Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St.Lawernce musky  (Read 5863 times)

squid

St.Lawernce musky
« on: October 06, 2004, 04:30:22 PM »

Guys, check out this Musky that was caught in the St.lawrence Seaway near Montreal.

http://www.ontariofishing.net/cgi/messageboard/data/18502.shtml

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: St.Lawernce musky
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 04:42:19 PM »

amazimg fish...i bet it could take that guys head off in one bite!

Gillie

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 08:16:55 PM »

After close inspection and many hours experience with photoshop, I have to say it is real. IMHO

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 09:02:34 PM »

It's real alright-October and even into November is when the biggest Muskies are caught on the St Lawrence.

Walleye at night on the French River too if you can stand the cold.

squid

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 07:08:31 AM »

Actually Fulcrum it is not a doctored pic. I wondered the same thing too but if you look closely you will see that the scars are still there it is just that the fish has been turned slightly in the other pictures. It would be awesome to hook into that baby. Imagine a 50 inch fish flying out of the water headshaking to get off your lure !! My knees would be shaking !!!

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 07:31:09 AM »

One of the responses on that thread said that Terry likes to touch up his pictures.  The scar and the yellow rope are faded out in the 3rd pic.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

squid

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 08:12:26 AM »

That's right. Terry likes to play with pictures. The first one is the actual picture.

bigfish1965

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 08:26:17 AM »

Terry and I both do photo retouching for the guys on OFN. What we don't do is alter the size of the fish, and to be honest no one has ever asked us to. Yes we patch up scars or remove blurry spots or fix under/over exposed pics.
Keep in mind that the angler holding the fish (Adam) is about 6'5" and weights in around 260 or so.
He also won the In-Fisherman largest musky award last year for the division.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 12:57:08 PM »

it would be better to leave the picture 'as is'.  by airbrushing it and manipulating the fish, it takes away from the integrity of the photo.

either way, it's a nice fish.  congrats  :)

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 01:04:50 PM »

I agree Fulc....looks doctored.  Big-Game Hunter!!!

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 07:31:26 PM »

Musky get huge...world record is 65 pounds.  I still remember the story of that fish...dude hooked it on like 6# test and a floating jig head with a minnow.  He was drift fishing for walleye...imagine his suprise. 
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 09:46:36 PM »

Musky get huge...world record is 65 pounds.  I still remember the story of that fish...dude hooked it on like 6# test and a floating jig head with a minnow.  He was drift fishing for walleye...imagine his suprise. 

i don't want to sound like a pessimist, but 6# test for a fish that size?  what... the fish swim right to the boat and let the man pick him up without a struggle? and don't these fish have razor sharp teeth? ??? 

sounds like it's not only the photo that got airbrushed ::)

habzrule

• ====00=====
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 12:59:57 PM »

hehe I hear ya!  The 65 pound world record I'm talking about was over 10 years ago if I remember correctly, not the fish in the picture on this forum.  Caught by a fellow named Ken O'brien somewhere in Cottage country in Ontario but I can't remember which lake...I know it sounds unbelieveable but is true  ;D.  I remember the article in the fishing magazine I was a subscriber to, with Ken on the front cover (obvious huge grin).  Apparently the fish did not really fight...what it did was swim up and swallow the jig/minnow, and sit there.  He was sure he had a huge log on until he got it almost to the top and it swam back down and sat on the bottom.  This went on for a little bit...he would reel it up and it would swim back down and sit there.  No jumping, head shakes etc...very old fish with barely any teeth left.  As a kid, iused to fish a lake in North Ontario called "Lake Restoule".  On more than a few occasions while walleye fishing our favourite shoal, a musky/pike would either grab my jig head/minnow and nearly yank the rod out of my hand, and bite through the line instantly.  I've also seen/felt larger musky attack a walleye when it was being reeled up.  My Dad pulled one up without a tail at all, after a huge line jerk    :)
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

habzrule

• ====00=====
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2004, 01:09:40 PM »

sorry, a few corrections to make...my memory apparently isn't as sharp as I thought  ;D     
...although not too bad considering the fish was caught in 1988. 
It wasn't a minnow/jig head, it was a 4 inch rapala the fish was caught on. I just did a google search to find out more.  I can't find mention of the line strength he was using but I know he was fishing for walleye/pike, and there's no way in h3ll he used anything stronger that 8 or 10lb.  I'm sure it was 6lb...but not so sure after seeing my other mistakes in remembering    ;D

habzrule

• ====00=====
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 01:10:39 PM »

oh ya...the other correction was that it's not the world record anymore...just a provincial record apparently.  The world record is a 67.5 pounder from Wisconsin or something.