Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lure casting at the beach  (Read 3534 times)

KarateKick

Lure casting at the beach
« on: November 05, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »

When you are casting spoons at the beach, do you do a normal vertical swing, or a more horizontal swing with the rod?

Do you put a lot of strength into the back swing to load the rod?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Lure casting at the beach
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 01:27:45 PM »

Flick to a stop. Or hard acceleration to a stop.
The flick, or acceleration,  is done with the rod.  Often I see inexperienced anglers using their arms far too much and sort of lobbing the whole rod out.

I mostly swing to the side but as your skill increases you will be able to launch from any position so whatever is easiest for you.
If I’m really trying to bomb it out there I will load the road with the backswing. My lure flying above the rod on the backswing and kind of to the side or slightly under the rod tip on the way out in one fluid motion. I wouldn’t spend time trying to mimic that technique that’s just the way I do it.

Trying to long bomb it might just cause more frustration then anything if you’re inexperienced or with someone who is. If the lure is going sky high you’re releasing too early. If it’s splashing down hard 10 feet out you’re holding on too long.

bunnta

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 04:06:57 PM »

So pro bass fisher flick style? I see this often in youtube lol. 

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:15:23 AM »

You must be the type who throws your shoulder and back out trying to make it land on the far bank??

KarateKick

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 07:32:24 AM »

Flick to a stop. Or hard acceleration to a stop.
The flick, or acceleration,  is done with the rod.  Often I see inexperienced anglers using their arms far too much and sort of lobbing the whole rod out.

Thank you Noah. How much line do you leave between the line and the tip of the rod?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:38:38 AM by KarateKick »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »

So pro bass fisher flick style?

That what I do when chucking crocs and bluefoxs etc.  Economy of movement and super accurate.  Also I can outcast, when needed, my fishing buddies who do the full on overhead huck. 

Always make me shake my head when I see guys casting lures making a huge whipping/whooshing sound with the rod and line.  There should be almost no noise.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »

That what I do when chucking crocs and bluefoxs etc.

And if you can perfect the BassMaster flick while rocking a pair of pyjama bottoms, then you are well on your way to angling perfection! :)

KarateKick

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »

That what I do when chucking crocs and bluefoxs etc.  Economy of movement and super accurate.  Also I can outcast, when needed, my fishing buddies who do the full on overhead huck. 
Always make me shake my head when I see guys casting lures making a huge whipping/whooshing sound with the rod and line.  There should be almost no noise.

To do it with almost no sound, I guess the rod tip moves only a couple of inches each way?

Do you need really strong wrists to do this?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »

Thank you Noah. How much line do you leave between the line and the tip of the rod?

12-24” usually. Or until the swivel for the leader is near the tip.

KarateKick

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 01:40:16 PM »

Do you need a fast action rod to do this?  I imagine a whippy rod would make a bigger sound.