Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Esperanza Inlet, Aug 1-3  (Read 2450 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Fishing Esperanza Inlet, Aug 1-3
« on: August 06, 2021, 10:35:45 AM »

Two buddies and myself just got back from a three day fishing charter out of Tahsis and Westview Marina fishing the waters around Esperanza Inlet. We have done a few one day charters out of Pedder Bay, but this was our first time fishing WCVI.

The experiences were almost as memorable as the fishing: humpback whales, sea otters floating on their backs, an ocean sunfish, catching a 5-6 ft salmon shark while anchored for halibut, giving the coho a working over while we trolled offshore amongst the commercial troll fleet, anchored for hali in 2+ metre  seas and 30+ knot winds (thanks goodness for the patch and a 33 ft boat!), watching the marine fog roll in to surround us and the stunning beauty of the wild west coast and historic Nootka Island.

And our guide put us on fish: we came back with possession limits halibut,  ling cod, salmon (mostly coho, as the chinook proved elusive. We caught 5 chinook with the two biggest in the low 20’s) and close to possession limits of various species of rockfish.  I’ve never caught a ling or black sea bass or a canary rockfish so it was neat to see these fish up close and in person. Large numbers of coho out there. I’m looking forward to October!

And it was exhausting. Being on your feet for a large part of the day and fighting for balance is surprising tiring. Waking up at around 5 AM, breakfast at 5:30. Leave the dock 6:15’ish. Back to the dock at 5 PM. Wait while the mountains of fish are processed by the guide. Late supper and in bed by 8 or 9 pm. Repeat.   

This is not an endorsement of Westview Marina. If you are interested in going there, feel free to reach out. Nor is this a bragging post. Without the guide’s large boat to handle the seas and his local knowledge, we would have been zeros, not heros 😊

Just a story of a very memorable trip.                       

Cheers.     

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fishing Esperanza Inlet, Aug 1-3
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 11:58:54 AM »

Wow! Sounds superb & reminds me of my guided trip out of Queen Charlotte City though we didn't hit quite the numbers of fish your party did. Congratulations.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 08:28:24 PM »

Fished the WCVI with the Murphys a couple of times. Same experiences as yours but we were into mostly springs.
I was sea sick everyday.
It ain't the roe bro'

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 10:15:00 PM »

All three of us were surprised (and grateful!) how effective the patch was.

After hours in the heaving seas, my two buds claim they felt 100%. I felt a tad unwell, but not nauseous.

The three of us agreed that if one of us got seasick on board, we weren’t going back to the dock. Love you buddy. Sucks to be you. We’ll catch your fish for you though! 😀

The patch was money well spent!

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 09:15:22 AM »

Sounds like a great trip!

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 05:44:02 PM »

I have never been there to Esperanza precisely but have made similar trips to other locales, north and south with similar results.  It pleases me to to know that BC offers such exciting adventures, you just have to pony up the money.   My personal boating has been inshore and anchoring offshore in 2 m seas, probably in 250’ of water is a skill I have not had to master.  Having observed it I can imagine several ways it can go wrong, especially retrieving the anchor.

Congrats on a great trip.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 05:57:02 PM »

Fished out of Tahsis many times up until a few years ago - buddy had a charter business and gave me a decent discount.

Gravol everyday - first thing in the morning.
One buddy on his first trip decided he didn't need anything and puked the whole day.
We got to play his fish all day as well.

The weirdest feeling after 2 days on the water, when you get back to the dock and the dock is rolling like the boat.