Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Losing a dog  (Read 5911 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Losing a dog
« on: August 08, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »

No matter how many times you have to do it, euthanizing your dog is so hard :'( Yesterday that’s what I had to do to my faithful companion Molly.  Her liver disease was advancing rapidly, and $2500 later, my vet convinced me it would not improve, and she would be in even more discomfort if we delayed the inevitable.
She was a rescue dog from Los Angeles and when we took her in 5 years ago she was terrified of just about everything.  After about 2 years she finally trusted me and the people and other dogs we met. She became my faithful companion and went nearly everywhere with me, even gained the status of “shop dog” at Fred’s …   gonna miss her big time.
Rest in peace Molly, hope there’s lots of rabbits to chase up there.

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
Re: Losing a dog
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 04:58:54 PM »

My condolences, sounds like you gave her a great life. I know how hard it is.

Alomar

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »

Just had a sip for Molly

Stewie

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »

Sorry for your loss.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 09:57:31 PM »

It ain't the roe bro'

fullahead

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 06:17:58 AM »

Sorry for your loss.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »

Animals are so much of many families life and we too have suffered several losses like you have just experienced.
It is never easy and we have shed many a tear so many times even over a pet crow we had for several years and travelled with us for our first 11 years of marriage.

Our back yard has many crosses to remind us of them in our pet cementery.

Molly was a lovely dog and will be very hard to replace but hopefully you will be able to find another one to walk that trail with you each morning, remembering that a dog is truly ones best friend.

My thought are with you today and thanks for giving Molly that great life,  a life  that she would not have had without your love and care to her.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 09:40:16 AM »

Dogs give us all the love they can.When I had to put my Duck Toller down.It broke my heart.I know it will be a while before I am ready for another.Meanwhile we are sharing ownership of my neighbours Lab.Even he will be a major stress when the time comes.
Riverman

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »

So sorry for your loss. :'( God Bless you and your family!

juno

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 07:29:50 PM »

I had to put my last dog down, she had cancer in the shoulder.  I was literally crying. What a beautiful dog.  one year later,  now a new dog  another beautiful dog, we Have had her 6 years,  she is in her senior years, doing well,  dogs are cool,  she likes fishing!! sorry dogs are sweet

Burbot

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 03:50:20 AM »

Sorry for your loss.  I had to do the same thing in Feb 2013 to my lab. It sucks. It really does to lose a family member (pet).

DRP79

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 07:23:25 AM »

Sorry for your loss Dave.

Flubberdubber

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 11:32:13 AM »

Lost our 8 year old yellow lab just a few months ago to spleen cancer! Cried like a baby for days, now have a new pup Captain, will never be the same but still fills the house with bounding energy and unconditional love. They are truly our best friends! All the best from our family Dave.

rezak

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 12:40:38 PM »

Sorry to hear that.   I lost another about a month ago and it never gets easier.  Just remember the good times.

TNAngler

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 01:10:42 PM »

Sorry for your loss.  I had to put a dog down about 3 months ago, a cat 2 months and and another 1 month ago.  Dog had either liver disease or anemia but either way there was nothing to do.  Both cats had cancer.  Been a rough couple months.  I only cried with one of the cats because he had been with my family for almost 10 years, my entire daughter's life and even though he had gotten pretty bad, he fought it and wasn't ready to go.  He was a great cat too, hilarious personality, would play fetch, just all around awesome.  The others were ready so they were easier.