Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: frasier river help  (Read 5929 times)

Matt B.

frasier river help
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:20:28 PM »

hi, im new to this forum and am gonna be flying from Texas to british columbia the 25th of july ill be up there for almost a month and was wanting to catch some salmon. i will be in cowichan bay on the island for some most the time and in hope for about 6 days. i was wondering what is the best way to catch salmon in hope on the fraiser? also what gear would i need? what should i look for in the river? is there any good spots i should try? any help would be really apricated!! i also am only 16 so i dont have much money. and one more thing i dont care what kind of salmon i catch i just want to catch some!

Thanks,
Matt

Matt B.

Re: frasier river help
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:37:39 PM »

Please somebody! I need help or im gonna have to try to learn on my own

roeman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:35:31 PM »

Best thing to do is go into a local tackle shop, they can point you in the right direction as far as what to use and where to fish.
Are you fishin or catchin

rides bike to work

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 06:38:48 PM »

Near hope you can cast spoons in the mouth of jones creek or american creek up the canyon or get a bar rig and fish spin and glows on the main river there are lots of bars you can access from hope good luck.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »

they might open sockeye begining of aug. and hope is a good area. on the fraser river. you need a good  spining reel or baitcaster and 10ft rod for salmon and you have to cast 3oz of weight . local stores will fill you in on regs .etc.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:19:19 PM »

Hire a guide for a day foresure. ;)

roeman

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »

Hire a guide for a day foresure. ;)
Says he is 16 and not much money..
Don't waste your money on a guide, if sockeye opens just follow the crowd... lol
Are you fishin or catchin

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 08:28:16 AM »

Make sure you try Sturgeon fishing while in Hope as well.

Matt B.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:44:29 PM »

could i catch sturgeon off the shore? and would a 10'6" Shimano technium, 12#t0 20# Medium Fast, complete with quantum MG Classic reel be big enough for a smaller sturgeon?

Matt B.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 12:45:16 PM »

Near hope you can cast spoons in the mouth of jones creek or american creek up the canyon or get a bar rig and fish spin and glows on the main river there are lots of bars you can access from hope good luck.

What kind, color, and size of spoons?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »

Heavier gear is required for sturgeon fishing in the Fraser River because it is impossible to selectively target fish in a particular size class. Whenever you're fishing for sturgeon in the area that you mentioned, you may encounter fish from 1 foot to 10 feet. Majority of the fish that you will encounter are typically between 3 and 6ft long. The outfit that you mentioned will not be sufficient enough. In fact, it may just be borderline for the type of salmon fishing that you'd like to do in the area. Most of the sturgeon fishing is also done from a boat and not so possible from shore.

If you have a chance, head into Fred's Custom Tackle and Chilliwack Dart and Tackle to get the latest local information.

If you only have a day to fish and are able to convince your family, then it is a good idea to try a guided boat trip. A typical guided boat trip is 8 hours long and can be divided into half salmon half sturgeon fishing. It is much more costly than fishing from shore, but the experience is worth it.

Good luck and enjoy your trip here.

Matt B.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 04:09:48 PM »

also i heard jigging for salmon can be productive, anyone have any advice on that? favorite colors?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 04:33:41 PM »

Jigging is done in saltwater.

Matt B.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »

i was looking on the internet and it said something about jiging little marabou jigs in the river

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 05:55:15 PM »

I would imagine they were talking about using them under a float and drift fishing with the maribou jigs.