Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One handed centerpin use  (Read 5939 times)

firebird

Re: One handed centerpin use
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »

Never seen anyone use a second hand on a pin rod either than on the reel, I fish a 13 foot all day one handed don't think two hands on the rod would feel right at all.

Well, if you're trying to fling your gear 100 metres out on the Thompson or Skeena, I can't see how you could manage with one hand. I'm pretty sure two hands are needed for casts like that - one on the bottom handle and the other near the top of the top handle. But I don't mingle much with the young guns ... just been sticking to the old school method for 40 yrs  ;)

I can use one hand for short casting, usually with my casting hand just above the reel and using the outside of my pinkie for spooling the reel - my index finger is used for line control. I guess it's more for giving the other arm a rest or keeping the hand warm.

I did witness an unusual method on Monday at the cement slab. The guy held his pin rod with his right hand behind the reel (bottom part of handle) and cast with one arm, using his thumb to spool the reel. He only used his left hand to reel in. He was using a float but twitching his tip regularly through the drift like a "bottom bouncer". His float was set to about twice the depth and his leader was about 3 ft long. He had a tiny tuft of peach wool on a relatively small hook (size 2?). The water was high and slightly coloured at the time. He hooked two fish and lost them both. It was odd to watch him play the fish holding the rod the same way with his right hand behind the reel and left on the reel handles. Have never seen a guy fishing this way before except for maybe the odd person who's never fished before  ;D This guy looked like he's been out enough to hone his specialized technique  ::)

mvelasco

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »

Well, if you're trying to fling your gear 100 metres out on the Thompson or Skeena, I can't see how you could manage with one hand. I'm pretty sure two hands are needed for casts like that - one on the bottom handle and the other near the top of the top handle. But I don't mingle much with the young guns ... just been sticking to the old school method for 40 yrs  ;)

I can use one hand for short casting, usually with my casting hand just above the reel and using the outside of my pinkie for spooling the reel - my index finger is used for line control. I guess it's more for giving the other arm a rest or keeping the hand warm.

I did witness an unusual method on Monday at the cement slab. The guy held his pin rod with his right hand behind the reel (bottom part of handle) and cast with one arm, using his thumb to spool the reel. He only used his left hand to reel in. He was using a float but twitching his tip regularly through the drift like a "bottom bouncer". His float was set to about twice the depth and his leader was about 3 ft long. He had a tiny tuft of peach wool on a relatively small hook (size 2?). The water was high and slightly coloured at the time. He hooked two fish and lost them both. It was odd to watch him play the fish holding the rod the same way with his right hand behind the reel and left on the reel handles. Have never seen a guy fishing this way before except for maybe the odd person who's never fished before  ;D This guy looked like he's been out enough to hone his specialized technique  ::)
I think I know what guy youre talking about. Grey hair and curly? If it is that same guy he certainly "honed" that technique.

firebird

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »

That's him.