Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bullheads in the tidal Fraser  (Read 11464 times)

KarateKick

Bullheads in the tidal Fraser
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:11:39 PM »

Are there bullheads in the tidal Fraser?

I have never seen anyone catch anything that looks like the bullhead catfish I've read about:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_bullhead

Every time I see someone catch a "bullhead" it's always actually a sculpin.

I actually wouldn't mind catching a bullhead catfish for the kids to see. How do you catch one?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:24:02 PM by KarateKick »

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Bullheads in the tidal Fraser
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »

My first inclination was that they would not be present in the lower/tidal Fraser due to the salinity of the water, but as it turns out my first inclination was wrong. :)

If you search the Fisheries Information Database http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/fidq/searchMultipleWaterbodies.do you'll see that bullhead catfish are found in large number of water bodies in the Lower Mainland, including some sloughs in the tidal Fraser. To query the database, select the Chilliwack Forest District and fish species BNH.

I haven't fished catfish for years, but when I did I had no problem catching them worms fished on the bottom. I used a simple sliding ledger weight system, threaded a dew worm on a hook, tossed it out in the water, leaned my rod against a forked stick, and waited. You can go crazy with all sorts of catfish stink baits, and those may work better than worms, but worms worked just fine for me.

TimL

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:09:49 PM »

I caught one as bycatch off Annacis Island while bar fishing for dollies/bull trout last spring. Although rare, I am not surprised to see them in the estuary at this time of year due to freshet. I was using a double bar rig with one hook baited with worm and the other with roe..the catfish was hooked on the worm. This same bottom fishing setup (single/double), with some modifications can also be used for other coarse fish (e.g. pike minnow, peamouth, sculpin), trout, and even salmon in the tidal fraser.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 10:52:24 PM »

There are plenty of bullheads in the Lower Fraser. Use worms or roe and you should do just fine.

Jk47

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 07:51:51 AM »

The bullhead fishing on the lower Fraser can, at times, be absolutely AMAZING! These feisty (some prefer pesky) lil devils can keep you occupied and entertained all day long! For your best chance at these prized fighters (who can reach scale-tipping weights of 1 whole pound) I suggest loading up on premium salmon roe, grab a folding chair and a six pack of your favourite beverage, and hit your favourite spot on the river with the giddy, excited expectations of catching several large hatchery Cohos throughout the day (this show of anticipation towards the completely opposite targeted species seems to be a key factor). So, now that youre all ready, tight lines - and remember: set you're drag real light so you enjoy the real-screaming runs these horny lil bastards can take you on!!ftp://

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:06:22 AM »

What do you do with a bullhead? Just catch and release or are there sub-species that are edible? Not that I am ever going to target or attempt to eat one of those creepy looking creatures. I don't even like the thought of handling one for fear of an infectious sting. Just curious. If I saw a 1-pound bullhead I would have thought it was a juvenile lingcod. I never knew they grew that large.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »

Bullhead vs Bullhead Catfish. Very different beasts.
I'm guessing a Bullhead Catfish would be tasty, though you wouldn't mistake it for a ling cod.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »

I'm guessing a Bullhead Catfish would be tasty, though you wouldn't mistake it for a ling cod.

Thanks for clarifying.

A bullhead is a bullhead, is not a bullhead :)

TimL

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »

What do you do with a bullhead? Just catch and release or are there sub-species that are edible? Not that I am ever going to target or attempt to eat one of those creepy looking creatures. I don't even like the thought of handling one for fear of an infectious sting. Just curious. If I saw a 1-pound bullhead I would have thought it was a juvenile lingcod. I never knew they grew that large.
Have you heard of the cabezon? Biggest in the sculpin family at about a meter and 30 lbs..ugly but apparently delicious!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »

Put any fish in front of an Asian chef and they will produce something amazing

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 02:12:36 PM »

Sculpins are said to be edible and quite tasty. Staghorns in the salt get to a good size. In freshwater, sculpins have higher water purity requirements than trout.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 05:27:12 PM »

Lots of bullheads to be had at the bar on the north shore of the Fraser 1/2 km west of the
Port Mann Bridge. So many of us fishermen caught them & a smart crane would stand nearby like a statue.
It looked like it was in a trance. Did not move at all for 15-20 minutes.
When the many bullheads were hooked we threw it to words the crane's direction.
Even if the fish fell to the ground 15-20 ft away from the bird it would suddenly spring to life & fly over & swallow it.
The bird would eat 20 bullhead at least & more but I had to leave. Maybe it ate 10 or 20 more. All ya eat smorgasbord.
Have caught bullheads in Steveston area as well.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:10:13 PM by A-BOATER »

TimL

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 06:09:54 PM »

Sculpins are said to be edible and quite tasty. Staghorns in the salt get to a good size. In freshwater, sculpins have higher water purity requirements than trout.
I once kept a 2 lb great sculpin caught off Ambleside pier just to try. So many worms! After deworming and skinning, the fillets look ok..no pin bones at all..too bad it was overcooked..it turned rubbery after cooking. I don't think I will be keeping any more of those though after seeing the parasite load in that fish..nasty!

And this species gets big..I hooked one off the pier this summer that was at least 5 lbs, maybe more.. I could not hoist it up the pier and it eventually broke my leader off. Fight was terrible though..felt like a big clump of seaweed lol

KarateKick

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 06:12:04 PM »

That's a sculpin. So I guess there are bullhead sculpins, not just bullhead catfish?

We catch a lot of sculpins in the river. Some (if not all) have two little horns that jab you when you try to grab the fish.  Is that what people mean when they talk about catfish having stings?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:25:22 PM by KarateKick »

TimL

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »

No such thing..lol the word 'bullhead' correctly refers to catfish of the family Ictaluridae. Sculpins are a separate family distantly related to bullhead catfishes. They are actually more closely related to familiar species like rock fish, lingcod, and greenlings.
Many catfish have venomous fin spines and can deliver a painful sting..the spines on sculpins are on the gill covers and they are usually not venomous.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:35:27 PM by TimL »