Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carrying out Salmon after fishing  (Read 5918 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Carrying out Salmon after fishing
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »

Stick the bottom end of your rod handle through the gills and out the mouth  ;D then carry back to the vehicle like a hobo stick

a good length of wood found along the stream bank or in the brush can do the same. I carried 3 coho and a spring out of the Alison pool area that way some years ago.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 05:21:23 PM »

.......one rod ,,no net, vest not backpack and a crotch branch cut on site....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

DanTfisherman

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 10:28:46 PM »

I have been doing this for years and have not found a good answer.

For me, I have hiked out of the Nitnat and other systems on the island back in the day with limits.
Over here, it is the Chehalis Canyon and a few other locations, and often 30-40 minute hikes, with a limit of 4 fish.
Many of the methods suggested are impractical if you are going to do this on a regular basis.
Doing a long hike with the added weight of a burlap sack is not fun.
I used to do this on the Fraser in the old days of the Sockeye and spring fishing fests.
Vest with a spring, two sockeye, a burlap sack in a garbage bag is heavy.
Also, no matter how hard you try and plan, you tend to get "damp" as well.

For me, I have one of the Mustang Inflatables in an XL, with the open back pouch.
This has been best for me.
I tend to use heavy duty Costco garbage bags.
Things I have found is for one, all teeth and pointy snouts will pierce garbage bags, thus vest stinks and I have come to accept that.
The bags get fine thin rips and leak as well.
A slimy vest which later drys with crispy stains and smells is the way it is for me.

One way to solve this is one of my buddies has found a tackle shop that sells heavy duty clear plastic bags in a tube shape (long and skinny) like a fish profile.  These are expensive, but work well.  I do not like them, for I think the bags can hold 2 fish each efficiently.  Place two sets of two fish in bags, then try to place them in a vest leads to a lot of movement and the fish sliding out.

Another buddy has a specific tote bag made by Simms for the purpose of transporting expired fish.
I am not sure if it is rubber, rubber lined, or some kind of breathable material with a liner.
The tote is the grey colour of Simms waders.  To describe it, it looks like a large sleeping bag storage bad, with back pack straps and a toggled draw string at the top so you can cinch it up.  It is long and tall.
Of course it stinks like fish, but this is pretty much it's intended purpose.

Finally, one other buddy has the biggest looking polyester/nylon fishing vest I have ever seen.
I myself think it is ugly and do not like the feel of the material, but the fish pouch at the back dwarfs my cotton Mustang vest and it's pouch at the back.
Works well for him, and on occasion, he can spray it off/out with a hose, or put it in the washing machine as well.

Two worse experiences I have had to date was hauling out a limit of coho out of a canyon and ropes, with 2 of the fish being 12 lbs or so.  Bag shifted lots and was not fun.  Other one was hiking out of the NitNat with two springs, one being 55 lbs and the other being 52 lbs.  The partner had a bad back and could not pack his fish.  Finally gave up on the vest and had to put a dog leash through the gills and drag the fish on the leaves and moss.  We quickly had two bears following us too close for comfort, and an aggressive black lab that felt the need to protect.  I am still not sure if he helped or hindered the situation.

I also should add any method that involves you packing fish in some way using hand or hands as a way to hold the fish results in trouble.  If you need to grab a hold of things to help balance you, I find hands are needed.  also, walking on rocks, unstable ground, etc or what-not, it only takes one tumble, and your fish are down, and either dirty, bruised, you land on them, the possibilities are endless.

Dano
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:32:07 PM by DanTfisherman »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 06:20:08 AM »

I fish with someone else and just before we are ready to leave i pretend that my back is out.
Not only do they carry my fish but also my rod and and vest too.
They even buy the coffee on the way home because i cant even reach around and get to my wallet.
Anyone wanna go fishin?

jimstone

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »

If you've run into the old guy with the old school trapper nelson backpack that's me...Always hike to fish somewhere trying to stay away from other fishermen. Been using these packs and burlap sacks to carry fish out for 30 years...the burlap is great to keep birds and sun off your catch during the day and when its time to go home I slide the burlap sack into a large black garbage bag, put it in the pack and throw in the rest of my gear. When I get home I wash out burlap  sack and garbage bag .the burlap dries quick and can be used the next day. Carrying fish out on a stick or carabiner is ok if its a quick hike but if you have to climb or descend or bushwhack a pack is the only way to go and the trapper nelson will hold more than you can carry. These backpacks come up on craigslist every so often and are cheap and bullet proof. I use spray waterproofing on mine to make it super easy to clean with a garden hose

TNAngler

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 08:28:43 AM »

I said burlap but what we used wasn't burlap.  It was actually more like a thick bed sheet material (three or four layers of sheets together).  It was almost like something you would find jumper cables in.  So, heavy duty, fish wouldn't break it and yet take the hose to it, let it air dry and it is ready for the next trip.  Plus, if you get it a little wet as stated before it kept the fish nice and cool.  Didn't weigh much either, maybe a pound?

Madmardigan

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »

Use a retired hockey or goalie bag. Firewood on the trip in, fish on the way out. It'll last until the first time you forget to spray it out.

Old Blue

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 05:16:03 AM »

Find a decent stick that's not rotten (dry drift wood is the best) and feed your fish through the gills and throw it on your shoulder and use the front of stick for leverage and the fish over your back.  Leave stick by your vehicle and no bag to clean, you just have to rinse the back of your jacket.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2019, 07:00:10 AM »

Blue Ikea bag,  carries 4 coho nicely, and the occasional stinky spring up to the high 20s.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:02:02 AM by bigsnag »
It ain't the roe bro'

chironomidking

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 08:04:34 AM »

River vest and fish bags - fish fit nicely in the main pouch and the big ones wrap around my lower back nicely.  Can take up to four 15 pounders with ease as I recently found out during my northern bc coho trip.   Even without the fish bags, the vest fabric cleans up easily.

roseph

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM »

A friend of mine uses his Patagonia dry back pack with garbage bags as a liner.  Super comfy, can walk a long way with it and fit four good sized salmon no problem.

That particular bag is not cheap but any large style back pack with a drawstring style opening (similar to a sleeping bag stuff sack) will work.

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2019, 10:40:36 AM »

I just tried the Ikea Big Blue Bag with my fish in a Garbage bag inside.  It was perfect for my short haul 15 min walk to the car.  It folds nicely into my fishing backpack.
I think I will stick to this method.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2019, 08:42:02 PM »

big old vest, more that ten years maybe 15 years old.  Holds two coho easy, or garbage i find or thermos of coffee so i dont leave cups everywhere, Extra cloths and on good days all of the above. My record is 70 lbs of bouncing betties in a back pack and two socks on a stick up from Scale bar. Buddy had to help me up to my feet when i put the pack on.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 09:47:15 PM »

My record is 70 lbs of bouncing betties in a back pack

And to think I was wondering how you picked your user name