Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One handed centerpin use  (Read 5938 times)

jim

One handed centerpin use
« on: January 15, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »

I have three questions re: the use of centerpin reels in one hand/arm. Who popularized this?
1) was it a one handed guy like Joe Kambiezt? or
2) was it a chain smoker?
 The reason I ask is I see so many people, young and old that are using the technique. I wonder if they think that is the only method. Some report it tiring them.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: One handed centerpin use
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »

Who is Joe Kambiezt ??

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 05:33:08 PM »

Who is Joe Kambiezt ??

...originator of the sqamish poacher shrimp fly....blew a hand off when he was a kid playing with a blasting cap.....also very active in fisheries stewardship ..................... .one handed cp is ok with a lighter rod but I find myself using two more often.More so with my 11'3"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:45:09 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Steve27

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »

Drag free drifts. When depth is set accurately , split shots applied properly and technique executed correctly the result is a drag free drift that presents the offering to the fish in the most natural way possible.

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »

how does that pretain to the thread steve?

zxcrazy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 08:51:17 PM »

lol

Steve27

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »

Are you dyslexic Zap? The reason he asked was he sees so many people using the technique. I just stated the reason most people I know , other guys i fish with and myself use a centerpin. Maybe go back and read his post look at it a few times and process what he ask.

colin6101

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 09:48:57 PM »

I believe he was asking why people use the one handed technique versus two. Not why people use centerpins in general.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »

Maybe go back and read his post look at it a few times and process what he ask.

lol… good advice. perhaps you can use it more than zap.

corgi

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »

I started with 11'3" medium CP rod.  I love it...and it can handle decent size fish.  It's a bit on the heavy side to hold with one hand all day long though so i usually switch between 1 and 2 hands. 

Having said that, I've used my CP on a 9' spinning rod that's alot lighter.  Not sure if there's any harm in doing so, but it's such a pleasure to fish with such a light setup with one hand.  I may just have to get a lighter proper CP rod once the coho / pinks are around again!  I'm not 100% sure if i should be even using a spin rod, but it felt alright and casted quite well!

and before I get bitch slapped on this forum....

1. Not sure who popularized this.
2. No idea.
3. Possibly.  I don't smoke though so when I have one hand on the rod, I use the other for digging into my snack pocket to keep my belly happy.

zap brannigan

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »

Are you dyslexic Zap? The reason he asked was he sees so many people using the technique. I just stated the reason most people I know , other guys i fish with and myself use a centerpin. Maybe go back and read his post look at it a few times and process what he ask.

I am dyslexic actually, but I seem to understand the topic a bit better than you seem too.

Maybe you should go back a few times and process what HE ask.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 05:08:06 AM »

I can keep my one hand warm until I need to do a longer range cast / reel.  That and its more comfortable for me to hold my center pin with one hand since I'm used to holding single hand fly rods, That's more or less why I fish a center pin too, Just more comfortable for me coming from fly, more control, more comfortable, and a better sense of feeling / fighting fish with the centerpin.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:22:05 AM by Ezio »

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 07:16:13 AM »

I agree with the one hand keeping warm thing.At least that is a lot of the reason.My 11'3 gets tiring as well.Drift control for me is more about tackle and current plus wind.I think I am going lighter next coho season.
Riverman

lapa

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »

I agree with the one hand keeping warm thing.At least that is a lot of the reason.My 11'3 gets tiring as well.Drift control for me is more about tackle and current plus wind.I think I am going lighter next coho season.
I also found it is little tiring with Sage 3113MB but with Sage 4106LLB it is very easy to fish all day using one handed technique.

zap brannigan

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »

Never seen anyone use a second hand on a pin rod either than on the reel, I fish a 13 foot all day one handed don't think two hands on the rod would feel right at all.