Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Charter gratuity advice  (Read 10235 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: Charter gratuity advice
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 06:40:50 PM »

My views on tipping are similar to those of Mr. pink from Resovoir Dogs, especially when it comes to fishing guides!

They get paid to do a job they love so why should they be paid more money when you have already dropped big coin for the trip?

I paint houses for a living and once had an elderly lady hand me 20 dollars because she was happy with the work, right away I handed it back thanked her and told her she had already paid and there was no need for tips.  If she had offered a cool beverage I would have gladly accepted.

Guess I'm just a cheapskate.

777fishing

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 09:32:05 PM »

We always tip $20 a fish pain and simple.  ;)

Fish that we keep that is. So the limit on springs was two fish when we last went, and one halibut. (I would not tip that much per fish if we had hooked up with 30 fish for a catch and release fishing trip on a river lets say. Would be around $100-$150 tip for a day like that. ) We have never been out with anyone that's not been more then nice to us and tried their best to get us into fish. To tell you the truth we do most of our fishing without a Charter, but we do like to go over to westcoast with one at times.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:40:20 AM by 777fishing »

shi man oh man

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 07:34:35 AM »

Finnish guys dont like tipping ;D

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 08:30:28 AM »

Im a full time guide and see all sorts of tips throughout the year... doesnt matter what I get for a tip as it is always a bonus.... people feel obligated nowadays to tip but really it is to your discretion... dont feel bad if you cant afford a big tip...trips cost a lot of money but are typically worth it...the way I would base a tip is Attitude of guide, is he or she always positive, did you have a good time despite the fishing could be slow.is the tackle and equipment clean and professional. is the boat in good operating form and clean. and of course if fishing was good... In our company we bust our butts to catch fish so that means  lot of extra time getting bait, buying bait and scouting if we havent been out for a few days....a typical 8 hour day for our clients is a 12 hour day for the guides....
I work 12 hr shifts and dont get tips.Would love to get paid to fish. Your paid to do a job properly, so to me it dont matter your working 12 hrs to provide 8 hrs fishing time.Thats your job. Most guides are working hard to put you on fish,if they dont they wont be in business long.I would say tip whatever your comfortable with as this fella says its a bonus.

fishbandit66

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 02:36:04 PM »

I was under the impression that a 10-15% tip is just "customary"/expected, regardless of the service.

Surely tipping is a form of feedback for guides or any staff really? If customers always give 10-15% tip regardless then guides will get lazy and not try to improve their service. If customers give 0 tip for bad service guides will immediately think what did I do wrong obviously this customer is not happy next time I should make more effort to be friendly / professional / clean my boat / give up my honey hole etc etc

I had a guide once that spent most of the day fishing himself and barely spoke to us at all. I still gave him 15% because we caught fish but on reflection I should of given 5% or even zero really.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »

I'd say $100 bucks minimum is polite

I'd say you are a guide.

Tipping should be made illegal.
If you like the service, tell your friends. Come again.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:53:29 PM by adriaticum »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »

Tips = To Ensure Prompt Service

Seems like everyone expects a tip these days for doing their jobs. They even have tip jars at self serve gas stations

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:15 PM »

Everyone DOES expect a tip in our culture, and I think service industry salaries reflect that.  For that reason we usually tip, unless the service is terrible.  I consider the tip a part of the cost, and if I cannot afford the service+tip, I simply do not purchase the service. :-\    When I have used the services of a fishing guide, I have never been disappointed.  They have all been great guys who have worked hard to make sure we had fun, and educate us along the way.

That being said, I sure do enjoy traveling in places like Japan, where the taxes are already included in the price and tipping is not the norm.  It is soo simple...the price is the price.  Heck, I've even had a restaurant owner chase me down the street to return money I "forgot" in his restaurant. :o

Bingbamboom

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »

I take trips on the the Fraser 2-3 times a year with different guides. I have had my share of lack luster guides though. I can tell when a guide is being professional and working hard to provide the best fishing experience possible and the ones more interested in fishing and catching fish for themselves. I don't go at a restuarant and order food to have the server sit down and eat with me . I tip 100- 150  for  a great guide who is professional and as many referrals as possible and zip to the other .

brownmancheng

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2012, 08:28:44 AM »

I've only ever fished with one guide on the stamp no reason to try another.  From this sounds like I may be under tipping as he gives me good deal I only give average 50 per head.