Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does roe bag work in tidal Fraser?  (Read 3127 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Does roe bag work in tidal Fraser?
« on: October 30, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »

Getting older now so this year I finally begin to do more tidal bar fishing with roe (and spoon too). I have been seeing people using only cured roe without a roe bag. Is roe bag not effective in tidal Fraser? It seems roe bag works for coho in the Vedder. Some of the chum does look silver but they have loose single eggs. Does coho in tidal Fraser bite roe bag?

fishallday

Re: Does roe bag work in tidal Fraser?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:20:11 PM »

wouldn't see why not, I always used cured roe but if they are biting in the vedder your probably fine.
life's short stunt it

Silver

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 12:00:36 AM »

Not an expert by any means...but I'm observant.

I have spent several days fishing both Langley and Richmond bar fishing. The people that are consistently hooking up are using boraxed Chum roe loose...no bags.
The roe is presented large and frequently changed...no more than 20min soaking to keep the scent trail milking.

I noticed some people have dye cured roe, but they did not appear to be more successful than the people using the raw eggs.

I personally have even noticed a decrease in nibbles from boraxed roe that is a bit too firm, or more than a day or two old...so the fresher the better.

You need to use a lot of bait...at least 1lb per rod per day.

The people I have seen using bags are not very successful on the lower fraser...either rarely or never hooking up while big gobs of roe people hooking up multiple times. Even heard of one guy with a double header on both hooks.

waterbearer

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 09:03:49 AM »

Not an expert by any means...but I'm observant.

I have spent several days fishing both Langley and Richmond bar fishing. The people that are consistently hooking up are using boraxed Chum roe loose...no bags.
The roe is presented large and frequently changed...no more than 20min soaking to keep the scent trail milking.

I noticed some people have dye cured roe, but they did not appear to be more successful than the people using the raw eggs.

I personally have even noticed a decrease in nibbles from boraxed roe that is a bit too firm, or more than a day or two old...so the fresher the better.

You need to use a lot of bait...at least 1lb per rod per day.

The people I have seen using bags are not very successful on the lower fraser...either rarely or never hooking up while big gobs of roe people hooking up multiple times. Even heard of one guy with a double header on both hooks.

My experience has been the opposite. My friends and i fished next the guys who were using fresh roe and we were using good quality cured. We Got to the spot same time but we got multiple hook ups and landed a few .last week to I used sacs and was just as successful.

Think it's comes to quality of roe and being confident with what you're using .I also work as a chef and have a thing for portion control.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:06:10 AM by waterbearer »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 09:20:38 AM »

Thanks for your sharing of info and experience. I guess if roe bags works, it will be nice to get at least one of the two hooks on roe bag to cut down the consumption rate. It costs a fortune to buy in from tackle shop and I don't fish the Stave much nor target chum in the Vedder. The last 'silver' looking chum I got was full of loose eggs. I know I can use them in the Vedder for coho and steelhead but will be nice to use roe bag for bar fishing in tidal Fraser.

Another question I have is does spring roe work? I mean I have some white spring roe which I cure with pro cure. I used spring roe first as I had no chum roe yet when tidal Fraser opened. I was out fished 6-0 by the guy fishing next to me, his boraxed cured chum roe vs my procured white spring roe. I wonder if red spring roe will do better. So finally I got a chum with good roe, I went back to the Surrey bar and was promptly into 3 coho, faster and more hook up by the two guys fishing by my side with older roe (not sure if they use chum roe). So now with some loose eggs, I will test out if roe bag chum roe will still hook them. Has anyone hooked coho regularly with spring roe , even pink or fresh coho roe?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:23:29 AM by Steelhawk »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 06:49:16 PM »

roe from all the species works. I caught fish with sockeye, coho chum etc. Chum is the preferred roe as it was invariably close to mature when the fish was caught. Springs were often months from spawning when caught either commercially or by sport. A white spring from the Vedder should have roe of the same quality.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.