reach 24in.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 10:26:26 AM »

Buntzen L. & Sasamat L. in Coquitlam.  Lots of lakes in the valley to try.  I have a book somewhere and will post the name for you.  I gives all the places to fish in the Fraser Valley.

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 12:55:23 PM »

Green timbers lake is stocked in surrey.  just off 100ave and between 148th and 144 street.  late evening is usually ok.  
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

BirdNester

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 01:21:25 PM »

Green timbers lake is stocked in surrey.  just off 100ave and between 148th and 144 street.  late evening is usually ok.  
Do you ever fish there? I wanted to go there some time, it's right around the corner from my house. I would like to have my son catch a fish. How would one fish it? What size betty? ;D
RobertO

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 03:10:19 PM »

trout rod, #2 blue fox spinner any color pinch barb make sure hook is sharp add power bait and cast where it is deep enough not to snag on bottom.

BirdNester

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 03:27:56 PM »

leadbelly, what's a trout rod? We have this old 6 foot mitchell spinning reel here. Plus could I fish beside him with my setup? Just for fun and instructional purposes?
RobertO

BirdNester

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 03:47:50 PM »

I just guessed, it may even be smaller.
RobertO

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 08:22:55 PM »

ya any small 7-8 foot rod and reel with 10 lb test should be ok.Make sure the line is new and of good quality.

TtotheE

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 12:20:27 AM »

timbers in august? don't bother   :)  try late september once it starts to get MUCH cooler and even then,  in the evenings or early early mornings.  Keep it to early spring.  They've recently changed the regs this year to a 1 fish limit as opposed to the previous 4/day.  Also they lifted the artificial fly/lure or worms only regulation  :'(  So now the powerbaiters can fish w/o getting hassled by me  :P  Don't bother with the betty RobertO,  you'll end up casting to the other side of the lake,  let alone create a crater where it lands  ;D  I toss flies there.  Size 14/16 chronnies and hare's ears slay.  Otherwise a regular worm on a bobber should work.  If you're interested in a challenge, try hooking up one of the monster goldfish in there.  They seem disinterested in EVERYTHING.  >:(

BirdNester

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 10:46:55 PM »

timbers in august? don't bother   :)  try late september once it starts to get MUCH cooler and even then,  in the evenings or early early mornings.  Keep it to early spring.  They've recently changed the regs this year to a 1 fish limit as opposed to the previous 4/day.  Also they lifted the artificial fly/lure or worms only regulation  :'(  So now the powerbaiters can fish w/o getting hassled by me  :P  Don't bother with the betty RobertO,  you'll end up casting to the other side of the lake,  let alone create a crater where it lands  ;D  I toss flies there.  Size 14/16 chronnies and hare's ears slay.  Otherwise a regular worm on a bobber should work.  If you're interested in a challenge, try hooking up one of the monster goldfish in there.  They seem disinterested in EVERYTHING.  >:(

Since we are neighbours and apparently former school mates, we should hook up some time and go there for fun. I'll bring my son and you can show us the ropes. Just PM me sometime.
RobertO

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 09:04:44 AM »

http://www.bcfisheries.gov.bc.ca/fishinv/surveydata.html
Wade through this site.  You can all the info you need right down to where the stocked fish came from.

TtotheE

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 06:59:52 PM »

Actually,  I went to the "other" school up/down the street  ;)
I've heard of poachers taking 10+ fish per day from there, quite saddening.  Haven't seen em myself to make a report.
There are a few bozos who wade into the water with their waders.  People can't read?
Also talked to some old guy who's a regular stroller.  Spoke of some conspiracy theory against a game warden shaking the duck eggs to control the population? (he's never seen it done himself)
Also the lake was stocked with goldfish apparently by pet owners who can't take care of their pets in their own living space.  A few large ones survived.  Not to mention 2 turtles.  Rumoured to be snapping turtles that take duckings as an afternoon meal.

I'd love to show you around the lake. (not much to show tho!) Perhaps when the waters are cooler.  A nice quiet day to be had fishing at a lake with no (active)fish in it tho  ;D

BirdNester

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 08:43:34 PM »

OH, here's something I forgot to mention. I proposed to my girlfriend at that lake. About 3 years ago, heheeh, still not married. She said yes, so I dunno if I'll be too lucky there  :P
RobertO