Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best/favorite 400 size baitcaster?  (Read 7941 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Best/favorite 400 size baitcaster?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 09:52:43 AM »

Thanks HOOK but that Luna is RH and I need/want LH.

I have a Calcutta 201B which is my smallest baitcaster. Up from there would be a vintage Abu 5001, and a bit bigger/heavier the Currado 301 E7.

For me I find them too light on a med-heavy rod 10'6 or longer. For me the rod feels tip heavy, like I'm holding the tip up all day. Slap a heavier reel in the 11.5oz range on and ahhh, that feels better! I've tried a rubber slip on thing with lead pucks in it you put on the rod but. Does work but I think it looks super mickey-mouse. Could have a heavier butt cap permanently put on the rod but I'm not down with that.

For me the heavier rods just look, feel, cast and fish better with a slightly bigger reel on. I'm not talking about a 7000 abu, that's too big/heavy for float fishing for me all day! They got to be north of 15oz. Something in the 11.5oz range like my Shimano Cardiff seems to balance these beef sticks out nicely. I just want a nicer reel than the Cardiff which I've had for 8 or so years. 

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 10:21:27 AM »

Spawn Sack - from what I can tell by looking at the link Hook provided, that Luna 300L IS a LHW.  Another question - what is your target species for this medium/heavy rod and what water/river do you intend to use it?

Good luck and have fun!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 03:39:12 PM »

Id pretty much use the rod on the Vedder. I live close by and it's the primary river I fish. Id use the rod where I currently fish my convergence 10'6, med-heavy, 12-25 line rating. Faster water for any salmon or steelhead, and also as my go-to for springs in the early fall. I "can" use my CT 2106 for this type of fishing but the rod is a bit underpowered. I often will have to walk a big fish down, sometimes way down! Whereas with the convergence I can usually hold my ground and haul the fish in with the power of the rod.
I release most of the fish I catch. I'll keep the odd chrome spring and smoke it up, and a few clean hatchery coho each fall. We don't eat a ton of fish. I don't kill more than I can eat before next fishing season. We'll also bonk the odd interior trout and pan fry or smoke it whole. Anyway my point here is that since I release most of my fish I like to play them pretty hard and get them in fast. Don't like completely exhausting the fish with an under powered rod. Typically when I release a fish it is still full of beans and gives me a face wash when it takes off. This is how I like it!
Why not just fish the damn convergence since it is doing the job just fine? Quite simply I like nice stuff and I want some new toys. I don't smoke, drink only a little, don't gamble, and so on. For me most of my play $ goes to fishing stuff and I want a 2nd Sage rod dammit :)

Also thanks FFM the Luna I'm sure is a dandy reel. Even if that one is LH I kind of have my mind made up that the reel will be a Calcutta D or Tranx. I like Shimano levelwinds.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:41:21 PM by Spawn Sack »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 05:47:09 AM »

Thanks HOOK but that Luna is RH and I need/want LH.

I have a Calcutta 201B which is my smallest baitcaster. Up from there would be a vintage Abu 5001, and a bit bigger/heavier the Currado 301 E7.

For me I find them too light on a med-heavy rod 10'6 or longer. For me the rod feels tip heavy, like I'm holding the tip up all day. Slap a heavier reel in the 11.5oz range on and ahhh, that feels better! I've tried a rubber slip on thing with lead pucks in it you put on the rod but. Does work but I think it looks super mickey-mouse. Could have a heavier butt cap permanently put on the rod but I'm not down with that.

For me the heavier rods just look, feel, cast and fish better with a slightly bigger reel on. I'm not talking about a 7000 abu, that's too big/heavy for float fishing for me all day! They got to be north of 15oz. Something in the 11.5oz range like my Shimano Cardiff seems to balance these beef sticks out nicely. I just want a nicer reel than the Cardiff which I've had for 8 or so years.

I'm very positive it was a lefty otherwise I was thinking if grabbing it but I'm a right hander. I was disappointed because the levels for sale seem to always be lefties
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/