Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shore access at Roche, Allison, Kentucky-alleyne, tunkwa, Monck, or bedard aspen  (Read 2929 times)

penguinabc123

Hey everyone I was hoping I might be able to get some info for any of the above lakes.

I was planning to do a one or two might camp and fish trip in the next week or two driving from poco to the interior.
I don't have any experience with these lakes and plan to fish from shore. I will be bait and spinner fishing, no fly set up.
I don't have a boat so I want to know if any of these lakes are just not worth going to without one.
Google searches and searches in here have not gave me the info I am looking for.
I am ok hiking a bit to get to said lake, for example some of the lakes east of Roche or Monck lake.

I would really appreciate any advice or first hand knowledge.
Or if someone wants to share other suggestions I would love to hear them!
Thanks in advance,

Andrew

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Tunkwa would be your best choice out of all those choices for your preferred method

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

penguinabc123

Hey thanks for the tip. I will likely do one night there and the next day maybe swing by somewhere else for a few hours before heading home.

HOOK

• Old Timer

I would add Lundbom lake to your list. fish along the shoal near the boat launch. its easily reached from shore. I would get yourself some chironies to hang under a bobber too though  ;)

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Another vote for Tunkwa. Fished the shores of it for years, come to think of it, I caught my first fish on that lake. Was very young and it was a very slow day, no one was catching fish, not even in the boats. I came down with my mom and I asked my dad if he could teach me how to cast. Him and his friend were fishing all morning in the little bay by the main office with no luck. He put on a little weight and showed me the ropes. I even asked if I could pick my lure, I remember picking the coolest looking lure in the box (was a croc, dumb luck I guess). First cast, I just started reeling very fast, fish on. Continued to hook fish well into the afternoon, even the boats on the water came into the bay to see what was going on. Seems like I was the only one that could catch fish that day. Never get bored of watching the tapes that my mom took of that day, really was unbelievable. Ever since then, fishing became a big part of my life. Brings back some great memories.

Enough about my story, fishing for me has always been good in that little bay close to the main office. Drop into the office and see what the owners have to say, always friendly people. Walking the shores of the lake is pretty simple as there is lots of access. Crossing the little bridge to the very left of the shore from the office with put you on a big point where there is a nice shoal, caught on nice bows with kill under a float and with lures right off the front of the point. Just cast spoons, spinners, flies or put bait under a float and it isn't too hard to catch fish. The lake can be frustrating at times, fish can be jumping every minute but no one can get a bite, even saw a big one jump and hit a guys back and fall into his boat! I'm pretty sure you can rent a boat also which can give you a nice advantage. Trolling wedding bangs tipped with a worm has never failed. Even casting them out from shore with a little weight has been very productive. Try and let them sink and retrieve it with a jigging motion will trigger bites. These fish like to leap and run very hard so have your drag set right. Once you dial in, fishing can be amazing. If you do get a boat, troll the weed lines, shoals and try and get to the far right end of the lake, caught my biggest fish out of there on a wedding band (nearly hit the 7 pound mark). There are some very big fish in the lake and it really can give you days to remember for the rest of your life.

Check out Tunkwa Lake Resort for daily reports. The fish should still be in close right now, right in the shallows. Be ready for a mix of weather and report back if you end up going!

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:33:30 PM by BCfisherman97 »

bobrunning

Tunkwa immediately near Leighton and don't forget Logan lake, monster fat trout easily accessible there as we found out this afternoon. Tight lines.

Damien

• Old Timer

Ditto on Logan.  Lots of shore access, and tons of fish.  Many pigs.  Was just up there 3 weeks ago.

penguinabc123

Ok wow thanks for all of that information, especially bcfisherman. That was more insight than I could have hoped for!

I think my plan will be to drive up early Monday to Tunkwa from poco and get there for the afternoon, hike around the lake a bit fish the evening and next morning, then possibly hit logan lake later that day possibly staying over one more night.

I will be sure to post up some pictures and a mini report once I get back.

Thanks again!!

-Andrew