Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass in the vedder?  (Read 21809 times)

iblly

• Old Timer
Re: Bass in the vedder?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 07:38:37 AM »

Fisheries did a swim count last year and counted over 2000 bass with some in the 5-6 lb range
5-6 lbers in Cultus ! really ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »

3lb was was what was reported to me from the swim last year. It was four before they became active this year. ;) A 5 or 6lb fish would be a 20 year old fish....

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 09:41:35 AM »

how does one weigh a fish while swimming?

Having seen trout etc while skin diving - they 'look' bigger in the water than out. The diving mask may introduce some distortion.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 11:27:27 AM »

It's called an estimate.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 11:37:51 AM »

why not kill the bass while counting. 4lb bass can reproduce thousands little fish in one year

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 04:41:11 PM »

It's called an estimate.

Few people can eye ball a fish and make a near accurate assessment of weight. Over estimates are most common. My thought was doing it underwater makes that more likely.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

buck

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 05:45:33 PM »

Fished Cultus today, my partner caught 2 bass. 25 and 28 cm.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 08:18:34 PM »

Fished Cultus today, my partner caught 2 bass. 25 and 28 cm.
Were they 25 and 28 cm underwater, or just when you got them in the boat?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2019, 10:41:04 AM »

It's my understanding there are 3 year classes of Smallmouth bass in Cultus, the largest being 3 years old, app. 25 cm.  Whoever transplanted these fish knew exactly what they were doing and picked the perfect time for success. These bass will find plenty of food and will fill the niche left by pikeminnow removals.  They are definitely here to stay and imo, will soon compete with Largemouth bass in the newly created lower river wetlands.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »

Cultus Lake sockeye is a waste of money.
As much as we like to think helping the sockeye will result in a healthy population it won't.
With all the development happening around Cultus lake they are doomed.
You can't have a recreational lake and sockeye salmon.
Imagine all the gold fish that will be released into the lake now that every Tom, Dick and Harry has a cottage on the lake.
Are there any lakes with sustainable populations of Sockeye close to urban areas?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 09:05:38 AM »

Cultus Lake sockeye is a waste of money.
As much as we like to think helping the sockeye will result in a healthy population it won't.
With all the development happening around Cultus lake they are doomed.
Imagine all the gold fish that will be released into the lake now that every Tom, Dick and Harry has a cottage on the lake.
Are there any lakes with sustainable populations of Sockeye close to urban areas?

Lake Washington. The numbers are in decline but compared to Cultus, the Washington lake Sockeye run is big.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:09:06 AM by Hike_and_fish »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2019, 10:35:10 AM »

Lake Washington. The numbers are in decline but compared to Cultus, the Washington lake Sockeye run is big.
Unfortunately not a good example.  The Lake Washington fish are most likely entirely non-native, and ironically some transplants were made from Cultus Lake to Lake Washington in the 1940s and 50s, though it appears that the fish that survived are of Baker Lake origin.  http://ib.berkeley.edu/labs/slatkin/eriq/writings/eric_lkwash_ext_abst.pdf

Kokanee may have been native to Lake Washington/Lake Sammamish, but are now nearly extinct.  The last year that more than single digits of sockeye returned to Issaquah Creek was 2013.  The Cedar Rivery Hatchery has been averaging 10% of their brood stock goal for years.  In short, returns here are dismal, in spite of being heavily enhanced and non-native. 

Are any of the sockeye producing lakes in the Somass system similar to Cultus in terms of recreational use and development?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »

Unfortunately not a good example.  The Lake Washington fish are most likely entirely non-native, and ironically some transplants were made from Cultus Lake to Lake Washington in the 1940s and 50s, though it appears that the fish that survived are of Baker Lake origin.  http://ib.berkeley.edu/labs/slatkin/eriq/writings/eric_lkwash_ext_abst.pdf

Kokanee may have been native to Lake Washington/Lake Sammamish, but are now nearly extinct.  The last year that more than single digits of sockeye returned to Issaquah Creek was 2013.  The Cedar Rivery Hatchery has been averaging 10% of their brood stock goal for years.  In short, returns here are dismal, in spite of being heavily enhanced and non-native. 

Are any of the sockeye producing lakes in the Somass system similar to Cultus in terms of recreational use and development?

I highly doubt there is anything similar to Cultus on the Island. It's just a numbers game (human population numbers).
Cultus Lake is a f'n zoo.
Now I don't mind people having a lake to take their kids to pee, but we should be realistic and focus on fish populations that may have a future in the mid term.
Cultus doesn't, imo.
Frankly I would close Sweltzer creek with a net to prevent crap from Cultus coming down to the Chilliwack.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 11:48:51 AM »

He just asked for an example. He did say native. I missed the .ark on that one. It's the closest lake system to an urban environment that I know of. I'm sure there are some people furiously googling away for one as I type

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »

Would Shuswap and Osoyoos lakes fit the bill?