Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser  (Read 50069 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »

Does it matter its not gill netting? A closer for conservation should be a closer for all.

I do agree to a point but then we get into that discussion about what FN are entitled to by LAW. FN are the only ethnic group in Canada ( and I like to use that word ethnic because our government to split folks into groups and not recognize us as just plain old Canadians ) that are entitled to Salmon. It's their right. It's no surprise really.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »

Not sure what everyone has been expecting when you all signed the petition to House of Commons on Interior Fraser River steelhead... but this was one of the measures that was expected to be taken to save the runs. It's unfortunate, we'll miss the peak of the hatchery coho fishery on the Lower Fraser River, ...

Wow, just a while ago I had a dream, well more like a nightmare, that I said pretty much the same thing and other posters got so made at me & wrote about how I should get off this site for maybe a year!

Now I wake up and it's deja vu all over again.

Isn't that just weird?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tylsie

« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »

First Nation are not entitled to salmon. They are entitled a to be the first to catch them after all conservation concerns are met. That is it. If there is excess salmon to their allotment then there will be a commercial opening and lastly a sport fishing opening if any left. All this comes after, and ONLY after all conservation concerns are met.

That is nothing new, it has gone all the way to the SCC and that was there ruling. Conservation trumps all. The problem lies in lack of enforcement and in lack of commitment. Now, these openings may be believed to not have a serious impact on interior Coho or Steelhead, I am not sure how that is reached. But the fact remains Conservation is to take priority.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:00:00 PM by Tylsie »

Tangles

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »

Can't keep a single clipped fish but netting is fine, Ralph logic stamped and approved.  ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2018, 03:44:15 PM »

DFO determines conservation needs. Beach seining is highly selective. Non targeted species are to be released. Usually they are not removed from the water. Post release mortality is likely lower than any form of hook and line fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

Wow, just a while ago I had a dream, well more like a nightmare, that I said pretty much the same thing and other posters got so made at me & wrote about how I should get off this site for maybe a year!

Now I wake up and it's deja vu all over again.

Isn't that just weird?
Rodney asks questions and expresses his opinions without calling other members "internet twits" and doesn't seem to offend many people. Weird eh

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2018, 04:08:22 PM »

Beach seine with 3-4 guys is great, slow and low cupe and the net coast 5 grand that most can’t afford.

And if you can afford it good luck getting 3-4 guys to run it.

Best to just get your buddy to help and drag the net up in the beach.faster CUPE need less guys and just separate them sort them as they flip around on the beach.

http://aptnnews.ca/2018/09/25/b-c-first-nations-say-they-were-short-changed-by-feds-in-sockeye-quota/

“By then, fishers from First Nations were restricted to using selective beach seine methods to target remaining sockeye allocations; a method that has yielded smaller catches and effectively shuts out a third of the nations who don’t have access to seine fishing locations in the gravel bars,” it said in the release.”
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:11:27 PM by wildmanyeah »

Sage2106

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »

Ralph i dont think you have really seen how the beach seining goes on up here in chilliwack. Theres nothing selective when they drag the nets up onto the beach with an atv into a ball out of the water.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »

Rodney asks questions and expresses his opinions without calling other members "internet twits" and doesn't seem to offend many people. Weird eh

you missed or excluded the previous comments by the person or know much about their history on this and other sites. Some weeks ago they told one of our most senior and mature voices to 'grow up' yet is remarkable for a lack of emotional maturity and intelligence.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 08:45:03 AM by RalphH »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »

Beach seines as first demonstrated by the Katzie Band can be 100% selective and result in next to nil post release mortality for targeted species. FN bands throughout the FV have previously sown they are willing to police their members to operate the seines correctly. Anyone who witnesses stuff like Sage says he has seen should report them to the band office or to DFO.

Sage2106

« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »

The dfo doesnt give a rats my friend and how do you report it to the band office when you dont know what band is there. Ive seen the dead wild coho they arent supposed to have thrown into the bushes to rot. Police themselves? Thats the problem they are supposed to report what they catch but they dont. Half the time their observers are sleeping in the truck at the boat launch and doesnt visually inspect anything. You clearly have never seen what truly goes on.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2018, 05:12:44 PM »

Here is a good video. we should do our part, otherwise there is no fish in the future any more. Thompson is closed one month early than before. We don't want a fully closure next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4khbFsVLj9U

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2018, 06:38:46 AM »

The Bands will talk to their members if they can identify them. When beach seining for pinks first started there observations and even film of bad practices and the bands responded and fish were properly released. In some cases they have Fisheries Liaison Officers who work with DFO.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2018, 10:40:16 AM »

There is no new notice yet, but it looks like the Mouth of the Fraser is open on the 24th, and on the 25th the Tidal Fraser is open.  The bait ban from FN0924 is over, so you can target trout with bait  ???, and make sure the salmon don't touch the bait ???

Coho Salmon (Hatchery)
29-7,29-9,29-10  -/-/-  Closed until Oct 24

29-11 to 29-17 -/-/-  Closed until Oct 25

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »

Opening information after this month's closure for the non-tidal portion was announced over the weekend.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=214834&ID=all

The opening information for the tidal portion should be available shortly.

Although bait is now permitted for trout and char, my recommendation to all is to save that bait for later. You'll catch just as many bull trout with lures and flies during this time of the year, because the water clarity is excellent. Bait would just result in higher post-release mortality on these fish.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13