Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommendation for new fish finder?  (Read 13513 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Recommendation for new fish finder?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »

I bought one yesterday at the boat show. Got the Hummingbird Helix 5, the Sonar/GPS model and it came with the Navionics Gold card. Wouldn't say I got a smoking deal, $480 with is about 30 bucks off the going rate.

Decided against the Elite 5 CHIRP for a couple reasons. First, they are discontinued and the only ones left were models I didn't want (SI and DI). Apparently the new Lowrance is called HOOK or something like that. Steveston's etc did not have them for sale yet.

Also, the CHIRP transducers are MASSIVE! I was looking at the one that came with the DI/SI model, and well as the one that came with the Raymarine Dragonfly. Shaped like a banana! My boat does not have a swim grid to cover/protect it, and I can totally see some bonehead smucking it. Not a bit deal if it gets smucked up/down, but laterally it could snap off. I realize it's function over fashion here, but I just didn't like the CHIRP transducers.

Not going to install it until spring. Looking forward to trying it out!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Recommendation for new fish finder?
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 10:47:09 AM »

This one looks sweet. However it seems to have pretty much the same "guts" (transducer, etc) as the Helix 5. Also, where I mount my FF near the windshield on my boat a 7 inch screen would be too jammed in. My Helix 5 also came with the Nav Gold card :D

Thanks though this is a smoking deal on this unit.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/73883/humminbird-859ci-hd-combo