Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request 2 - No Bottom Bouncing  (Read 44317 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Sorry boys but changes are coming, time to start learning other methods to catch your fish or you will be buying them at the Stevenson docks. ;D ;D

I have been pleased to have landed 2 adult chinook and one jack the last few days short floating. It was sure good to see the Maple Leaf Drennan disappearing once again, after a bit of a dry spell.

I was going to bring my Maple Leaf DNE's along to give them the pleasure of going for a swim too, sorry Daniel. :-[

Getting back on topic, it is good to see the majority of anglers complying with this request as the Master reported to me that while out guiding for sturgeon on the weekend not much snagging was going on. Others have said the same although there is some area of concern yet. I guess another week before the Early Stuarts clear the Lower Fraser.

I have yet to see a sockeye taken but of course I have not been near the snagging areas.
l
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:17:27 PM by chris gadsden »

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics

Just thought i would mention that the biggest fish you catch from the Fraser would most likely be by bar fishing. I've hooked some real beasts that almost took me water skiing. Most never made it to shore with some bending the hook straight and some breaking the hook shaft. These were chinook, not sturgeon. Got the blood pumping so bad I couldn't sprawl out in the lawn chair for a few minutes.

What's the point of bar-fishing if you can't land them(the bigguns)? I'll take the slightly smaller Spring from my boat that I have less problem netting.

Uh, get in the boat and float downstream with it? That's what we always do... Good times!

I've seen big springs spool anglers, and I've seen huge springs hitting rods so hard the rod launches like a missle launcher in to the river... The whole setup, gone!

And then there was a spring that Chris G hooked for me that ran so hard, the composite mooching reel burned his hand... Of course upon seeing that I was reluctant to grab the rod from him ;)

Amazing power of those fish...
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Just thought i would mention that the biggest fish you catch from the Fraser would most likely be by bar fishing. I've hooked some real beasts that almost took me water skiing. Most never made it to shore with some bending the hook straight and some breaking the hook shaft. These were chinook, not sturgeon. Got the blood pumping so bad I couldn't sprawl out in the lawn chair for a few minutes.

What's the point of bar-fishing if you can't land them(the bigguns)? I'll take the slightly smaller Spring from my boat that I have less problem netting.

Uh, get in the boat and float downstream with it? That's what we always do... Good times!

I've seen big springs spool anglers, and I've seen huge springs hitting rods so hard the rod launches like a missle launcher in to the river... The whole setup, gone!

And then there was a spring that Chris G hooked for me that ran so hard, the composite mooching reel burned his hand... Of course upon seeing that I was reluctant to grab the rod from him ;)

Amazing power of those fish...
;D ;D ;D Thats right Nicole they certainly were great days, days we will never forget and so glad we captured some of these moments on video, back as far as 1988.With changes now on the horizon hopefully our river will once again reagain some sanity. I know she (the river and other systems) hopes so as do many others. Thankfully that numbers are growing daily, hoping that sportsfishing once again becomes just that and lives up to its name.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

liketofish

• Old Timer

Most of the recreational bbing fishermen I talk to are thinking that the Selective Method clause may be the result of the repeated lobbying by the bar-fishing group that bbers have been hooking sockeyes before its opening, and that DFO ignores the fact that most bbers do not hook any sockeyes in early season. It is more a political clause to please those lobbyists who privately really want to have the bars and the springs to themselves. How can they be serious to stop a group from fishing while the group exacts minimal harm to sockeyes and while DFO allows the natives to net fish at the same time. These nets kill many many more socs. This is the main reason that the bbers choose to fish selectively by avoiding socs rather than complying to stay out of the river while the bar-fishers are still fishing (and they hook socs too). I will say this, the minute the bar-fishers are off the river, I will be off too. Just fair.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Most of the recreational bbing fishermen I talk to are thinking that the Selective Method clause may be the result of the repeated lobbying by the bar-fishing group that bbers have been hooking sockeyes before its opening, and that DFO ignores the fact that most bbers do not hook any sockeyes in early season. It is more a political clause to please those lobbyists who privately really want to have the bars and the springs to themselves. How can they be serious to stop a group from fishing while the group exacts minimal harm to sockeyes and while DFO allows the natives to net fish at the same time. These nets kill many many more socs. This is the main reason that the bbers choose to fish selectively by avoiding socs rather than complying to stay out of the river while the bar-fishers are still fishing (and they hook socs too). I will say this, the minute the bar-fishers are off the river, I will be off too. Just fair.

