Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Stamp. The Province is going to rip you off again..  (Read 14033 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Sturgeon Stamp. The Province is going to rip you off again..
« on: April 30, 2007, 07:26:05 AM »

The Province ( MOE) is planning to add a Sturgeon Stamp for 2008.
They say the $$ will go towards Sturgeon, however as noted on all the other stamps you pay for there is NO proof from them that this happens.
There is NO reason for this stamp as the information taken now by guides covers all they require.
If MOE needs these $ to evaluate the sturgeon, why now and not 20 years ago? Now this is a proven fishery and a catch and release fishery due to guides and anglers demanding this be, one cannot but wonder if this is not just a straight cash grab.

It is my understanding that they would like to implement a stamp similar to the steelhead stamp, which would cost residents an additional $25.00 plus tax per year and there is no day or two-day stamp.  If they succeed the stamp will cost the non-resident or non-resident aliens an additional $60.00 plus tax and again no daily stamp available. ( So if you are from Alberta, think about adding $60.00 for a couple of days fishing).

The Province is proposing evening meetings to be scheduled in the following places Surrey on May 14th, Chilliwack on May 15th, Williams Lake May 23rd and Lillooet on May 24th and an information bulletin will be out about this soon.

I guess there are no people who fish Sturgeon on Vancouver Island or the Interior??

I would think that a number of questions need to be asked at these meetings.
Example, on ALL the other stamps example Steelhead, from the date these were instituted show us the amount of money raised per year and the expenditures of this money.
We need to see this for ALL stamps already out there.
This should be public information now and shown on MOE's site for all.

What is the reason for this stamp? How long is this stamp going to be in place?

Bend over again anglers.

Jimmy

Re: Sturgeon Stamp. The Province is going to rip you off again..
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 07:39:48 AM »

Great idea, I think that if even 50% goes back to the species then I'd be happy to pay $25/year to wrestle a Dino and also hope that my grand kids can do the same in 50 years!  :D

Sorry to not agree with you.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 08:02:28 AM »

Interesting that you would throw your money away.
There is nothing saying that any of the money will help Sturgeon.

I would think a PLAN from MOE would be a start?

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:35:54 AM »

SOUNDS LIKE WERE GONNA BE PAYING FOR THE GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES VACATIONS AGAIN !  >:(

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 09:42:11 AM »

Interesting that you would throw your money away.
There is nothing saying that any of the money will help Sturgeon.

I would think a PLAN from MOE would be a start?

Nothing saying that it wouldn't go back in the fishery, there have been rumblings in the past that they would close this fishery completely. I don't want to pay anymore taxes that I have to but I sure would much rather pay $25/year than not fish it at all.

It is a choice of all anglers whether to pay the toll or just hang the rods up and start golfing. I choose to fish even if I have to pay an extra $25. Could be worse I could smoke and have to pay taxes as well be killing myself

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 09:44:58 AM »

SOUNDS LIKE WERE GONNA BE PAYING FOR THE GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES VACATIONS AGAIN !  >:(

what is wrong with that. we say thank you  ;D ;D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 10:01:29 AM »

what is wrong with that. we say thank you 

^ WHERE SHOULD I START ?

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:05:37 AM »

Next it will be a bass stamp, then a squaw fish stamp.

This is what the real problem is with our provincial leaders/workers.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 11:12:46 AM by jetboatjim »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 11:26:56 AM »

the problem i have with this is the allocation of funds.  just like with the salmon tags, you sometimes wonder where all the money is being spent, especially with all the cut backs, lack of enhancement and enforcement.
i feel more money is being funneled into administration rather than the field itself.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 11:42:39 AM »

Come on gang...if the gov is so cash starved, I don't think they would turn to a sturgeon stamp to plump up their coffers!  Yes I don't like the idea of having a stamp I paid for and not knowing where that money is going (ie enforcement or habitat etc) but we all have to agree that BC offers some INCREDIBLE fishing opportuinitites which is why I still think my salmon stamp (or sturgeon for that matter) is an extremely good value.

salmonlander

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 11:51:15 AM »

This proposal is nothing more than a money grab by MOE. There has been enough evidence obtained and forwarded by the angling community to substanciate that the species is in good shape and infact the non listing by COSEWIC is directly related to this input.
What is  the proposed useage of monies collected? Is it to fund the consultating companies to study and restudy. Nice cash cow for them.  Its just a grab with nothing coming back to the resource.
Possibly as we are bending over, we might catch a ditch eel !

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 11:53:21 AM »

I don't have a problem with paying the 25 bucks if all the money is going back into the fishery and is being used   in a positive manner on our river,but in previous instances with the other stamps we are not getting all the information as to were all the money is going which leaves me and I'm sure many others looking at this issue with many unanswered questions,hence the belief by many that we are just being nickel and dimed to death for money for the most part that probably ends up in general revenue.With all the issues that exist today IE,loss of habitat ,low salmon returns,IE coho,and lack of enforcement just to name a few .this is were this money should be getting spent,but i don't see it. A plan needs to be layed out for all to see,tell us where and how the money is going to be spent and how much ,if the peoples money is working for the people then no problem but it has to be abundantly clear to all that our money is going towards the resource that we all cherish.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 11:58:54 AM »

i'm all for supporting our industry and i don't have a problem with paying for usage, but history has a habit of popping its nasty head.
how is it that many issues have not been addressed, yet the government can go ahead with a plan to increase revenue and show no accountability for it?  what reasons do they have for coming up with this plan and what are their objectives, if any?  how will it effect our local guides and their potential clients?

i don't think the government is cash starved as much as maybe....cash greedy.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 12:04:44 PM »

should the title of this thread not just be that the government is ripping us off as the fisheries is patroled buy both federal and provincial. The provinve collects for non-tidal and the federal collects for the tidal. Now are they both going to charge for stamps. And as far as getting to know where the money goes I say good luck. They will never be forecoming with that info. It is just like the taxes on gas. It is supposed to go into transit, road and infastructure improvements. The roads suck, any new bridges built will be tolled and transit is a joke. All money collected by  which ever government just goes to what ever they want. They put a little to where it is supposed to go but most of it goes into general revenue. Hopefully come the next election the people remember what the government has done and vote on that and not vote on promises that will be broken with in a year.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 12:05:30 PM »

i'm all for supporting our industry and i don't have a problem with paying for usage, but history has a habit of popping its nasty head.
how is it that many issues have not been addressed, yet the government can go ahead with a plan to increase revenue and show no accountability for it?  what reasons do they have for coming up with this plan and what are their objectives, if any?  how will it effect our local guides and their potential clients?

i don't think the government is cash starved as much as maybe....cash greedy.

I agree it is about accountability,especially when they come knocking with their hands out looking for more money,for me its not so much about having to pay more but where is the money going ,put it into the resource and no problem.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.