Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River Sat. April 4 2009  (Read 734 times)

Morty

Chilliwack River Sat. April 4 2009
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:37:02 PM »

After attending the Michael & Young spey fishing demonstration at Peg we headed over the the upper Wack to try some new spots.  Started up in the Borden Creek area.  On the way up saw several vehicles at each of the usual places.   Water colour was good and clarity about 3 feet up at Borden.  No success there and none was reported by others the 6 other guys there at the time.  Decided to work down the river and felt there were too many vehicles already at each of the usual pullouts.  Ended up working down the forestry service road on the south side from Tamahi down.  Work our way all the way down to the private gate.  Had 2 take-downs in the lower pool but was to quick at the first hookset attempt and too slow on the second.   All in all it was a great afternoon to be out on the river and likely had almost as good a time as if I had actually landed a fish.

While at the M&Y event (which was excellent - huge congrats to all who 'served' out there - awesome hospitality) had an opportunity to see the Peg Leg dry.  Actually drove the Explorer down the channel.  I was totally amazed at how inconsistent and random the sculpting of the bottom of that channel.  There are places there where the edge of the water last August are 20+ feet higher than the bottom of the channel.  Other places where I can see we were lucky not to run aground with the boat.  The various ridges, valleys and pot holes are so random I can now easily understand how you can "lose the bounce".  I'm sure the freshet will change it all around again and make it a new mystery for next summer.

Every trips an adventure!
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"