Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Stamp. The Province is going to rip you off again..  (Read 14034 times)

Jimmy

Re: Sturgeon Stamp. The Province is going to rip you off again..
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 02:58:08 PM »

??? looking a gift horse in the mouth ??? Be happy you can fish these beasts

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 05:48:45 PM »

If you don't mind being fed horses**t and paying $25 for the meal, chow down. That's Canadian for sure, and I didn't vote for this. I just get amused by people saying they would pay $25 bucks to fish for something that if endangered, should be closed to fishing. $25 bucks to kiss Campbells butt anyone, he needs the money. What's $25 buck tag going to do, let us know the sturgeon are like on the way out. Spend away get some shots of your "gift horse" to post while your at it. I think we already spend the money to look after the fishery, it is just going elsewhere.

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2007, 05:59:17 PM »

no one here old enough to remember the old sturgeon stamp?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2007, 06:05:23 PM »

Yup!
I never bought one because I've only been fishing Sturgeon for about 10 years now.
Thanks for bringing it up.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 08:00:05 PM »

OBD go look up how much it costs to fish in Europe and get back to us..... ::)

We are not in Europe and that has nothing to do with this.

If you are happy paying for a new tag that is not as we understand it going to do anything for the fish, then be happy.

I on the other hand do not like getting ripped off by our government, just because they feel they can.

Heck I work for the government and I get ripped off every day. So I get it 24/7 365 days a year. Just look at the raises that they are recommending from an independant commitee( if you want to believe that), it is over 26%.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:12:48 PM by fly_guy »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2007, 07:08:23 AM »

I was in a meeting yesterday and found out that MoE is doing this so they can raise around $200,000.00 to pay for the cost of collecting data about sturgeon and just how many guys, where and when they are fishing. In the long run this info will be used to manage the fishery to the benifit of sturgeon. This will most likely include closed periods and locations to fishing for sturgeon at certain times of year.  Like it or not there will be a freshwater sturgeon tag in place for April of 2008. The only thing really remaining to do is set the tag cost. Get ready for it, because it is definately coming

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2007, 09:17:15 AM »

According to the Freshwater Fisheries Society website, 100% of your angling licence goes to them.  Im not sure if that means surcharge stamps as well.  I will gladly pay the 25 bucks for a Stamp if need be.  Hopefully it goes back to where it should.  25 bucks is nothing when you factor in the costs of your boat/motor, rods and reels, gas and now bait. 

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2007, 06:06:59 PM »

It seems as though lots of people are willing to pay $25 which is great, me too. I don't have a problem paying $25.00 in fact I would pay as a recreational angler and even more as a resource user. The trouble is that this is not about $25.00.

The Fraser Valley Angling Guides provides 82% of the data collected by the sturgeon conservation society for FREE.  A large majority of this data is a result of non-residents & non-resident aliens on guided trips, paying customers. Much of the data collected comes from one day sturgeon charters and one day combination salmon/sturgeon charters. The already dwindling license sales in BC will continue to drop with more fees and a sturgeon stamp. When the non-resident steelhead tag was implemented at $60, the one day steelhead trips for non-residents in the Fraser valley collapsed.  Many anglers locally and from abroad are only fishing for sturgeon, the license being purchased is already a sturgeon license, so in essence they are already paying for a sturgeon tag. Where is this money going?

Consultation period not fair and unclear. The length of this consultation period is unfair to all stake holders. The first I heard of this was two weeks ago at the Sturgeon Technical Working Group. We then again were unofficially informed at a meeting on April 27. April 29 we are informed of 4 meetings to take place in May with a May 30 deadline for submissions.  Longer and more in depth consultation, as this time frame is very unfair.

There is no plan in place or at least we have not see one, what is the money to be used for, when , where and how much. Is the money generated by the lower Fraser going to be used solely for the lower Fraser? There are more questions than answers. We already give millions worth of free data.

End result

1. If this sturgeon stamp was to become reality in the dollar value being suggested, we are all very clear on the end result. Millions of dollars of revenue to the local communities will be lost, local guide companies will fold their doors and the majority of future data will be lost. There will be no longer be the appetite to tag sturgeon from FVAGA members as they will without a doubt, leave a sour taste.

