Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A summer evening in Steveston on August 7th  (Read 1161 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
A summer evening in Steveston on August 7th
« on: August 08, 2006, 12:50:37 AM »

Today I wanted to take advantage of the clear sunny day that we were having, so I suggested that we should catch the strong incoming tide in the afternoon to fish at some of our local piers in Steveston. Whenever the tidal difference is as big as what we had today, large schools of salmon tend to be pushed in during the incoming tide. I wanted to fish for our usual coarse fish while observing what were moving in. ;)

We first drove by No. 2 Road Pier at London's Landing, which seemed rather crowded, so we continued to the No. 3 Road Pier. At the No. 3 Road Pier, it looked somewhat empty so we decided to station there. It was three o'clock in the afternoon, the tide had already moved halfway in. I said to Nina, "The fish will definitely be biting."

Sure Rod. ;)

After 20 minutes of fishing, I pulled up a couple of small pikeminnows as well as a peamouth chub, while Nina was losing her bait for no apparent reason. Frustrated, she said, "Let's go back to No. 2 Road."

We picked up our gear, left in a hurry. The floating dock back at No. 2 Road was pretty packed, full of kids in fact. It was great to see, as the pier was serving its purpose, but what a headache it was for us. :P We settled down at one corner of the dock, hoping no kids would knock us on the head with the long fishing rods. It was one giant shiner perch city under the dock. The fish helped themselves to a big feast everytime the bait was sent down. Nina and I managed to bring in a few shiner perch, as well as a couple of pikeminnows.

For some reason, the No. 2 Road Pier is always infested with shiner perch every July and August, while None can be found around the No. 3 Road Pier. These tiny and hungry fish are great for the kids, scrappy on a light rod. They are easy to catch, as long as the fishing line is thin and the hook is small (size 12 or smaller recommended).

After an hour of listening kids screaming and running about, pounding on the metallic bridge that connects the pier to the floating dock, we had enough. It was time to pack it up and go home for supper. :)

After refueling for a few hours, we decided to head back down to Garry Point Park around 8:00pm. The tide had already started going out. Armed with a couple of spinners, we wanted to see if there are any large northern pikeminnows hiding in one of those bays at the park. Usually, in August, Garry Point Park produces large northern pikeminnows up to two feet long. They are no salmon, but are certainly fun on a light spinning rod. Most people catch them on a baited hook, but they can be just as easily caught on a artificial lure. I like to head down to the park early in the morning, especially if it coincides with a incoming tide and spincast for them. While spincasting for northern pikeminnow, occasionally the odd jack chinook, bull trout or cutthroat trout would also grab the lure. This unpredictable element makes the fishing very exciting.

Over the weekend I made up some spinners that are fitted with a size 4 french blade that has a green prism tape on it. Because the water clarity is still poor, I wanted to see if the green blade would stand out in the water better to improve catch success.

After spinning for ten minutes while Nina watched, I managed to miss two fish in a row. ::) Seeing what had happened, Nina grabbed her spinning rod and started fishing too.

The odd salmon were still jumping not very far from shore. Most of them were sockeye salmon. Seals were busy trying to fill up their stomach with salmon. It was a busy evening.

Nina casting into the bay while the full moon slowly emerges in the background.

After seeing one salmon leaping not too far from the edge of the bay where we were fishing, Nina decided to move further out to see if she could connect with one on the light spinning rod. ::) Few minutes later, a northern pikeminnow grabbed the tiny spinner several feet in front of her. :P

Nina's medium sized northern pikeminnow with the spinner hanging from its mouth.

The evening fishing ended around 8:45pm, it was getting almost too dark for the fish to see. I did not manage to connect with anything else. ::)

As the sky darkened and the moon rose, we managed to get a couple more photos. Awhile ago someone commented that we took too many sunset photos, so I would like to present a different shot today. :)

Right before we were leaving, a group of people showed up. One man in the group had a thick fishing rod in his hand, with what appeared to be a large weight at the end of the line. "That is one large lure!", Nina commented. I pretty much knew what was going to happen next. ::)

The man walked onto the rocks, casted the weight, with hooks on it of course, and began ripping across the water. My phone was ready to come out from the pocket as I could call up a couple of officers from the DFO office who I have known for a couple of years. That did not happen. The man was a First Nation individual. Quite often, during the sockeye salmon season, A few First Nation individuals would be snagging at Garry Point Park. It is not a pretty sight, but to them fishing is not a sport after all, and they are not prohibited to use the method that they like to catch their fish. It is better than running a net and gathering up many more fish I guess.

Nina wanted to go over there and talked to the man. My immediate answer was no. It was getting dark, and Nina sometimes does not hold back on what she wants to say. Guess who they would go after if they do not like her vocal way? :P Anyways, she went over there and talked to them anyways. ::) Nina wanted to know what is the chance hooking a fish by doing that. The man's reply was 45%. ;D According to him, the weight was apparently scented too. ;D Nevertheless, the man was friendly and answered what Nina wanted to know.

Anyways, enjoy the photos. The tidal Fraser River sockeye salmon experimental fishing continues. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: A summer evening in Steveston on August 7th
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 01:08:30 AM »

Sometimes it's very tough to bite your tongue and not say anything when you see that type of behaviour going on. :-X

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: A summer evening in Steveston on August 7th
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 11:52:00 AM »

Yeah, I could have used you yesterday. Always send the smallest guy to the frontline. ;D