Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead rule inhumane for fishing buddies?  (Read 13410 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: steelhead rule inhumane for fishing buddies?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 03:53:20 PM »

Or I might get banned for life !  ;D

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 04:53:29 PM »

Well said Bantam, though the issues of "taking a fish home" versus "do anything to get my trophy fish" have been blured  and put a few on the defensive.Add a little more " hey, try to enjoy yourself out there and think of  a nice fish as a bonus rather than an expected result and things might improve a bit here and on the waters edge.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 07:00:27 PM »

I don't think its inhumane at all.  If you do decide to keep your fish, go for a walk and look for other good spots (not with your rod of course!).  Or go for a drive and set a time to meet back with your buddy.  You would be suprised at how many new spots you can find and maybe be able to fish the next time!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 11:38:36 PM »

If we do the math based on Boxing Day result, even with some of the best years of 30+ fish among 500 steelheaders.  So, if you allow the 30 guys to fish on, their chance of landing another steelhead in the afternoon is 30/500. Perhaps even lower than that, as most of the fish that want to bite were already taken in the morning. If the stock can be jeopardized with that low a possibility, perhaps the run is so dangerously low that the river should be shut down for steelheading, like the Cap.

Bantam_50

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 12:32:13 AM »

:o Wow!... if that post of mine was taken as an attack on other anglers....then... well... Rod I should be warned or DS, hit me with the 'delete post' button.  ;D

Funfish...you asked for discusssion and input and that's exactly what I supplied... IMO ...no more, no less.

btw - IMO = in my opinion

If you personally felt attacked, I'm truly puzzled...not to sure where you interpreted it. Maybe we need to spend a day on the Vedder together, with you bonking a fish at first light and then me dragging you around all day with a smile on my face.  :P

Hopefully it would be the same if I made the bonking decision?

Do I retain fish? Sure do. But after some 30 years of angling (25 on the Vedder) I've come to understand there's more to keeping what you seek, with or with a buddy along.

ps - Rick...I don't ride a horse...and I'm again, curious to be show these clearly attacking remarks. Maybe you could kindly quote them next time.  8)

Bantam_50

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 12:48:30 AM »

Honestly though whats the difference between c&r'ing steelies all day or keep one then c&r'ing all day? it doesnt really put "less pressure" on the fish...

I don't believe that was the intent of the regulation.

Bantam_50

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 12:50:11 AM »

But after some 30 years of angling (25 on the Vedder)

there's where the dis-agreement lies.

???

Centerpin

• To Fish Or Not To Fish Such A Stupid Question
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2004, 12:50:52 AM »

The one point that everybody seems to be forgetting is the unmitigated joy of sitting back on the beach (after you have caught and bonked your fish) and heckling your fishing buddy or buddies, and reminding them every few minutes of there obvious inadequacies as fishermen.  ;D ;D
No Nookie Like Chinookie

Bantam_50

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2004, 12:56:01 AM »

The one point that everybody seems to be forgetting is the unmitigated joy of sitting back on the beach (after you have caught and bonked your fish) and heckling your fishing buddy or buddies, and reminding them every few minutes of there obvious inadequacies as fishermen.  ;D ;D

LOL! Or asking if they want to use your rod or some of that sweet chew you were using or.....My fav is telling them to try that piece of water, watch them foam up the surface, they then move down river only to see another angler walk in behind them and smack one on the first cast. Far from inhumane.  ;D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2004, 01:08:38 AM »

Bantam, no I don't feel personally attacked at all.  I am at peace with my steelheading and fishing in general.  Never feel threatened by other fishermen's action around me. I cheer them on  :D if they are successful while fishing legally and ethically, and whether they keep their fish or not, I respect their decision as long as they are entitled to keep that fish.

Not a chance to fish at first light for me.  I usually don't start until past noon ;D ;D ;D.  I have my secret weapon that can dig up fish among rods in any well-worked pool.   So I don't care much what the guy next to me would or would not do. I just think I was making a post for some light hearted discussion about human interaction.  As detailed in my first post, I did witness an ugly and embarrassing event between fishing buddies.  The joy and jokes from the two buddies from behind might have caused the guy to lose it.  I am sure if he had fished alone in the run like the rest of us, he would have continued on in peace.

I am just responding to your comment on others bonking fish which contributed to your declining success.  My thread was just about human interaction, not about the ethics of bonking a hatchery steelhead. With your years in the river, you are obviously a great steelheader with great pride in your craft. If I offend you in any ways, I apologize.  Have a great steelhead season.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 01:17:43 AM by funfish »

Bantam_50

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2004, 01:27:10 AM »

Funfish,

For the record my post wasn't about me frowning on anglers bonking fish or my declining success. 25 fish days was attainable by any seasoned rod who knew where to look. I added some personalized ranting from those lost days of old. But it shames me how the sport of angling has deminished in recent years and can it ever be brought back again.

IMO that depends on improving human nature.

I believe Centerpins post and my following comments were more what you were looking for. No offense taken, just good interaction.   ;D

May your buddies always have you dragging them around all day. Tight lines.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 01:28:51 AM by Bantam_50 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2004, 02:09:36 AM »

I think you guys are making my job too easy these days.... ;)

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2004, 04:51:39 AM »

Now, the real question is.... How do you keep a girlfriend occupied when she wants to go home but you still haven't landed a steelhead yet..... :-\

You promise to do what ever she wants for one full day and show equal amount of interest in her life as she is showing in your fishing! That should shut her up…..  ;D

D'uhhhh, thats easy, just let her play with your pink worm!!  ;D ;D

Shane

I dunno….pink worms are not too interesting in the cold…..

Dump your girlfriend. Steelheads take priority. Any serious angler knows that  ;D

Rodney wouldn’t dare. Besides I know fishing takes priority, next after me that is...  ;D  ;)

TROY B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2004, 10:15:39 AM »

Tell me about it i have had a few girlfriends dump me cause fishing comes first... ;D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2004, 03:12:45 PM »

Whats really bad is having a fishing pal like Gooey, who when he does get the first fish keeps looking at his watch. Then keeps nagging about leaving soon.
Fish on!