2. Paying customers will not pay an additional $60 per person to fish a 1/2 day for sturgeon. As mentioned above, much of our data is collected during one day trips and 1/2 day salmon/1/2 day sturgeon charters. The increase of $60 per person or $240 for a boat of 4 will not fly. The only sturgeon charters that will continue are multi-day trips where the cost is spread out over time. This is less than 30 % of most businesses, a drop of 70%

3. During salmon charters we often introduce clients to sturgeon fishing by adding a few hours onto the end of their trip. This has no cost associated with it so the client is happy to try it out. A few sturgeon are caught and tagged, more data for FREE and the client is introduced to this incredible sturgeon fishery. More often than not, the client will re-book and request 1 or more days of sturgeon. Again, this scenario would be lost if this sturgeon stamp was introduced at the rate being suggested. More lost data opportunities.

4. Poaching is still a problem, guides and sport fisherman are the guardians on the water their eye’s and ears are very important. Take them off the water and you will increase poaching opportunities.

Possible Solutions

1. The guides in the valley and their clients already give millions and millions of dollars worth of their time to Sturgeon conservation through donations, fundraising programs and tagging sturgeon. It's high time government agencies stop taking and begin giving something back to help these fish and continue the programs currently under way. Monies can be raise in other ways through various organizations and fundraising.As we all know, programs such as these rarely help what they were intended for.

2. If a sturgeon stamp concept was to be embraced by local communities and guides, a one day stamp for resident, non-residents & non-resident alien would be a must. This would be the only way the concept of a sturgeon stamp would fly. All monies collected would have to go directly to local fish projects not diverted to other communities.

3. Continue to seek funding through grants and other venues and stop trying to wipe out the guiding industry in the Fraser Valley.

4. An internet licensing system would provide the tools for monitoring and fair distribution for funds that are already being collected. You don't need to re-event the wheel.

I know I will get hammered as I'm sure there are a few readers that are anti -guides but I thought some of the posters needed a bit of background info. The bottom line is that your still fishing for sturgeon because of the work done by Fraser River Sturgeon conservation group and local guides who have donated thousands of hours of thier time for Free. This is a great way to re-pay them for thier efforts.

Vic Carrao
STS Guiding Service

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2007, 06:08:24 PM »

I cant complain.
It will  work out to about .10 cents an hour for my tag.
Pretty cheap fun if yopu ask me. ;)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2007, 06:11:13 PM »

How much money was made by guides tagging fish?
Or did they not get paid to do this?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2007, 06:13:40 PM »

The visitors to our waters have had a free ride long enough.
Its about time they paid there share here too.
Not talking about just the Fraser either or just Sturgeon.
I mean the whole province.Tidal and non-tidal.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »

Where did the $60 come from?

That was the price for Steelhead-there's no mention of that number for Sturgeon.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2007, 06:23:35 PM »

Sam the number being suggest is the same a steelhead for resident and non-resident.

Firstlight - we definately made money and I agree that we all need to pay our share. I think your missing the point.
If the price of the tag is implimented as being suggested, the large majority of 1 day trips will be lost and so will the data. If 82% of the data is coming from the guides, I would suggest that a large precentage of that data will be lost. If so, what is the point of raising these funds, there will be no data to analyze.

I am not against the tag completely, Just think they are rushing it through and they need to think about the end result of their actions which has not be thought out.

stlhd4ever

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2007, 07:35:18 PM »

There is no plan in place or at least we have not see one, what is the money to be used for, when , where and how much. Is the money generated by the lower Fraser going to be used solely for the lower Fraser?

Everybody knows that most of the money generated is not going to be used toward sturgeon rehabilitation. My guess is that the fish will see about 20% of all funds and the rest will go into the politicians pockets. I mean they will have to hire new people and promote some people to take control and sort through the data to come to a conclusion that they already know, because of guides like Vic. I will pay the 25 like I said before, but I won't like it unless there is a detailed report on where the money is going. With results in 6 months so we all know that they are doing something. As far as losing business goes I think that the gudes should pay for a yearly licence that covers people on that particular boat. So clients don't have to go through the hassle of obtaing licences and stamps. I really think this would attract alot of new clients, that would offset the licence fee. I know alot of people that won't pay for a guided trip and then all the required licences and stamps for 1 day of fishing. So they just don't go.

Hey Vic I remember taking your steelhead seminar about 8-10 years ago. Still doin that? :)
Wishin I was Fishin

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 08:53:26 AM »

Good post Vic :)

That sure helps to explain what the guides have already done to help with this fishery. I doubt paying $25 bucks is going to get more detailed info than what they get already from people like yourself.

I just see gettin the same old steelhead survey type card that you fill out if your in the mood. And the $25 dollars helps process the report from the cards. That report sure will help the fish :-\
Call Basi....need spin
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?