Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squmaish / Mamquam / Chaekamus  (Read 6087 times)

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Squmaish / Mamquam / Chaekamus
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 06:05:10 PM »

Was out today and hooked a couple of very bright fish but still very spotty out there. Talked to a CO and he was saying that if the numbers dont pick up they will be closing the river to retention again.  :'( :'(  What a difference a cycle makes, four years ago the chummies were everywhere and now they are in a few small locations. A real shame so far, hope it picks up in the next couple of weeks. On a side note while leaving the confluence of the Cheakamus today I discovered VERY LARGE grizzly bear prints from sometime in the last day. I have never seen grizz prints down there so be careful if fishing the Cheakamus......
always a student

cohojoe

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

I will bring my bear spray.   I do not want to wind up on TV as a casualty of fishing and meeting a hungry bear.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 02:45:49 PM »

That is most likely the print off of the bear known as"Kon". He is 600+ and has been known to be on the Cheakamus as well as the lower Squamish and Ashlu Rivers. A friend of mine is doing a grizzly DNA study of this area and has run in to him more than one. And for the record, there are more than 3 bears in the area.

In regard to chum, they should be closed NOW as there are very few of them. This was a very large escapement 4 years ago but it appears to be a bust again like last year. Last year was 10 - 15% of normal. Lets hope we don't have a repeat of that or your going to have some very hungry and crankly bears wandering around looking for food.