Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A nice Cool Wet day on the Fraser.  (Read 3010 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
A nice Cool Wet day on the Fraser.
« on: October 15, 2006, 06:59:09 PM »

Decided late last night that I would head out on the Fraser with Flyguy and his Daughter for some barfishing.  Met up with him at 6:30 am and headed out.  Made it to our first spot of the day after hearing that this bar in the past has produced some Coho.  We get set up and see some fish rising, which was a promising sign, mind you pretty much everthing rising was chum.  Anyhow, we got a couple decent hit and the rain seemed to be holding off for the most part but the fog was in. 

This spot was also rather MUDDY!! :o  Thanks for that Flyguy, I am going to have to clean my waders good now!! ::) ;D
Also found this as the tide went out, but that is for another discussion. ???

So after flogging it there for a bit with not much of any success, other than a bullhead, we packed up and headed for the second spot of the day.  But did see something of some interest on the way there!! :o A limo pulled up in front of us and wouldn't you know a real NICE BLONDE jumps out of the Sunroof and gives us a show that will be etched in my memory for a while. ;D ;D  Nuff said about that.  Back to fishing.
 Upon arrival, we get geared up again and put our lines out and right away we are into some action.  I get into and land this. :)

Then shortly after i hook into something else much bigger that winds up breaking me off.  But I get fixed up and get it back out there, put my rod in the holder, turn around and take a coupe steps and Flyguy yells out, "Hey, your Rod".  I turn around to see me rod doubled and trying to go for a swim, so I make my way over to it, set the hook and get into another good fight!!  Which resulted in this! ;D

This one was a bit over three feet and put up a heck of a fight on the Salmon rod!!  That was about it for my action, Flyguy got some real nice hits but couldn't connect with anything. ???  That was about it for the day, packed up and headed home and I am still trying to dry out and warm up as I type this. ;D ;D  Feels like I am getting ready for Steelhead season already!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Sinaran

Re: A nice Cool Wet day on the Fraser.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 07:06:49 PM »

oh nice, thanks for the report!  it was sure wet to be out there today!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 07:07:36 PM »

What the hell that fisher better washed away from the beach by an angler who was gona keep it! >:( ???
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 07:10:35 PM »

Thanks for the report BS!,Nice dinos!
weeeeeeeeeow!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 07:26:11 PM »

Nice creatures BS :D
I would like to hear more about that blonde  ;D :o

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 07:27:44 PM »

and see a photo
weeeeeeeeeow!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 07:30:48 PM »

Nice creatures BS :D
I would like to hear more about that blonde  ;D :o
Next time we get out!! ;)  As for that photo, THE CAMERA WAS IN THE TRUNK!! ??? :'(
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 07:39:37 PM »

Yaa I cant wait to hear :D
Yaa sure yuh probably forgot it in the trunk...selfish,selfish,selfish my man! ;D ;D

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 07:40:29 PM »

Also sad to see that hit and run(ie. gutted spring) :-X

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 07:42:01 PM »

Hmmm..... think I'll do some bar fishing tomorrow. :D

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 07:43:25 PM »

I would be into that aswell FA....to bad I have to go and fricken learn some good knowledge!!! ;D :D

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 07:56:25 PM »

Thanks for the report Big Steel,sounds like you guys had a good blast at the flow too.

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 08:04:49 PM »

Well done nice fish,,
crab cakes

4x4

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 07:22:02 PM »

Big Steel,
We were fishing that first spot you were at on Sat. Besides the Spring you posted (that was killed strictly for the roe and wasted), there was a doe Chum about 30 yards down further and closer to the grass. Also gutted for the roe and left. We also saw a Chum, Spring and WILD Coho filleted on that beach. The Coho was in a little pool behind a log approx 50yards from where you took your pic with the bar setup. My buddy also found a Shimano fillet knife half buried in the mud their.

As far as I'm concerned this is just a bad as the intentional snagging that is happening in our local systems. Unfortunately last year on a bar a few km's down we found two Sturgeon heads in the summer. That day even our sons were disgusted that someone would do something like this.
We talked to Trish with DFO and she will report the gutted and filleted Salmon.

On Sunday we fished the Vedder and found five gutted Chum salmon and one Spring. Again, killed for the roe and wasted.
This is the single biggest reason (among others) why I am so against roe as a bait. Unfortunately it gives all the ethical roe fisherman a bad name but I would be a real happy camper seeing it banned everywhere.

blueback

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 10:33:54 PM »

The Bronto and I barfished the falling tide until dark on the lower Fraser last night. Bronto got a nice dolly about 3-31/2 lbs but that was all she wrote for us. Saw a bunch of woofs going by flopping around and porposing and later on a nice school of coho following and showing themselves. Amoungst the coho we saw some nice clean bucks and does and jacks, but at least half of the ones we saw on the surface were bronze colored. Should be some good action up river tommorrow morning!! Oh yeah, no buxom blonde flashes for us :'( ;) ;D