Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wally Hall Jr Memorial Steelhead Derby - A Legacy on the River  (Read 2960 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbg6CDZrlcI

A few weeks ago I posted some photos from the newly created wetland in Hopedale by the Vedder River and I mentioned that there'll be a video on it. Well it is finally done and being released tonight at 8:30pm. This video, from planning, filming, editing and completion has taken over a year but I think it's well worth it. It's not just about the habitat restoration project itself, but more about how Wally Hall's dedication has lead the sport fishing community in the Fraser Valley to this and the legacy will continue on.

Happy Earth Day everyone!

arimaBOATER

Re: A Legacy on the River
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 08:50:42 AM »

Very well done.
Those side channels will be great for the fish to settle into. Just hopefully 10 herons do not make it a favourite spot to have lunch.
Chicken wire covering the water? Or mesh that sun still can shine thru.
Or 15 ft areas where chicken wire / 2x4 construction / sturdy then put sticks on top....like a roof over the channel thus to afford protection...plus shade.
3 -6 of these built over the channel.

But really nice constructed and if it means 7 out of 10 will make it down river and into ocean eventually and some to return WOW big pay off for sure.

In a few years the Vedder /Chillawack R could be teaming with fish.
Hopefully in middle of hot summer these channels still will maintain good water flow/ proper temp.
And also when the river is blown out how hopefully these channels do not get damaged.
Lots of work but it looks good for sure.
The people in vid look very knowledgable and sincere. Passion.

And Happy a Earth Day too .
Last night between 8-10pm CBC ch. 100 Telus had a movie " Earth:One Amazing Day" 2017 nature doc
Jungles high mountains remote islands...
One part had these Iguanas hiding in the sand. 1.5 -2 ft long...they had to race about 30 yds to get to safety of rocks....it looked like about 100 long 6ft snakes were waiting to kill them for lunch.
The Iquana took off running and these snakes were in chase  !!!
Showed 4-5 were caught and two made it to safety....
One was caught and somehow got away ...
It reminded me of a guy with the football and defensive players chasing him.

But it would be good if 10 or more of these side channels could be constructed ...over time. Know it takes $$$ and time but the payoff would be good. The river gets so much fishing pressure.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:58:35 AM by A-BOATER »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Wally Hall Jr Memorial Steelhead Derby - A Legacy on the River
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 05:00:29 PM »

For those who have kids in elementary school (or even secondary school), Kitty and I have made a second video on this subject for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQCQcRADvLE

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 08:00:19 PM »

Great videos Rodney and Kitty. It's nice to see some good news on the sports fishing/conservation front and thank you both for promoting it. :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 08:32:33 PM »

Great videos Rodney and Kitty. It's nice to see some good news on the sports fishing/conservation front and thank you both for promoting it. :D

Thanks Dave. ;D It was your idea to give FVWC the recognition they deserved so thanks for getting this started.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 02:59:13 AM »

Here's 15 more minutes of Matt and Natashia talking about the critical habitat for juvenile salmonids and other fish species.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ItbtGtr-ww

Want to see more salmon and steelhead? Get involved and restore some of that 90% lost habitat in the lower river.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 09:57:04 PM »

Interesting listening to the coho and other species numbers climb once they reach off channel habitat. I join their email blast after watching your video and going to become a member. I am sure alot of other streams can benefit from similar enhancement. Hopefully people can still donate what they can during these tough times.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 10:57:10 PM »

Interesting listening to the coho and other species numbers climb once they reach off channel habitat. I join their email blast after watching your video and going to become a member. I am sure alot of other streams can benefit from similar enhancement. Hopefully people can still donate what they can during these tough times.

That's great! One thing to note is that the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition does not only do habitat restoration on the Vedder, but they have been actively restoring Stave River habitat, and right now there are projects happening on the coquihalla as well... plus many others which I can't remember.

While money donations would be nice, I think what's really needed is the support as a member, and contributing volunteer hours. When a tree planting event is happening, there are A LOT of trees to plant lol... I remember at the last one they could have used at least a couple dozen more volunteers.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:46:34 AM by bigblockfox »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »

I think so.