Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish river Updates???  (Read 6098 times)

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
Squamish river Updates???
« on: November 10, 2007, 03:20:18 PM »

Havent been out in ages...Has the river picked up at all guys?

crack a dawn

Re: Squamish river Updates???
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 04:36:51 PM »

come on,, someone has to have an update. :D

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:54:04 PM »

was out today crack a dawn, where i was is fishing very well. got one today that hardly had any purple bars on it. alot of fish coming in with lice on them still. there are quite a few fish that have turned as well but  there are still alot of freshies out there. i got the largest bull trout i have ever caught today, big bugger weighed eight or nine pounds! will be interesting to find out what the final numbers of fish are that have come in the system. appears that they were very late this year......if this is the case in four years it will be a bumper crop due to no retention. had a good time out there today and met another forum member......

there are alot of fish around; where we were anyway ;) ;)
always a student

crack a dawn

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 07:37:38 PM »

hey sounds good Dereke.. Im heading  up bright and early...I ll let ya know how it goes..

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 07:53:16 PM »

if you hit the mouth of the mamquam give me a report. the last time i was there about a week ago it was void of fish, very few moving through.

thanks
always a student

Shore Lunch

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 12:32:20 AM »

Nice chatting with you today Derek and was impressed with some of the hogs you were hauling in.
I am still unsure if this years run is small or they are just running really late.  The tigers were moving through but perhaps a few less than the past couple weeks.  Water clarity was somewhat muddy but still fishable.  Water levels are definitely up with the recent rain.
Tight lines and dress warm out there as the snow line is coming lower each day.

crack a dawn

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 03:25:26 PM »

Fished the bar at the mouth of the mamquam.  Caught only 1 fresh dog about 10 pounds.  Also caught around a 8 pound bull trout on the Chekamus.   Talked to 2 diffferant people today,, and they both said that Saturday  was fantastic.  A large run went up and they both caught at least 10 each.  So they are there,, but in spurts. 

windknot

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »

Lots of rain, lots of wind, lots of fish.  Released a chrome 17(?) lb coho (31"L x 19"G).  My nicest fish ever out of that river and the first time in years that I didn't bring a camera.....but I still have the wet spot on the front of my jeans to remember it by :o

river-rod dyl

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 09:13:29 PM »

a 17lb coho.. wow that must of put up a hell of a fight!!  was this fish still in very good shape as in chrome?    sucks that you didnt bring the camera

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 09:39:45 PM »

hey dereke i think i saw you up there that day, you drive a white SUV? i thought you looked familiar just as you were driving off.
girls suck throw rocks at them!

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 11:11:53 PM »

where were you at brood dude??? i drive a pontiac vibe...... hahah  look for the gun metal grey vibe and i will be around. it is always a good time meeting forum members out there.
always a student

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 11:18:12 PM »

@windknot, the squamish can do that to a guy!!!!  and after today i challenge anyone to call themselves the master of the windkknot :o :o :o i must have changed leaders twenty times due to the wind!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:20:48 PM by dereke »
always a student

windknot

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 03:04:17 PM »

rrd

It was chrome as a nickel and looked like a football.  It came in surprisingly easy even though after the first jump I turned down the drag and played it ever so carefully.  Pound for pound I would say the dogs give a much better fight.

derek

When it's windy like it was yesterday I try to keep my false casts to a minimum - usually 1, 2 at the most, and I do it almost sidearm to keep the line low and out of the wind.  I leave a lot of line in the water after the retrieve and crank on it as hard as I can with as much line as possible to load the rod and get the speed up on the first backcast.  Knowing how to haul doesn't hurt either.  Not the prettiest to look at but I can still get good distance and the less time in the air, the fewer wind knots I get.  And because of the angle of the cast, the roll of the line and the direction of the wind yesterday I found that it was putting a perfect mend in the line when it hit the water.  And you're right about the Squamish. There's nothing better than when a fresh run comes in from the ocean.

For everybody else, don't all go running up to the Squamish with expectations of lots of coho.  That was my first coho out of seven outings up there this year, it was wild, there was nobody else fishing where I was and I caught it on a fly of my own design. 

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 09:53:02 PM »

agreed that the hoes are fewand far between >:(
always a student

mci

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 03:11:52 PM »

Was thinking about driving up tomorrow. Any news?