Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carrying out Salmon after fishing  (Read 5917 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
Carrying out Salmon after fishing
« on: October 01, 2019, 09:31:12 AM »

Curious,

What are clever ways to carry out your fish after you catch your limit and have to walk a KM or more...

When I go, I usually have 2-3 rods, a backpack, a net and find it cumbersome to haul the fish back to the car.

Often a garbage bag will break unless you double bag it and that is no guarantee.  Large pieces of drift wood thru the gills works but is still awkward..

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Carrying out Salmon after fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:48:23 AM »

It's a good problem to have!  A rope or chain generally is ok for coho, but  I find with Springs they are too long so I just have to carry it by the gills lest I drag it on the ground.  When I know I am in for a long hike I will bring an external-frame pack, put the fish in a trash bag and put them head-down in the backpack - springs will have the tail sticking out of the top, nothing to be done about that.  If your backpack carries your tackle, it could be hard to do this (I use a vest). 

I've been looking for a suitably sized and shaped cooler backpack, but they don't seem to be tall enough.

Probably a soft-sided catch cooler would be a good option for you, as it could be folded and carried in your tackle backpack until you need it, then carried out with one hand full of fish - plus you can periodically set it down when it gets heavy without worrying about getting your fish dirty, etc.

Also, the old style vest with the large wrap-around back pocket has always been a popular way to carry out fish, but you better make sure it is in a good plastic bag first or your vest will really get slimed up.

As you can see, I've spent way too much time thinking about this.  ;D

TNAngler

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »

We always used to keep a burlap sack or heavy cloth sack in the backpack.  That way you can sling it over your back to carry fish out and you can easily spray it out with a hose, let it air dry and have it ready for the next time.  Gives you more strength than garbage bags.  If you are creative enough you could even tie it around the backpack so your shoulders are carrying the burden

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 10:02:35 AM »

"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 10:10:22 AM »

Hide the fish somewhere, drive back to pick up.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »

We always used to keep a burlap sack or heavy cloth sack in the backpack.  That way you can sling it over your back to carry fish out and you can easily spray it out with a hose, let it air dry and have it ready for the next time.  Gives you more strength than garbage bags.  If you are creative enough you could even tie it around the backpack so your shoulders are carrying the burden

same here. Wet burlap will also help keep your catch cool while you continue fishing.

I am sure there are better solutions than burlap. Amazon has a myriad of duffles and totes in the $30 to $60 range

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00UZP2TFE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Military-Duffel-Double-Canvas-Backpack/dp/B0787W1JXN/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=canvas+duffle+bag&qid=1569952600&sr=8-7

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »

Some fishermen in Oregon use a large carabiner.

EricBou

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 11:26:08 AM »

A friend from the Skeena gave me a good tip... look for a CARRY BAG used for folding camping chair ... the bigger the better... with a sling to help transport... Just keep it wet!!! You are set...

If you need more than one carry bag per fishing day trip... I really really envy you! ;-)

243Pete

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 02:42:35 PM »

A friend gave me an extra cargo net for a mini van (I believe it was a Dodge Caravan) and I've been using it to carry out springs, and the assortment for a while, I only modified it a bit by adding a shoulder strap from a old lap top bag I never use anymore, closing up half of the bag with mono so it's like a half open envelope, it's nice cause the fish sits more like a cradle position instead of the head or tail pointing straight down which tends to rip bags open. Small enough to be fitted into my sling bag but strong enough to carry out a big spring and two coho without issue.

I used to use a Vedder vest till I tried to carry back a very large spring and it ripped...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 02:47:58 PM »

I carry my fish out by hand, always try to minimize the use of bags which need to be disposed afterward. The fish are put in the tub once I am back at the vehicle (since I'm ten minute drive from my house, or in a cooler with ice if I am on a trip). Once fish are back at the house, they go in the kitchen, get filleted, processed, either stored in containers and the fridge if to be eaten within a few days, or vacuum packed for the freezer.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 02:50:03 PM »

I use a cooler since I fish out of the boat more often than not these days. If I'm walks I usually jam a stick thru the gills and carry them over my shoulder.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 02:50:16 PM »

I don't have that problem. I sell my catch on the spot. It's far easier to carry an extra 50$ bill back to the car than a 30-pound spring.
I then visit my friendly FN neighbor and buy 4 sockeye fillets from his food and ceremonial quota for the 50$. Problem solved.  :P

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 03:15:56 PM »

I don't have that problem. I sell my catch on the spot. It's far easier to carry an extra 50$ bill back to the car than a 30-pound spring.
I then visit my friendly FN neighbor and buy 4 sockeye fillets from his food and ceremonial quota for the 50$. Problem solved.  :P
:o ;D ;D ;D ;D
That is sooo me to  ;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 03:17:33 PM »

I use large carabiners, fit 2 fish per carabiner. You can pick them up at any outdoor shop MEC, Canadian Tire, etc. There are even some fancy ones with padding on the sides to make it that much easier to carry.

glfish88

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 05:10:37 PM »

Stick the bottom end of your rod handle through the gills and out the mouth  ;D then carry back to the vehicle like a hobo stick