Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request 2 - No Bottom Bouncing  (Read 44129 times)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics

You are right Gord I do get sick of people standing next to me with the constant " RIP !!! "  maybe that is a result of BB and maybe not !! I know there are a large number of "fishermen " that fish solely for the purpose of meat and alot of those people don't give a damn about any regulations... my point is that I don't think that BB really causes a great deal of loss in the Sockeye survival rate... I know that it bothers you and many others a great deal ... to me if it isn't causing a loss of fish I don't mind if people choose to fish that way, I think a good compromise would be to restrict leader length to 36 inches or less but I don't believe that constantly calling people snaggers is any way to fix a problem, after meeting you and learning through other people and posts I think you are an educated and decent person!! the way that you deal with certain subjects surprises me a little ...

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Maybe 2:40 thinks the same as me and sees no place for snagging period.
Why are people now snagging Chinook.
Is there a Harvest for Chinook now as well?
If the fish arent biting then i would say you are snagging.
In a river it is much to your advantage to use a shorter leader which keeps your hook on the bottom where the fish are.
But if your snagging then the long leader will help as it flosses them.

I cant believe there are still people out there that actually think they are legally catching these fish.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

I'M SORRY TO SAY BOYS AND GIRLS THAT UNFORTUNATELY WE DON'T LIVE IN A PERFECT WORLD.  SO IF DFO DECIDES TO CLOSE THE RIVERS BECAUSE THEY CHOSE TO BE VAGUE ...SO BE IT

They have no choice but to be vague as I say in one way or another in every post I make! Dont blame them, blame the guys who are not cooperating and who are showing DFO that some anglers lack the ability to be responsible for THEMSELVES.

that's the most ridiculous thing i've heard on this thread. their job is to enforce the regs implemented by the government.  you say they have no choice and the responsibility lies on the angler.....then guess what? ..... the word 'selective' can be misinterpreted, misconstrued, (and of course) abused.    yet, because 'they have no choice' but to be vague, they'll ultimately make 'a decisive' choice to close the river.

"single barbless hook"
"bait ban"
"within white triangle markers"
"one hour before sunrise...one hour past sunset"
"no fishing allowed"
"no retention"

the list goes on and on.....pretty specific regs, so to say they have no choice is a bit of a 'load'.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!

You are right Gord I do get sick of people standing next to me with the constant " RIP !!! "  maybe that is a result of BB and maybe not !! I know there are a large number of "fishermen " that fish solely for the purpose of meat and alot of those people don't give a damn about any regulations

Ive done general surveys on the river. I dont just chat it up with fellow anglers just to serve my purposes; I enjoy visiting with others too, but I do listen to what they say. The guy ripping away with a deep float was introduced to salmon angling on the Fraser. He knows no other way. The guys I talk to who share this is a very high %. And since they're 'spoiled' it is really hard for them to change to a biting tactic when they're hooking fish frequently, even if in the back. I share the other way to fish respectfully. Case in point during FisherForever's fishing clinic. I guy was bottom bouncing in the canal. We started talking (of course, he only started fishing the Fraser that summer) and it lead to asking about my set up. I shared about it but I dont think he really was interested. Catching is the game or he'd have started fishing a long time ago. Anyway, I gave him a handful of floats, some roe and showed him how to tie up in case he wanted try it. When I drove by, I see he had taken off my set up and went back to the bouncing. Oh well, moral is to always try regardless.

... my point is that I don't think that BB really causes a great deal of loss in the Sockeye survival rate...

That's not the question. Every fish counts and sport anglers, regardless of impact, have to do their part. Sure, it's minimal compared to others, Ive never disputed that, but like Firstlight says, it isnt the point. Im not quite sure why we keep coming back to this?

to me if it isn't causing a loss of fish I don't mind if people choose to fish that way,

Then you might not oppose to the guy doing the same to steelhead? They're probably not doing much loss either...

Where does sport come into this Rick? If you're willing to take this stance, then you really dont have a leg to stand on when it comes to expressing annoyance towards the guy doing it on the Vedder.

I think a good compromise would be to restrict leader length to 36 inches or less

I agree, and it's coming!  ;)

but I don't believe that constantly calling people snaggers is any way to fix a problem, after meeting you and learning through other people and posts I think you are an educated and decent person!! the way that you deal with certain subjects surprises me a little ...

This is the hardest part. I call it snagging because I feel it is and that there is nothing to gain by trying to call it something else. But I do realize some dont take kindly to it. A rock and a hard place. Thanks for the kind works btw.  ;D

that's the most ridiculous thing i've heard on this thread. their job is to enforce the regs implemented by the government.  you say they have no choice and the responsibility lies on the angler.....then guess what? ..... the word 'selective' can be misinterpreted, misconstrued, (and of course) abused.    yet, because 'they have no choice' but to be vague, they'll ultimately make 'a decisive' choice to close the river.

"single barbless hook"
"bait ban"
"no fishing allowed"
"no retention"

the list goes on and on.....pretty specific regs, so to say they have no choice is a bit of a 'load'.

"single barbless hook"
"bait ban"
"no fishing allowed"
"no retention"

All the above are cited in the regulations and are at DFO's disposal to enforce.

Dealing with flossing (snagging) however is NOT. There are regulations pending to address this, but as Ive said numerous times, it takes about two years for a new regulation to be introduced and then placed in the book to be enforced.

In the MEANTIME, they can only rely on sport anglers to cooperate. You're right, that's a pretty silly thing to do and try to ask a large group to cooperate but they really dont have a choice. If they (anglers) dont cooperate, DFO can use other regulations that are currently in the books and this includes CLOSURE.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Good stuff 2:40 and now I donot have to post anything and can get back to fishing. ;D ;D

Happy that my sucess rate has now improved this last week  ;D ;D ;D but of course it is enough of a reward just getting out in the great outdoors but this 36 degree heat means fishing early and again in the late evening.

Will make some wild blackberry jam now before returning to the river. As well may film some scientific work UBC is doing on some sockeye.

I have been told the Early Stuarts are in the Fraser for a bit longer yet but Early Summers are now showing too.

<Thread closed, please continue at the new thread>
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 02:10:25 PM by Rodney »