Great logic  ::)

So even though it is asked that you dont do it you are going to do it anyways. I sure hope you dont have kids because if thats the way you go about your business your kids will do the same.

Like I have said in the past the netting is a seperate issue and its not what is being discussed here. Be responsible as a fisherman because you are not the one doing the netting. If the netting being done is illegal than thats a big problem, but the netting being done is because they have openings. The people doing the netting are not on the forum and cannot give you any feedback. Have you written any letters regarding your concern about the netting? If not, than you are just justifying what you are doing with that excuse.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

liketofish

• Old Timer

Oh, ethics and fairness of fishing is only limited to this forum? No wonder we have so much trouble.  ;D

BB, be realistic and not just throwing out accusations. This netting thing is beyond average joes. It is native stuff and political. I wrote letters when it wouldl mean something. Years back when Harcourt's NDP government wanted to cut funding for the steelhead stocking program, I wrote to both Harcourt & Moe Shiota to complain and I actually had a reply from Shiota after they restored the funding. I also drafted a protest sign up letter & duplicated 300 copies of it at my cost to give them to tackle store for people to sign. Have you done anything like that?  ;) If not, better shut up.  :D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Oh, ethics and fairness of fishing is only limited to this forum? No wonder we have so much trouble.  ;D

BB, be realistic and not just throwing out accusations. This netting thing is beyond average joes. It is native stuff and political. I wrote letters when it wouldl mean something. Years back when Harcourt's NDP government wanted to cut funding for the steelhead stocking program, I wrote to both Harcourt & Moe Shiota to complain and I actually had a reply from Shiota after they restored the funding. I also drafted a protest sign up letter & duplicated 300 copies of it at my cost to give them to tackle store for people to sign. Have you done anything like that?  ;) If not, better shut up.  :D

I write tons of letters and do a ton of volunteering. I have been fighting the bass limit for over 2 years here. As much as many of the letters do nothing their is always a glimmer of hope. For instance I wrote to get in a dock at Mike lake. I started over 3 years ago and guess what happened? They put in a brand new dock just this past year.

What accusations are you reffering too? I am not accusing anyone of anything that they have not already admitted too.

Yes the netting is beyond us but two wrongs dont make a right.

If fishing was just a meat fishery to me I would give it up and take up another hobby. I rarely keep any fish. I usually keep a bunch of pinks in odd years for smoking, chums for smoking as well, and a couple springs and coho for the BBQ. All my trout are released.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures

After observing repetition of arguments being used on both sides, moderators of Fishing with Rod discussion forum would like to request all participants to selectively post information during July and August of 2007. There shall be an implementation of no flossing talk during this requested time. The objective of this request is to preserve the interest and spirit of moderators which are endangered during this time of the year. Failure to comply to this request may result in a total ban of posting by all discussion forum members. ;)

:D

Amen Brother!

hotrod

After observing repetition of arguments being used on both sides, moderators of Fishing with Rod discussion forum would like to request all participants to selectively post information during July and August of 2007. There shall be an implementation of no flossing talk during this requested time. The objective of this request is to preserve the interest and spirit of moderators which are endangered during this time of the year. Failure to comply to this request may result in a total ban of posting by all discussion forum members. ;)

:D

Amen Brother!

AMEN HERE TOO!  LMAO!

Hotrod

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!

Beautiful Rod! That beats my "how many anglers does it take" hands down. But, until you come right out and say...Id better not push my luck!  ;D :D ;D

I thought some forum member with a numbered name is off the debate on this thread, but if you think he will spare the chance to shame and label us bottom bouncers as snaggers, you are delusional.

