Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats with regs on the Capilano?  (Read 11445 times)

avid angler

Re: Whats with regs on the Capilano?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »

:o and if that roe finds its way into a wild mouth I assume the outcome of the fish would be no different than if it was a hatchery. You’ve hiked far enough away from people that the rules don’t apply to you... congratulations. Your no different than the guys poaching with treble hooks at night and you justify it cause “9 out of 10 guys” bla bla bla b.s . I fish in remote spots... I fish as per the rules...bait ban...that’s fine I catch just as many on hardware. Catch and release only river...I’m fine with that also. I do this because of one big thing.. ETHICS!! & the thought that maybe one day when my kids grow up there will be fish left and we can enjoy the sport together.  Canyon poachers...tired of you guys... I hike in to get away from ppl and fish in peace...others just want to get away from people so they can poach with no remorse...  8)
I hate to break it to you. But people using bait in the capilano canyon won’t have any effect on whether there will be any fish in the capilano for future generations. Government funding to the hatchery is what will change it for better or worse

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 12:15:14 AM »

I hate to break it to you. But people using bait in the capilano canyon won’t have any effect on whether there will be any fish in the capilano for future generations. Government funding to the hatchery is what will change it for better or worse

You're right 'bout the Coho but wrong...To my knowledge the bait ban exists to protect the very small population of wild STEELHEAD during a month the river is intensely fished for HATCHERY COHO. This is a satisfactory solution in my opinion because you must consider anglers of all experience levels...some who may not be able to identify or safely release a sub-20 inch Steelie etc.

avid angler

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 08:13:28 PM »

There’s no such thing as wild anything on the capilano. The dam cut off all the spawning habitat. Sure there is unclipped fish but without the hatchery they wouldn’t exist

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 10:28:24 PM »

there is spawning habitat about the reservoir. The problem is there isn't a decent fishway and trucking fish above has never worked.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 09:28:35 PM »

What halcyonguitars said.

If you are fishing against the regulations, you're poaching. I don't care if using bait during the bait ban period is "better" than intentionally snagging, you're poaching, don't even try to justify it.

Don't agree with the regulations, go get them changed.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 10:40:48 PM »

There’s no such thing as wild anything on the capilano. The dam cut off all the spawning habitat. Sure there is unclipped fish but without the hatchery they wouldn’t exist

that hatchery had it's first salmon return in the mid-70s. The dam was completed 1954 so there was 20+ years between the dam and the first production from the hatchery yet there were salmon in the Capilano between. Salmon and steelhead that would have once gone above where the dam was were trapped at the dam base and trucked above the reservoir and released where some spawned and some of their progeny made it downstream to the ocean.

If the dam & reservoir system had been built with salmon migration as a consideration that approach may have worked better than it did.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »

What halcyonguitars said.

If you are fishing against the regulations, you're poaching. I don't care if using bait during the bait ban period is "better" than intentionally snagging, you're poaching, don't even try to justify it.

Don't agree with the regulations, go get them changed.

X2!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 06:00:07 PM »

I like my eggs poached

You should definitely check out the Stave then :D