Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flipper issues  (Read 11096 times)

FishOn36

Flipper issues
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:34:23 PM »

I bought a pair of $60 "Protac" flippers along with my float tube on Saturday from Army & Navy, took the setup out to Rolley lake on Sunday and had a hell of a time with the flippers falling off. I was wearing them over my neoprenes (with no boots or shoes of any kind), they are size Large and I wear size 12 shoes. Initially I adjusted the straps on them to where it was comfortable, but just after kicking off shore they almost fell off. So I cranked them a bit tighter and my big toes were crunched pretty good..at the end of the day I could barely kick back to shore. I'm wondering if I should be wearing some kind of shoes with them? or are they too big/small or something, or just plain crappy flippers? If that's the case I'll have to try and return them and check out wholesale sports for a better set  :-\

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Flipper issues
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:06:57 PM »

My Protac fins from A&N don't have the problem that you describe, however one fin also broke in half  ::)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24335.0

FishOn36

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:27:12 PM »

My Protac fins from A&N don't have the problem that you describe, however one fin also broke in half  ::)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24335.0

I'm not sure what the deal is with these things....were u wearing any kind of shoe with them or just directly of neoprenes?

doja

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:04:57 AM »

I'm pretty sure you MUST wear shoes with them :D  I've never heard of anyone not wearing something over the neos.

Any kind will do like runners but I'd think a higher cut hiker may work better as it hold onto your ankle better and be less stress on your foot with more padding.

Grab a pair from a thrift store for cheap.

FishOn36

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:28:29 AM »

I'm pretty sure you MUST wear shoes with them :D  I've never heard of anyone not wearing something over the neos.

Any kind will do like runners but I'd think a higher cut hiker may work better as it hold onto your ankle better and be less stress on your foot with more padding.

Grab a pair from a thrift store for cheap.

LOL  :-[
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:17:12 AM by FishOn36 »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:59:13 AM »

are the flippers you have the same as the top set here ??

http://www.gonefishinshop.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page11.html

I had pretty much the exact same ones but my flipper part was a clearish white colour but still made by Pro-Tac. I used to wear mine over just the neo's and yes had to have them very tight. tried them over several pairs of shoes and none were ever comfortable or just plain didnt work.

I did use a pair of those slip on Neo beach shoes and they worked ok .......... if they stayed on  >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

FishOn36

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 01:12:11 AM »

are the flippers you have the same as the top set here ??

http://www.gonefishinshop.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page11.html

I had pretty much the exact same ones but my flipper part was a clearish white colour but still made by Pro-Tac. I used to wear mine over just the neo's and yes had to have them very tight. tried them over several pairs of shoes and none were ever comfortable or just plain didnt work.

I did use a pair of those slip on Neo beach shoes and they worked ok .......... if they stayed on  >:(

Yes they're the same ones, color and all. It's gonna be hard to find a pair of shoes that will fit in these things....might as well just try returning them and look elsewhere for something better  :-\
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:15:50 AM by FishOn36 »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 01:23:48 AM »

try the little beach swimming shoes. they did work, just not as well for me as i had hoped, they worked better for my dad for some reason  :-\

you did remember to take out the hard plastic insert that should have been inside them right ?? my step mom forgot to take hers out and kept asking why they felt like they were cutting into her feet LOL

the only upgrade from these flippers will be the $100 force fins that actually tie around your wading boots and you can actually walk in them (sort of) and im meaning the curved up fins not the other ones on that link i put up. my dad has those and they work  but arent very strong.
Check out our new blog

gofishon

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 09:14:22 AM »

I have fished with a guy who retired his $150 force fins in favour of these flimsy little things he bought on line. They specifically work with a wading boot. They were almost like a flat piece of black plastic that had a couple of straps on them. He said they worked great. He even bought a pair for his 9 year old son and they were inexpensive.  ???

FishOn36

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 10:35:05 AM »

you did remember to take out the hard plastic insert that should have been inside them right ?? my step mom forgot to take hers out and kept asking why they felt like they were cutting into her feet LOL

I did take the inserts out, where can I find those "Force fins" ?

EDIT: would these help at all? http://www.eagleeyecanada.com/Protac-Protac_River_Rat_Hi_Top_Boot_1.html
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:05:00 AM by FishOn36 »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »

those booties were designed for use with flippers !! of course they would help and you also wouldnt have to walk on the ground with your neo's. I had cheapy ones from crappy tire that were not high tops and they slid off sometimes but these ones would be WAY better.
Check out our new blog

gumby

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »

i had the same problem, went and bought wet shoes from the tackle shop, not only do they protect the soles of your waders, makes the flippers fit nicer and snug and comfortable

FishOn36

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 12:31:15 PM »

those booties were designed for use with flippers !! of course they would help and you also wouldnt have to walk on the ground with your neo's. I had cheapy ones from crappy tire that were not high tops and they slid off sometimes but these ones would be WAY better.

Nice, I was looking at those when I was at Army & Navy...will pickup a pair when I go back there!

gofishon

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »

Those neo booties are what I use also (bought mine at Bass Pro in Vegas cheap). Not only do they help keep the flippers on and protect the waders when walking, they keep your feet warm ;D.

fisher man

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 05:16:20 PM »

You do not need boots the flippers should fit over the neo's.My suggestion is to return them and buy another pair.