Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying for some cutties  (Read 6560 times)

TtotheE

Trying for some cutties
« on: August 01, 2004, 10:53:12 PM »

goin out to the sockeye stinkfest at Herrling Island tommorrow, was wondering if anybody can steer me in the right direction in case I try for some cutties in the channels there if I get skunked real bad :)

I've only fished for springs/socks at the top of the island,  so don't know which side to try for cutties(or even if they're even there at this time of year).  I'm assuming the channels away from the main stem of the Fraser.

Also, any suggestions on patterns?  Leeches?  Muddlers?

Thanks in advance.

Tak

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re:Trying for some cutties
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 10:59:39 PM »

Try bead-head muddlers and tiny black micro leeches. Epoxy minnows are good as well. I have fished there a couple times, watch out for the whitefish, they will hammer the muddlers when feeding! Good Luck!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 11:01:44 PM »

Work the back channels. If you like the looks of it give it a couple casts. Will be surprised with results if they are in the location and feeding.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 11:03:09 PM by tHe TrOuT sLaYeR »

TtotheE

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 11:06:32 PM »

thanks for the swift reply!  Whitefish, pikeminnows,  any fast action will be nice for a change  ;) I'd rather my brother in law who'll be going with me enjoy some fly fishing away from the crowds in case I smell the stink comin on  ;D

I'll probably be taking my 4 weight with a dry line.  I'd have to switch over to a 7 if I'm looking for a sinktip since I only have a dry line for my 4.

Time to tie up some patterns  :D

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 12:48:15 AM »

Make it out and give it a try? How you do?

Best time for Cutthroat on the local rivers is usually early year- May. Fishing can be productive year round though....if their there and hungry a nice minnow pattern will definetly interest them.

The fish in my photo was taken back in February at a local slough on a weighted muddler, put up a good fight for it's size. Snapped the pic and away it swam.

TtotheE

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 09:09:43 AM »

not yet  :) had to wait on my sister to get her act together (duck)
hopefully we have time today!