Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum tags  (Read 3422 times)

salmonrook

Chum tags
« on: November 03, 2017, 06:25:24 PM »

Was on the Vedder today, boy was it cold , only saw 4 people.
I saw some spawned out chum in the side channels and they had tags on them .
They had 2 round orange tags just below the dorsal fin and one with 2 round green tags just below or at the bottom of the dorsal fin.
I assume they are for tracking the fish and their patterns and location .

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:38:03 PM by salmonrook »

salmonrook

Re: Chum tags
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:41:08 PM »

So let me answer my own question
They are Petersen Disc tags applied at a location downriver and apparently counted or recovered upriver to track migration patterns and spawning habits. Would like to know the original tagging location but that is probably classified info from DFO.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 10:50:26 PM »

I'm curious how they control for high water events that would wash the carcasses downstream and confound any data re. spawning location. Although I suppose that's less of an issue for off channel habitat that is less susceptible to water fluctuations.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 08:40:13 AM »

I'm curious how they control for high water events that would wash the carcasses downstream and confound any data re. spawning location. Although I suppose that's less of an issue for off channel habitat that is less susceptible to water fluctuations.
I talked to the people as they were tagging and the tags are used to estimate the total return of chums for the year by going to spawning beds and counting the ratio between tagged and untagged fish. Those high water events would wash away an equal ratio of tagged vs. untagged fish so the data would not be impacted too significantly.
Someone was here

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »

I talked to the people as they were tagging and the tags are used to estimate the total return of chums for the year by going to spawning beds and counting the ratio between tagged and untagged fish. Those high water events would wash away an equal ratio of tagged vs. untagged fish so the data would not be impacted too significantly.

certainly are a large number of uncontrollable variables involved in estimating the number of salmon that leave as young and re-enter as adults. Goes some way to explaining why there can be a large difference between the estimated return and the actual return.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.