Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Stamp. The Province is going to rip you off again..  (Read 14031 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Sturgeon Stamp. The Province is going to rip you off again..
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 04:50:49 PM »

The governments going to use it on Sturgeon (cavier) at their next sell out banquet of some other resource. What happens with the ever increasing amount you pay now just to fish. If you believe there side of the spin you need a wake up call or your spinning Basi style.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 06:36:20 PM »

I have no problem paying the $25. For the amount of times I go out for sturgeon $25 is a bargain. Think of it as giving back even if it doesnt all go back into the said fishery. Atleast you can feel good about atleast paying for it.

Just like Gooey mentioned its not really a money grab. Say 5000 people got the stamp thats only $125,000 barely anything. That would pay maybe two CO's salary for the year ( just an example ).

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

speycaster

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 07:02:15 PM »

Better they spend it on two COs that pee it away on a junket to Honalulu to study how the COs there catch poachers.Thats how the morons we elect operate.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 07:37:40 PM »

You guys really need to give your heads a shake, do you really think they will spend that money properly......NOT..........No new C.O's  just piss it  away on some other stuff other than fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 09:03:37 PM »

You guys really need to give your heads a shake, do you really think they will spend that money properly......NOT..........No new C.O's  just piss it  away on some other stuff other than fish.

Have to agree with JJ. The money will just go into general revenue.

stlhd4ever

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 09:06:01 PM »

Sick of  this government trying to come up with ideas to decrease their spending while ensuring they have their 100,000 yr and over paychecks plus that for bonuses and screwing all of us. We shouldn't have to pay at all to fish our own land. Now don't get me wrong I don't mind paying for my licences and tags because we have a great fishery here in the lower mainland. And if they create a tag for Sturgeon I will pay it just like everyone that wants to fish for this elusive beast. The government doesn't care about what we say, they've already decided that there will be a Sturgeon stamp for 2008. They only have these public hearings to make us feal like we have a say.

There is a way out though I did some window reno's on this guy's house in North Van Had alot of interesting things to say. Don't fully agree with everything but interesting.check outwww.thinkfree.ca Not at all fishing related. But government.
Wishin I was Fishin

speycaster

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 09:16:11 PM »

I think CSIS has closed down that site, goverment does not like free thinkers.You had better follow the goverment agenda or you too could disappear. ;D

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 10:34:33 PM »

Some of the comments here are so inane as to defy belief.

FYI-Govt revenues are at an all time high and as BB says the paltry amount collected amounts to very little.

Has anyone contacted the Fraser Sturgeon Conservation Society to ask their opinion on this?

Has anyone here ever heard of the Fraser Sturgeon Conservation Society or even know anything about the good work they do?

http://www.frasersturgeon.com/

Is bee eye tee see aytch all you guys do all day? ::)

BTW-here's the other site-there was a tiny error posting the link-anyone who took the trouble could find it- http://www.thinkfree.ca/

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 07:03:19 AM »

after some recent meetings, this cash grab is all about getting enough money to collect data. MoE wants to know how many fish for sturgeon and by making you buy a license they instantly know. The money will NOT go back into trying to manage the stock in any sort of way or enforcement. It's all about collecting data because they are goverment and they can.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 07:48:46 AM »

They get data for free now and if they require more all they have to do is ask.
However as noted it is a $$ grab and once again the Province is showing it's real colours.
For them it is all about the $$.

Jimmy

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 08:53:10 AM »

$25 a year for a 150lbs dino that can be caught in your backyard, come on stop wining we get a great deal hear in bc.

hatchery systems have been put into place for steelhead, maybe the same type of thing will be next for the sturgeon. I will gladly pay in hopes that my future grandkids get to wrestle one of those beasts!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 11:45:31 AM »

OBD go look up how much it costs to fish in Europe and get back to us..... ::)

Belong to the "4 F Club"

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »

I'm sitting hear waiting to hear Rodney's take on things, but that hasn't happened yet.

I however tend to agree with OBD. There is no proof that the money from our liciences goes directly to fishery enhancement. We have a RIGHT to fish, it is part of our heritage. Over in England they have a RIGHT to be taxed, that's their heritage. ;D

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »

We are not in Europe and that has nothing to do with this.

If you are happy paying for a new tag that is not as we understand it going to do anything for the fish, then be happy.

I on the other hand do not like getting ripped off by our government, just because they feel they can.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 01:26:51 PM »

We are not in Europe and that has nothing to do with this.

If you are happy paying for a new tag that is not as we understand it going to do anything for the fish, then be happy.

I on the other hand do not like getting ripped off by our government, just because they feel they can.

Well who do we have to blame? We are the ones that voted in our current goverment so I guess we can only blame ourselves. The cost of fishing is inexpensive compared to many other activities.

Belong to the "4 F Club"