Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Group Formed, for B.C. Anglers  (Read 3532 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
New Group Formed, for B.C. Anglers
« on: September 04, 2007, 08:32:13 AM »

It has been stated on this site and others that there is a need for a voice for B.C.Anglers.

It appears that people have been listening and have now stepped up.

You can read on this link all the benefits that are available to anglers.

www.bcanglers.com

Their Vision is,

Our Vision
To make certain British Columbians have access to sustainable recreational angling.
Our Mission
To represent the rights and legitimate wishes of resident anglers in British Columbia by influencing all levels of government.

Strategic Objectives
To lobby for ecologically sustainable tidal and freshwater fisheries,
To influence all levels of government regarding angling policy development as well as fisheries and habitat management,
To collect, analyze and communicate member opinion about angling, access to fish as well as fisheries and habitat management,
To stand up for and protect existing angling opportunities,
To create new and diverse fisheries that do not impact natural existing stocks,
To encourage the non-angling public, especially young people, to learn to fish,
To foster awareness of the positive social values, the health benefits as well as the economic importance of angling in British Columbia,
To build alliances with like-minded organizations toward protecting and promoting angling in British Columbia,
To practice conservation in order to ensure sustainable fisheries for future generations, and;
To build membership from a wide spectrum of resident BC Anglers.

Please have a look at this and if you care about fish and your fishing future please join.

They have advised me that the site is still being upgraded and as you can see it allows you to have input on line.

searun17

• Old Timer
Re: New Group Formed, for B.C. Anglers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 12:14:41 PM »

sounds good i will have to check it out.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 01:34:39 PM »

What is the purpose of this organization, over and above what is already being covered by these groups?

Sportfishing Defense Alliance
BC Wildlife Federation
BC Federation of Drift Fishers
Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association
Fraser Valley Salmon Society
Georgia Strait Guides Association

I think these groups are already doing a fine job representing anglers, why specifically should people join this one and not the others?

What does this new group think they can achieve where they feel the groups above have failed, and what are the specific agendas on the table?

Thanks!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 02:26:39 PM »

Agree with Nicole.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 02:53:33 PM »

Just a bunch of people who dont wanna climb the ladder , so lets just start another club. ??? ???

I wonder how long this club will last before it fades away.

Better to put your efforts in an already existing club.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »

How very very typical that people would start to ask questions here instead of emailing the organisation and asking for info. ::)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 07:27:57 PM »

Probably because it was posted here. ::)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 08:22:31 PM »

More groups representing sport fishing probably the better. The only thing their not doing (that I know of) is running people to be voted for. Who will stand up for conservation issues with the resources we should cherish. I don't think the Green party is ready for standing up on issues like that. Present parties in power would hog tie and flagellate anyone who dared not tow dee line. It all looks so depressing for the fish I don't think I could eat another one.

Call me Nontroutbreath :'( or something easier to pronounce.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »

kinda find it intresting that folks will flog someone for taking a proactive stance for the sport in general. Does it really do any harm that another advocacy group is started?
Seems to me lately that many more anglers are trying to get involved with the various associations other than just paying membership.
personally some groups have welcomed input and suggestion a couple of others not so welcoming. People get involved to make change, and sometimes that involves rocking the boat.
you might not agree with someones efforts ,but at least give them the respect for trying.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

fishyfish

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 10:55:35 PM »

amen Sandy

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 12:13:24 PM »

Hear,Hear!
Riverman

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »

kinda find it intresting that folks will flog someone for taking a proactive stance for the sport in general. Does it really do any harm that another advocacy group is started?
Seems to me lately that many more anglers are trying to get involved with the various associations other than just paying membership.
personally some groups have welcomed input and suggestion a couple of others not so welcoming. People get involved to make change, and sometimes that involves rocking the boat.
you might not agree with someones efforts ,but at least give them the respect for trying.

is it better to have one large voice or 20 differnt voices?Too many clubs already going in different directions.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »

is it better to have one large voice or 20 differnt voices?Too many clubs already going in different directions.

Devils Advocate here,
say a new association gets started and their goals are too far out on left wing for the average sport angler,the association will obviously go no where due to lack of support,right?
what if new upstart association has enough support and becomes a major voice to be heard by the powers that be, there would be a bunch of folks having their say.that can't be bad for the sport can it? Time will tell.
I know that the sport has become deeply divided and I fear that the basic principles of Conservation and access may get lost in the politicking that has beset this sport.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 11:53:49 AM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!