Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alice Lake?  (Read 9010 times)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
Alice Lake?
« on: July 17, 2004, 06:57:35 PM »

Maybe going fly fishing tomorrow on Alice Lake- a family camping situation.

Which ones of the lakes in the park are good for fishing (and specifically fly fishing).  I have been to Alice L. but not to the other lakes in the park.  Also if you post a reply, pls let me know access to the other lakes (good road, etc.).

otto

Re:Alice Lake?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 07:19:22 PM »

Stump Lake is a nice lake to flyfish in if you have a float tube or can wade out from shore a bit (be careful soft mucky bottom and drops off to about 100 feet 5-10 feet from shore).

check regs for stocking info/limits

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 07:34:30 PM »

Stump Lake is a nice lake to flyfish in if you have a float tube or can wade out from shore a bit (be careful soft mucky bottom and drops off to about 100 feet 5-10 feet from shore).

check regs for stocking info/limits

Hey, Otto, thanks.  How's access to Stemp Lake (paved road?).  Are there camping sites next to it?  I have also heard good things about Stump Lake.  I can launch my inflatable boat.

otto

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 07:47:28 PM »

Stump Lake is near alice lake. easy walking from the alice lake campsite to stump via a paced road, then a flat wooded trail (maps everywhere at the parking kiosk) ...very good lake for a small inflatable, float tube, canoe etc!!!

good luck and happy camping!! 8)

bring your fishing pole for the kids!!! they can "dab" a float/bobber/worm in stump lake from the shore!!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 07:48:24 PM by otto »

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 07:50:43 PM »

Stump Lake is near alice lake. easy walking from the alice lake campsite to stump via a paced road, then a flat wooded trail (maps everywhere at the parking kiosk) ...very good lake for a small inflatable, float tube, canoe etc!!!

good luck and happy camping!! 8)

bring your fishing pole for the kids!!! they can "dab" a float/bobber/worm in stump lake from the shore!!!

Thanks, Otto.  Sounds like a fun lake to fish, and looks like we are going.   I will keep my Chironomids handy as well, as I think the fish will be deep with the current heat wave.

Fishing report on Monday.

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 08:42:22 PM »

Actually ended up going to Hicks Lake.  Spent a lot of time with the family, and very little fishing.  Did not see any fish jumping there, and did not see anyone catch anything.

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 12:09:52 PM »

Finally got to Alice Lake for a wonderful sunny weekend and serious swimming :D :D

Did a bit of fishing, but no luck.  Did not see the float tubers that I saw last time. Did not see anyone catching anything.  Talked to a local from squamish and he said it's got "fished out".  

TtotheE

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 08:58:04 AM »

I was told by a guide that for that lake all you need is a black or red doc.  Back in June I tied a few for my dad and he was catching them pretty well.  I caught a few on a #16 chironomid.

Next time you go, and there are fish(just stocked or earlier in the season) try the drop-off area between the two beaches.  Just cast towards shore and retrieve.  Alot of hits near the big rocks,  and under overhanging branches.  We were in float tubes,  so when it got windy we placed ourselves by the fallen tree to keep ourselves from getting drifted.

Bubbles

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 10:47:57 AM »

I went in the fall one day, pouring rain and not a sole to be seen except for the ducks and loons. Quite a nice change to the crowds of summer.

Cast out a black leach on a sinking line and caught a few small bows and cutties from shore - let em all go except one that was unfortunatly hooked pretty bad and even a barbless hook rendered it fatally wounded. So we kept it and put it aside - next thing we know this massive bald eagle swoops down and takes it for lunch.

What a site and we were rest assured that the fish was enjoyed by someone. I guess the eagle got tired of eating rotten salmon on the Squamish!

Bubbles' Rap
I got a grey kitty, white one, and a tabby too/
And a big orange guy who put snakes in my shoes

markyboy

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 11:07:55 AM »

I've always found Alice Lake fishes best early in the season up to say June, and fishes the best for 2 or 3 weeks after stocking. Usually I give them a week or so to leave the dock area and spread out through the lake.

This past year was probably one of the best we've had with some larger (1 1/2 lb for Alice Lake) fish being caught each time we went.  You'll catch lots of fish but my experience was that there are larger fish at Hick's.

I think they restock it late summer so when the weather cools off again it'll pick up.

Leech patterns work best for me pretty much all along the spots TtotheE mentioned but when they are biting they'll take almost anything due to the competition for food and the large amounts being stocked.