Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cutties  (Read 5902 times)

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
Re: cutties
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 06:53:52 PM »

You can find cutties anywhere in the Fraser that has a nice slow to no flow. Sidechannels, confluences of feeder creeks/rivers or even big back eddies. You can find spots just driving and walking but using a boat would definitely allow access to more untouched areas. I fish with cooked single eggs, Jensen eggs, or roe. You generally will find whitefish in the same areas as the cutties along with the occasional bull trout. Good luck...
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 07:15:13 PM »

Hi guys. One thing in particular that I find works very well for Whitefish and Cutties  especially in the Stave is Krill under a float and on a very small hook. The late winter and early Spring I find the best for the Whitefish. I catch a lot more Whitefish than Cutties in the Stave. The Cutties seem to hang out more in the bottom end by the slack water, while the Whitefish tend to be in more moving water.

No_way

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 01:54:46 AM »

I've always had pretty good luck bar fishing for them in the lower fraser.  Bar rig loaded up with garden worms (dew worms don't work nearly as well) is just killer.   Never caught a single one on roe.  Cutties are so fun!

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 10:09:25 AM »

Yeah we bottom fish with worms up this way as well in the really slow water. It can be deadly sometimes, we use dewies and they seem to work fine but maybe I should dig a few out of the garden to try...
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 10:13:32 PM »

That is an awesome cutthroat.