Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cutties  (Read 5901 times)

buckknife

cutties
« on: December 26, 2005, 07:47:58 PM »

i need a little help.having hard time finding them it is like they are ghost fish.any kind of help would so kind.thanks rick ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: cutties
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 08:20:29 PM »

Are you talking about rivers or estuary ?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 03:46:51 AM »

that's the beauty of cuttie fishin. when the steelhead rivers are blown and if you know when and where, there are sea run and esident cutts to chase after. some of my favorite fishing. gonna go out thursday to my sacred secret spot. i'll tell ya if i find some , but don't ask me where  ;D

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 09:23:32 AM »

Once you find them they are easy to catch on the fly.

Problem is finding them, they show themselves eventually, lots of hiking and watching the water.

They are usually in certian areas like ....... or ........ and hang out behind obstructions.

After catching a few in one area they will not take the same fly or even show themselves, move on or give the water a 20 minute rest or you can try another fly, they will know your fly and wont touch it after seeing it a few times.

Cutthroat fishing is like hunting! Most times you willl have sore legs from a day out fishing for them if on foot ;D
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 10:49:27 PM »

Like the other guys said you have to hunt for them and yes you are right they are like ghosts. My first experince with them was when I use to fish off the docks in Ioco when I was a kid back in the 60's. A freind of mine taught me how to chuck flatfish for them, out of nowhere you would two or three chase the lure and then vanish before our eyes like phantoms. Here's a few tricks #1 stay out of the water if possible untill you spot them. When you spot them stay down stream of them and try to keep yourself in a riffle the brocken water will stop sound vibrations from traveling in front of you. Brocken water aslo helps make you less vissable (cutties spook evey easily). #2 Look for jumpers, remember the old addage "moving fish are feeding fish." Don't be fooled by the pods  you find holding without showing any surface action; if they aren't moving they aint biting. #3 watch your tides. In many of our local water ways they move in and out with the tide. 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

buckknife

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 01:51:02 PM »

i like to thank all of you guys for the info.will be heading out sat.will give it another try for those babies.thanks again  and have great year of fishing rick from cloverdale

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 02:24:01 PM »

Rick from cloverdale..... I think i remeber a rick from cloverdale. do you live in shannon hills?

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 05:06:06 PM »

I just got home from cuttie fishing the Fraser. Couldn't believe the number of guys out there. Must be because the Vedder's blown, I had 8 guys go through the section I wanted to fish before me and I don't usually see anybody. Needless to say, all I caught were whitefish...

A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 08:18:33 PM »

I love catching whitefish. I hear the stave has a bunch but i have only ever caught a couple there.
weeeeeeeeeow!

buckknife

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 08:56:34 PM »

kellya i have 2 brothers that live there bob wayne but they don't fish .anyways ever need a fishing partner let me know ;D ;D

bederko

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 06:09:23 PM »

There's tons of whitefish in the Fraser backwaters here in Chilliwack. Just fish with single eggs under a float or on the bottom with real small gear and you'll catch them. There are some good sized whiteys too and they do fight really well on light gear.
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

bederko

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 06:13:54 PM »

By the way... The trout hatchery stocks both sterile and non-sterile searun cutthroat into the Fraser near Rosedale as well as the Harrison. Just wondering how many of you ever target cutties specifically on these systems? Do you ever keep any fish or are you strictly catch&release?

buckknife

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 07:19:20 PM »

i myself release most fish unless someone ask for one.my wife and i don't eat fishwe like to fish cause we like being near the water. 8)

bederko

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 09:50:20 AM »

Bill, are you fishing near Rosedale or on the Harrison? There are also cutthroat released into the Alouette. A lot of the hatchery fish will probably return somewhere near where they were released, that would explain why you catch the clipped fish in a certain area. Do you fish cutties alot?

roeman

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 01:34:16 PM »

New to fishing for cutties, are you guys walking around or in a boat?  what kind of water do you look for?  any info what be helpful
Are you fishin or catchin