Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good catch and release net for trout?  (Read 6615 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Good catch and release net for trout?
« on: August 11, 2013, 03:32:24 PM »

I've had the same extendable trout net for years and years. It works fine for the odd trout that I want to bonk and eat, but most of them I release and want them to be as unharmed as possible.

I want to buy a nice wooden (in case dropped over board it'll float) handled net made for catch and release.

Is it better to get the rubber mesh, or nylon mesh? I would say the rubber as there is less of a chance of the hook getting caught up in it. Occasionally I'll go to release a trout in my current net and the hook, which is still in the fish's mouth, gets hung up a bit in the net. This makes it really hard to get the hook out of the fish's mouth and release it!

Sea Run had some really nice C&R nets and the mesh was nylon but a lot smaller/finer than my current net. But they were $125-170 bucks if I remember correctly! I don't need exotic wood or for it to be hand made in BC. It's just a net and I'd be happy ordering one from Cabela's, etc.

Anyone have a good one they'd reccomend? I want the longer handle (3-4 feet). Oh also wondering if ya'll perfer the oval shaped net or the more "salmon shaped" round style? 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Good catch and release net for trout?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »

I have a few that I use for catch and release, depending on where I am fishing. The one from Gibbs Delta is pretty good.

http://gibbsdelta.com/catch-release-trout-nets

GCR-TN1B

I use it for salmon, trout and char in the Fraser River (occasionally bringing it to the smaller streams if I am fishing from a steeper bank). It's extendable, durable, the metal gets banged around all the time without much damage. I've had it for over ten years now and the mesh is still fine.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »

Thanks Rodney. Looks like a decent net. I think I'd prefer a wooden framed one as it would float if dropped overboard and if I wanted to release a fish in the net in the water, but I would still consider this one.

Did you buy it on line or in a store?

Castor

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:54:13 PM »

I got mine from army and navy, I'm on a budget :-[... I got the wood framed nylon mesh for 16 bones I think but they also had the silicone catch and release net for around 30 I think
I'd fish that

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »

Right on, next time I'm in Langley I'll check out A&N. I found on on ebay for 30 bucks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Fly-Fishing-Landing-Net-Trout-Net-Rubber-Net-Catch-and-Release-/271217604228?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f25d43684#ht_2368wt_1161
Free shipping from China, WTF?!?!

I'm guessing it's a little on the cheap side quality wise so I don't think I'll order it.

Which is "better"...the nylon mesh or rubber mesh?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 12:38:41 PM »

The Gibbs net I bought was from Berry's. This was over ten years ago but last time I checked at the store they still have it.

Good point about the floating wooden net. If I am fishing on a boat at a lake, I do use a wooden one instead of this metallic extendable one. For the Tidal Fraser River, because there's silt, sand, all kinds of crap around, I find the metallic metal withstand better to the abuse.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »

I've got a Ruston "Nilkitkwa" wooden net (got it for a present many years ago) and it's an awesome net with a long handle so I can easily land fish from my super fat cat.  Pricey though.  But it can hold big trout, and the mesh is intended for catch and release.  You can check out Ruston's website here:

http://www.rushtonlandingnets.com/teardrop_nets.htm

I also have an inexpensive wooden C&R net that I bought from Berry's Bait and Tackle. I think it was around 35 bucks.  Check it out here:

http://www.berrysbait.com/products/1/0/0/1/fishing-nets-383/pacific-fly-ntt20-classic-landing-net-19573.aspx

I'd go for a wooden net for lakes for sure.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »

All nice looking nets. No prices on the first ones but I bet they're not cheap. I did't see any longer handled nets in either. Im looking for one I can use in my boat and I'd prefer a longer handle...maybe 3 feet or so.

Also I notice that all these nets use fine mesh. I've heard that the rubber is better as it removes less slime and your hook point has less of a chance of getting caught up in the ner when the fish is thrashing around.

The main reasons I'm looking to upgrade my current net to a "catch and release" net is that the basket is too deep and it's hard to get the fish out with rubbing it though the mesh a lot. Also the weave of the mesh is prone to getting the hook hung up in it which is frustrating when it's still in the fish's mouth.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

Found this net on Cabelas.ca that I like. Any opinions on it?

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/28490/cabelas-wooden-boat-net

This net is similar to or identical to my current net. Works awesome for retaining the odd trout but given I release 9/10 I want something more catch + release friendly.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/22293/cabelas-folding-telescopic-nets

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »

A&N Langley and Wholesale Sports both have a wooden, trout net with black mesh and ~3 ft handle. Retails for either $24.95 or $29.95. I bought one 2 or 3 years back and use it to this day. It's got a few rips in it (from barbed hooks going in and me having to rip them out), but has held up pretty well overall.

A&N definitely had 'em a month ago, because I was contemplating getting another one for my old man. They were ~20-30 ft (one aisle length) to the left of the fishing department cash registers, along the back wall... At Wholesale Sports they are along the back wall by the fly fishing section, along with all the other wooden nets that retail for >$100 :P
A rig out of water catches no fish.

zabber

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:27:18 AM »

Oh, and I'm not sure about which material is better for protecting the fishes slime + scales. Definitely not the knotted cotton or plastic ones (e.g. "ocean salmon nets")

zabber

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 11:30:50 AM »

One last thing: use barbless hooks to help prevent the hook from getting caught in the fine mesh (and to generally facilitate with C&R).

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »

don't mess around and just spend the coin and buy yourself some top notch HANDMADE quality made in BC nets

www.mobynets.com

I myself own the Whale. They sell these nets at Wholesale sports. The Whale & Crane are a steal at $150 and then the prices go down from there. Super excited for the release of the "coho" which I believe is going to be made to handle salmon/steelhead.

my net will fit pinks, jack springs and average sized coho however I will never use it on salmon
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/