I think my attempt to express my good intent and lack of ill thoughts toward others was misunderstood. Poor 4x4 knows what he was talking about.  ;D

Flossing is not snagging by DFO's definition

No one here that Ive seen disputes that. Myself, I point out that it's the SAME as snagging regardless of what the regs say because it's pretty plain to see that it's snagging. The only thing is that this snagging is very sneaky and outside the current regulations ability to enforce. Does it make this snagging any different than the snagging that the regulations can enforce? Not at all and that's the point Im trying to make. The SAME issues you have should snagging in general be legal occurs as a result of snagging. Maybe not by a select few as Gooey mentioned, but we have to be honest. It's a very high % of people who abuse this fishery.  It's up to sport anglers to be able to think for themselves and not blindly follow regulations; especially when it's obvious it's just a loophole on something designed to regulate a dangerous fishing method. DFO has said as much as they can about this flossing. They CANT call it snagging themselves (although they all know it is and call it such around the coffee urn) but anyone can see they're treating it differently and are concerned with it and it's non selective nature.

QUESTION: Explain to me how this form of snagging is different even if the regs dont cover it! Isnt the intent the same? If the fish wont or cant bite, there's nothing left but to snag him!

Fishing in itself does not originate from using a hook or requiring a fish to bite

It does here.

Fish are netted, trapped, speared etc. everywhere else, including our Canadian provinces

That's everywhere else, so leave it there. Why does it have to be applied here?

Because some individuals with a fanatic and narrow point of view about sport fishing are trying to impose their twisted views on you

Trying to impose SNAGGING on sport angling and exploiting a lame loophole is pretty twisted and narrow minded to me!

So, should you turn yourself in after you have done the same in a public fishing bar?  Huh Have anyone been charged for doing that while they are fishing? Should DFO officers be ticketing people for their public indecent explosure while fishing???  Do bar fishers hold their urge until they get home

Gimme a break.  ::) I guess no one has taught you the simple trick of turning your back to everyone. And btw, that and the other examples are irrelevant to the topic.

Yes, I admit the fish may or may not bite when they are hooked in the mouth. Both you and I have no proof that when a Fraser fish is caught inside the mouth, it is done by flossing or by the fish biting it

Myself and others tested this fishery. Using bare hooks, a decent % were caught in a very convincing manner. But again, the intent is to FLOSS or why else the long leader. If you're looking for the mystery number that apparently bite, why not shorten the leader and act on it?

Why is it fish can see somewhere else in yellowish water but not the Fraser?

Because the Fraser is B-R-O-W-N!  :D

So, where do we begin to draw the line in this messy game about ethics of fishing? If you are not careful, you will drift towards PETA's reasoning and got trapped.

Ten years ago, PETA wouldnt have had a chance. Is shudder at the thought of one of them standing on the Keith Wilson Bridge or Peg Leg and watching the blood bath. Public support for angling will plummet. Maybe instead of trying to blame the ones trying to make it so PETA CANT do this, why not clean up our acts instead?

I'll say, I am a recreational fisherman intending to hook a fish legally for fun and for dinner, just like most life-forms which like to eat a fish, no more no less. Save your narrow and extreme points about your idealogy or biased view about fishing from those of us...

Depending on ONE argument (its legal) is pretty narrow minded to me!  ;)

I am begining to sense that behind all this shaming game is the ugly personal agenda of exclusionism - booting the majority of fishers off the river so they can enjoy their good old days of fishing with their buddies. Why this suspicision? Because they keep on saying wanting to protect fish stocks, but they said nothing about those Stuart sockeyes being sold, and turn around stomping on us who have rarely encountered a sockeye, not to say killing one. It is not about fish stocks. It is about personal bias which they try to jam down your throat.

You are most welcome in your opinions. Im not supporting anything that limits anyone from enjoying angling. I never said ONCE that YOU or anyone else cant pick up a fishing rod and utilize one of the DOZENS of methods to make a fish bite.

The nets are a different issue and you are right to be concerned about them. But quit hiding behind them...you can be seen right through them!!!  :D

I respect your perspective on fishing Liketofish, but I feel it's the exact one that will be the demise of angling and that's why the effort to rein this in. Do you enjoy fishing where the fish bite Liketofish or is fishing about the catching? In other words, could I ever find you bar fishing or casting spoons? Im not asking so I can say you're wrong, Im just curious.

I'M SORRY TO SAY BOYS AND GIRLS THAT UNFORTUNATELY WE DON'T LIVE IN A PERFECT WORLD.  SO IF DFO DECIDES TO CLOSE THE RIVERS BECAUSE THEY CHOSE TO BE VAGUE ...SO BE IT

They have no choice but to be vague as I say in one way or another in every post I make! Dont blame them, blame the guys who are not cooperating and who are showing DFO that some anglers lack the ability to be responsible for THEMSELVES.

