Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats with regs on the Capilano?  (Read 11446 times)

MetalAndFeathers

Whats with regs on the Capilano?
« on: October 25, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »

Was wondering why there is no retention for hatchery steelhead on the capilano? There are smaller systems around with probably less fish that still allow retention for hatchery steelhead. I doubt there is much spawning habitat on the river so they are mainly hatchery fish (which are usually meant  to provide meat for anglers?) .  Not only that but there is a bait ban to protect hatchery steelhead  ??? ??? ???

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
Re: Whats with regs on the Capilano?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »

The stock is at critical low levels and  there is no surplus for retention. Summer runs being in the worse shape.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »

The stock is at critical low levels and  there is no surplus for retention. Summer runs being in the worse shape.
Odd. The allouette is mainly hatchery and it is no where near as big as the Cap yet there are better returns/retention. Is there a comfirmed reason why Cap stocks are down?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »

Something to do with that big chunk of concrete just above the hatchery...... ;D

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:28:07 PM »

As does the South Allouette!........ ;D
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

Lots more available habitat below the Alouette dam as well rearing/spawning as well.  Capilano appears to have lost most of its decent gravel as there is no recruitment when the river blows it out and it goes wall-to-wall raging water. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 07:17:28 AM »

The Alouette has a reasonable # of wild fish, at least judging by what I catch. There is good habitat above the hatchery. That area is also closed providing refugia for both spawning and rearing wild fish. It also has a 2 month spring time closure. Lastly there has been some substantial habitat restoration done. The Cap (which I don't fish) has none of these, plus it gets punishing pressure both in the river and at the estuary and surrounds.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:46:24 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 07:25:54 AM »

Lots more available habitat below the Alouette dam as well rearing/spawning as well.  Capilano appears to have lost most of its decent gravel as there is no recruitment when the river blows it out and it goes wall-to-wall raging water.

Hey, hey , hey - Gold Hammered Croc - pinch your barb.  :o

Sorry - off topic but your head shot has the barb up.  ;D

The hatchery fish are for the FN taking. Probably some backdoor deal where FN allows some land access but the Hatchery program must be maintained to ensure Salmon returns. Probably another stretch by me. I'm not saying this to be negative in any way but it's what I strongly suspect.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:32:03 AM by Rieber »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:50:48 AM »

Allouette dose not have the best habitat. BC hydro floods it every spring sending salmons smolts on to peoples lawns.  Its plagues by farm and fertilizer pollution. Sockeye (beach spawning) and Chinook (gold creek spawning) can't make it to there native spawning habitat because of the hydro dam. 

To date this year at the fish fence 1 Chinook, 1 coho and no sockeye have been seen.  Coho tend to wait for high water events and go over the fence tho.

That being said The Cap is likely closed for the same reason why rock fish will never be open around Vancouver.  Fishing pressure

They do have a fair number of chum that return it's limited to 1 per day as it's a mainly a volunteer hatchery with the purpose of providing food to the forest and animals.  Kanaka Creek hatchery is basically the same thing but they have closed Kanaka for chum.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »

No chum retention on the Cap.

Ambassador

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »

No chum retention on the Cap.
And for some strange reason those are the only fish that I seem to catch on the Cap :o
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »

Allouette dose not have the best habitat. BC hydro floods it every spring sending salmons smolts on to peoples lawns.

the spring water releases are a recent event - just started in the last few years - in an attempt to flush young kokanee over the dam as similar releases due to natural run off have seen small numbers of sockeye come back.  There is little or no farming above Neaves Road though there are development issues above that however good habitat above 232St at Maple Ridge Park. Adult salmon have  been blocked by the dam since about 1930. Like all local rivers it is subject to periodic high water flows. I have read a number of habitat reviews  of the Alouette and most consider it has good habitat with moderate productivity - which means better than most local streams and certainly better than the Cap. The upper section above the hatchery is basically undeveloped and I have walked along sections of it. Prior to mid-70s the Alouette produced well over 1,000 wild steelhead per year on average.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:45:28 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 05:48:29 PM »

Very interesting. Thanks guys

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 06:37:38 PM »

There are no Regs on the Capilano, you can use barbs, trebles and roe any time you want; apparently.  At least 50% or more of the anglers I see down there are currently and have been using roe.    :(   >:(

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »

Sad but true. I was fishing the other day and a father/son duo turned up and started using roe. I said 'you know there a bait ban, right?' The kid just said yeah, so I said it to the father who said he was status so he was good. Whatever...