Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St Mary's Resort at St Mary's Lake  (Read 2075 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
St Mary's Resort at St Mary's Lake
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:10:25 AM »

Hello Everyone. 

I checked the search function and only can find info on Lakeside Gardens.  My wife booked St Mary's Resort in the middle of August.    Some of you remember my post earlier looking for a place to go to that my kids could go for a swim and I might be able to wet a line.   Well its going to be St Mary's Resort.   

Honestly mid August cant come quick enough.  I am really looking forward to being lakeside.    I have a few questions as most of you have been to Lakeside Resort but I am wondering about St Mary's Resort

1.  Have you been to it and your thoughts?

2.  Rod seems to catch all his fish at Lakeside.   Has anyone been to St Mary's Resort and fished from shore

3.  I heard they have boats that you can use for free but also heard they are neglected. 

4.   Is bait available?   I was thinking of bringing some spinners and a bobber and worm for my kids to use.

5.  what else should I bring....

Cant wait guys...
see ya on the river

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
Re: St Mary's Resort at St Mary's Lake
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »

I know they sponsor this site BUT for what you pay its over priced and the last time I stayed there the boats were not free . If you go around the corner Green acres has HUGE cabins for close to the same rate and the boat comes with the cabin.

http://www.saltspringislandresort.com/rates/

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 09:46:12 AM »

Anywhere on that lake will produce smallies and trout.

Trolling around slowly with a curly tailed grub on a jig head will produce a lot of action and be easy for the kids to manage while you row/paddle.  Find weed edges and drops offs.

Bobber and a worm as you suggested will also work for bass and trout.  Vary the depths, fan cast if fishing from shore, and wait until you get it dialed in.

There are good sized trout in there, hard to get the larger smallies as it is packed with 'cookie cutter' sized smallies.  But fun for the kids.

Good luck, you'll love it there.

Dogbreath

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »

I've stayed @ St Mary's it's OK-or was back then.

As mentioned there are all kinds of small fish but how many will be biting in mid-August remains to be seen as water temps rise the bite goes off.

You're much better off renting a scow  and exploring the shoreline than pounding the same few spots as the other bank maggots do year round.

If you are casting to weed beds don't sit too close-stay far away & make long accurate casts and plan each cast don't just flail away.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »

You're much better off renting a scow  and exploring the shoreline than pounding the same few spots as the other bank maggots do year round.

Yikes... does that make me a maggot if I don't have my own boat.  ;)

When were you last at St Mary's.   I heard the boats in serious need repair.   I am thinking of buying a inflatable anyway but was curious as to whether I should rush that for the trip or just use the boats they have...

see ya on the river

Drewhill

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:53:50 PM »

Just got back today and the fishing was amazing on the west side of the lake. Worms were the ticket. The bass were certainly not "cookie cutter" this year as most of them were quite large.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 08:39:29 AM »

Hope it keeps going til mid Aug...    I am sure with the hot weather it will die down

Did you actually stay at st Mary's resort.  How were the boats?   Decent?
see ya on the river

Drewhill

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 03:28:50 PM »

No, we stayed at the Cottage Resort on the very south side of the lake. That's my favourite out of all the resorts. Green Acres is nice too but not a big fan of the other resorts.