Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats with regs on the Capilano?  (Read 11446 times)

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Whats with regs on the Capilano?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 07:11:25 PM »

The people who use it know there is a bait ban. They also probably know COs wont bother going down the canyon to ticket them.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 07:30:58 PM »

That falls under the steveston office territory, They have the chum fishery to manage right now, commercial crabbers, all the ocean from white rock to sechelt (east side of the straight).  They have like 6 officers how often do u expect to see them?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 02:24:50 PM »

Never have I ever seen a CO, even amongst the most egregious scenes of violation. I really think that they could pay their salaries multifold by simply going to the common fishing spots and taking in fines hand over fist.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »

I'd be more worried about the 15 guys ripping hooks into Chinook bellies at the cable pool, than I would about a few people using bait.

If they want to protect the few summer run steelhead, close the cable pool to fishing..

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »

Fines, seized equipment, seized fish go into general revenue and have no part in DFO annual budget. DFO budget is determined by politicians in Ottawa. Best thing to do is report it to DFO, then write a letter to the fishery’s minister and demand to see more officers.

If you can video tape it and YouTube it and send it to a news agency. During the Fraser River fish wars in the late 90 that the news got involed in.DFO Conservation and protection received a nice budget increase locally.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 07:34:56 PM »

Its hard to say because I am not on the river every day, but the guys getting busted probably wouldn't let the forum know about their encounter...  :P

RICHARD CRANIUM

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »

Perhaps guys are super frustrated by the harvest techniques demonstrated by F.N.

Weirs...
Shopping carts...
The Coast Salish Fly...

All sanctioned and approved by DFO.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 04:25:51 PM »

Perhaps guys are super frustrated by the harvest techniques demonstrated by F.N.

Weirs...
Shopping carts...
The Coast Salish Fly...

All sanctioned and approved by DFO.

Great first post. FN are harvesting fish as is their right guaranteed by parliament. They should use the most effective methods.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 12:34:01 AM »

As far as I am concerned as long as you hike into the canyon far out of the way of where anyone will find you, if some salmon eggs find their way onto my hook and into a hatchery Coho mouth, and then the fish flaps into the rocks and bleeds to death, I'll take it.. Seems that 9 out of 10 guys on that river have snagging, or flossing on mind anyway.

::)

Shinny

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 07:40:17 AM »

As far as I am concerned as long as you hike into the canyon far out of the way of where anyone will find you, if some salmon eggs find their way onto my hook and into a hatchery Coho mouth, and then the fish flaps into the rocks and bleeds to death, I'll take it.. Seems that 9 out of 10 guys on that river have snagging, or flossing on mind anyway.

:o and if that roe finds its way into a wild mouth I assume the outcome of the fish would be no different than if it was a hatchery. You’ve hiked far enough away from people that the rules don’t apply to you... congratulations. Your no different than the guys poaching with treble hooks at night and you justify it cause “9 out of 10 guys” bla bla bla b.s . I fish in remote spots... I fish as per the rules...bait ban...that’s fine I catch just as many on hardware. Catch and release only river...I’m fine with that also. I do this because of one big thing.. ETHICS!! & the thought that maybe one day when my kids grow up there will be fish left and we can enjoy the sport together.  Canyon poachers...tired of you guys... I hike in to get away from ppl and fish in peace...others just want to get away from people so they can poach with no remorse...  8)

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 11:58:26 AM »

damn, this has turned into a very sad thread (why am I still surprised by this....)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »

I have always thought that they should just net the rivers that people call food hatcherys and just hand out the fish to people that come there for the meat.

Shinny

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »

Uh, never good to assume anything! I would rather stick to the rules to avoid fines and hopefully help the fish survive for the future. Though the Cap is a hatchery kill river mostly.. without that hatchery there wouldn't be any fish :P. Still I leave the wild ones alone. I'd say the guys ripping trebles are a lot worse than me.. I arrive most mornings to find tons of fish guts and fresh roe skins everywhere on the ground/ in the water. I've gone to the highway bridge pool to smoke weed and have a beer in the middle of the night with friends and watch people rape the pool with fist size barbed trebles.. they get a lot of big Chinook.

Anyway. I catch and release and use hardware/fly too. Of all the rivers though the Cap shouldn't have a bait ban, that river is a big joke! Ethics don't exactly apply to this in my opinion as who is to say if it is the right or wrong thing to do? The DFO? Look at the rest of the river, it's an absolute debauchery, and they do nothing to stop it! Is using roe in the canyon against the DFO rules on a complete kill/meat river that is damned off and 100% relies on the hatchery for any fish to return really so bad? Ethically? I think it's honestly debatable! Though probably not the best place to advertise, but, f it!

Why would anyone hike into the canyon to poach when they do it all day and night at the easy access pools?? Lol.. just because I've broken the rules before doesn't mean I'm a poacher. Besides.. as you mentioned you can get just as many if not more in hardware or flies if you know how to use them... and less mess!

I apologize for my comments insinuating that your poaching. I agree with everything you said...there is a lot of questionable fishing methods on the cap. Using roe isn’t the worst thing you can do and the fish still gotta bite. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning....had it been an hour later and a coffee I wouldn’t have replied being such a jerk.   :-X

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 08:09:34 PM »

I dunno. I admit I feel a bit of frustration when I see people not sticking to the regs. Regs are hard lines while 'ethics' are a blurry morass of opinions which will change from person to person.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 08:28:31 PM »

^ X2