Most of the recreational bbing fishermen I talk to are thinking that the Selective Method clause may be the result of the repeated lobbying by the bar-fishing group that bbers have been hooking sockeyes before its opening, and that DFO ignores the fact that most bbers do not hook any sockeyes in early season.

Sounds like a reliable, unbiased source you have there.  ::) DFO knows that flossing (snagging) is non selective and that's why they want it shut down. The ONLY reason these snaggers dont hook many sockeye is because there are not very many of them in the system. Dont think you guys are being selective. Thank the Laws of Probability instead.  ;D

DFO's been out on the water and they're watching for themselves. They have noted several sockeye hookups in their surveys.

Anyway, CG is right.  ;) Nice fish btw!
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

Let the dogs run with the bone.....or in 2:40s case the bone runith the dog. Take a 4:20 2:40 and do a 180 on what you think people should do. I've seen worse fishing practices that I'm not even going to mention on here, so if some people end up snagging fish in the mouth, so what. By all means they were then caught legally, if you hook them by the sphincter let them go. And speaking about sphincters maybe the regs should state no using long leaders and bouncing betties to fish between these dates........ Troll troll troll  :-*
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics

Gord you want to know why everyone keeps bringing up the nets ?? the answer is simple !! BB has very little effect on the Survival of the early Sockeye run, Nets have a huge effect on the run !! take away BB and you will make little or no effect on what is happening !! take away the nets and the un will stay strong !! people are getting upset by what you say because of that simple logic ... DFO's request is unreasonable because it won't change anything !! why can't you understand that ??

You don't like BB !! you think it is snagging !! not everybody shares you're opinion !! get over it !!  ;)

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!

2:40 That's pretty bold of you to say that you tested the flossing/biting method using bare hooks! Isn't that illegal? I'm sure you'll hide behind the excuse of being sanctioned by some government granted flossing study, or you just stuck a size 10 in your yap!

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!

Gord you want to know why everyone keeps bringing up the nets ?? the answer is simple !! BB has very little effect on the Survival of the early Sockeye run, Nets have a huge effect on the run !! take away BB and you will make little or no effect on what is happening !! take away the nets and the un will stay strong !! people are getting upset by what you say because of that simple logic ... DFO's request is unreasonable because it won't change anything !! why can't you understand that ??

You don't like BB !! you think it is snagging !! not everybody shares you're opinion !! get over it !!  ;)

TH

I agree with the nets statement but that's another topic and carries no weight with sport anglers snagging fish. But I also agree with DFO's choice because snagging has no place in fishing. Im not talking about conservation. Im talking about snagging. Rick, you yourself (I think, apologies if not) complain about the guys snagging steelhead next to you on the Vedder. These are the same guys you shared the Fraser with in July.

I think it's obvious that this is going to continue to grow and be a problem.

Instead of using nets to justify a questionable fishing opinion, why not focus on the nets in a way to bring them under control? Ill stand right next to you on that one. I have plenty of 'steam' to direct at nets and have put plenty towards it in the past.

Anyway, Im not telling anyone to stop. Of course I would like to see more sports anglers using some foresight and at least not doing it now. Taking a strong stand on snagging is even better IMO and that's why I dont don't it even if I'd remove all my garbage and bonk the first two sockeye that hit the rocks and make the fish bite in all other fisheries. Putting the brakes on this is done in other ways and Im pleasantly surprised at the progress made; not only in the general support that's growing to stop it. I just want the issue to be known and to share my ideas and concerns about it. We dont need more people picking up this method without having a chance to see both sides of it.

No one is being forced to read my posts, so Im not losing any sleep over your complaints Fishfreak. The topic is being freely discussed with limited to no insults or personal attacks. I approve of Rodney's choice.

Im not hiding behind anything. Sure, at the time I didnt know because fishing for fish that didnt bite and using snagging was new and unheard of to me, ATU. Ignorance is not an excuse though I freely admit that. If someone wants to charge me, Ill have my cheque book ready.  ;D ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:34:45 AM by 2:40 »
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?