Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St Mary's Lake advice needed  (Read 1511 times)

EZ_Rolling

St Mary's Lake advice needed
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:24:55 AM »

Hi Guys

Do you have any advice as to what type of lures , Tackle or Bait I should be using for St Mary's lake?

I have a cabin booked there for 1 week in the first week of August and as this is my first trip there I have no idea what to expect or if this time of year will provide decent fishing opportunities.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
EZ

noxcape

Re: St Mary's Lake advice needed
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »

are you going to be fishing for smallmouth bass or for trout are you going to ahve a boat or on shore

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »

we will be fishing for whatever is available and we have use of a boat as part of our cabin rental.

noxcape

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »

i would fish for the smallies in there great time of year to catch them try to get some top water baits like buzz baits and poppers and then get some sand colour tubes for fishing deep and then senko type baits such as trick sticks all of this is available at galilee fly and tackle in langley if you need anymore info shoot me a pm wiht your phone number and ill give you call st marys is an awesome small mouth lake

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 02:32:38 PM »

Fishing at St Mary Lake on Saltspring Island is usually best in May and June, when the water is cooler. In August, based on a couple of trips that we have done in the past around that time, you are best to focus on fishing in the deep water (20ft+) for big smallmouth bass (12 - 18 inches). Plastic tubebait rigged onto a slipped weight works well when fishing at this depth. The shallower water will also have some bass, but they tend to be small during that time (under 12 inches). If there are kids with you, bring some deli shrimp and just send them down on a bottom rig. This works great for all species (smallmouth bass, yellow perch, trout). Trout fishing will most likely be slow, but don't be surprised if you catch one. We've seen trout chasing our tubebait while it is being reeled in from the bottom.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »

Well I am 1 week from going on my holiday to St Marys does anyone have any recent reports from this area?

This will be my first time there as stated before and do not know what to expect

noxcape

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 01:34:39 PM »

ez rolling send me an email and ill send you some info on st maries

here is my email address  andyfournier61@hotmail.com