Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St Mary Lake in February  (Read 1194 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
St Mary Lake in February
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:31:16 PM »

FWR sponsor, Mark at Lakeside Gardens (see the ad at the top of the page), made me a good offer on a cottage for a week (and an even better offer for two weeks) this time of year, and turns out my license is good until the end of March.  I'm going up there the middle of next month (February), but my fishing partner is getting cold feet, so to speak, about what the weather is likely to be like.  I keep telling him it will be fishable, but . . .  anyway, any opinions on what it will be "like" fishing on Salt Spring Island then?. . . . And, in case my fishing partner wimps out (looks likely), anyone want to share one of those cottages for a week next month?

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Re: St Mary Lake in February
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:45:54 AM »

Fishing partner managed to catch a steelhead here in Oregon and now is hoping for bad weather (rain) here which, according to him, will make for good fishing.  And he's not going on this trip partly (to Salt Spring Is.) because he's afraid of bad weather (rain) making for bad fishing up there.  And he talked to some guy named Tevor over on the big island who told him fishing wasn't likely to be good. 
So I've been to the store and bought a bunch of new flies to replace the ones that got all chewed up last time:  dragonfly and damselfly nymphs, mudlers, other minnow immitations.  And I made reservations for a week beginning Feb. 24th.  A neighbor is going with me, but we are renting a cottage that "sleeps 5", so if anyone would like to join us, let me know.