Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead rule inhumane for fishing buddies?  (Read 13409 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: steelhead rule inhumane for fishing buddies?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2004, 03:52:25 PM »

Agree, Nicefish.  My post is more on the guy who is w/o a fish and has to face with dragging the buddies along for the rest of the day, as story of the 3 buddies illustrates. It  may intimidate a younger steelheader to try to fish with a seasoned rod, and it MAY cause seasoned rods to hesitate to bring along apprentices more often (not a problem for me, as no young hot-blooded steelheader will go fishing that late like me, hehe!).  Just a human possibility.  And for a laugh, a girl friend may consider a boyfriend of the mall type than a steelhead nut.  ;D ;D ;D   Sorry Rod, not to start anything bad for you. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 04:10:32 PM by funfish »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2004, 09:49:55 PM »

Rodney wouldn’t dare. Besides I know fishing takes priority, next after me that is...  ;D  ;)

<She's daring me now, what do I do?> :-X

I tell you what's inhumane....

A couple of years ago, while the two of us were fishing for bull trout in the winter, she managed to get into one very nice fish soon after we arrived.

I proceeded to loss one fish, possibly bigger, but we will never know. :o

Two hours later, I was still in the water, flogging away, hoping to connect with just one fish.

Then, after sitting on the bank for awhile, seemingly bored, she suggested that we should go home. :o

So we left...

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2004, 11:25:43 PM »

Ya, Rod, that is a bit inhumane, but at least she was fishing with you  :).  Not easy to find a fishing girlfriend nowadays.  I have a better one.  Once a while ago I helped a greenie along with salmon fishing. He did quite well, so when the steelhead season rolled along, he wanted to try steelhead fishing.  But his girlfriend just came in town to visit. Tough decision.  Somehow he won - she would come along with us to watch our fishing. What a miserable decision.  Back then we were first-lighters. So we arrived at the river in the dark, fished for the whole day, the poor lady braved the element for a short while watching us, bored, then stayed in the car for the whole day, sick, and chilled to death. Worst still, we went home skunked for the day.  Well, I thought she would give him the ultimatum - stop your fishing or else... She never did. Somehow she survived  the 'inhumane' treatment by her fishing crazed boyfriend.  They live happily ever after. Sometimes, miracles do happen.  :) Amen.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 11:49:23 PM by funfish »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2004, 02:24:13 PM »

Can't the buddies carry a small portable trout outfit (gear or fly), which would be used in the scenario described above?

The first one to land and bonk a steelie could still fish for trout or whitefish while the other buddy keeps trying for steel.
That, and what Rodney suggested can pretty much save the day.

Cheers, Milo

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2004, 11:29:47 PM »

Milo, unfortunately the answer is NO! The current rule from MOE imposed on us sporties is stop fishing the river for the rest of the day, period.  The friend without a fish has the option to chuck the whole outfit into the river and go home.  ;D ;D ;D 
DFO/MOE are used to treating us sporties as a goup w/o much human feelings, so they won't think the rule as being inhumane.   ;D:(