Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Day With Chris  (Read 1341 times)

Lew Chater

A Day With Chris
« on: December 30, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »

Chris phoned this morning and said "Let's go Lew, we always hook fish when we fish together!" I don't usually fish on weekends, (lucky me), but as I had hooked a nice fish and lost it yesterday, I said see you in 20 minutes. Chris said he had some nice easy water to get to for me. What a nice day, no wind, water conditions really great and no one in the hole we wanted to fish. Chris as guide says go ahead as he hooks on a prawn. Second cast and the old holler from me, "There's one! ". As Chris looks up, the fish boils, runs right at me, turns for the deep water, and is gone. After several choice words and a "beeko" from Chris, we covered the water again but to no avail. The maple leaf drennan wouldn't go down for Chris, but the Canuck hat I had to counter Chris's leaf hat had worked for me.
We fished a lot of nice water, talked to others but did not see any more fish. I probably had another chance but was looking down river at a brush pile, when Chris yelled at me, as he couldn't figure why I wasn't setting the hook as the float was under for about 2 seconds. Couldn't get what ever it was to come back. Another "beeko be gone" from Chris as even the old veterans make the rookie errors.
Also was talking about putting a rubber stopper just above the swivel to let the lead bounce against it, that it was a good idea. Checked my knot as I was going to put a stopper on, and the line broke with almost no pull on it. It would not have held even a white fish, so again check those knots and use the rubber bumper. No more fish for us but what a great day to be out.
Chris and I were able to yak about many good fish outs together, and how many times we had met on the river and hooked fish together.
Came home to do some chores after a late lunch with Chris, and he called that he had gone back to the hole that I had probably missed one in, and though he didn't hit any fish, he found a five dollar bill, so he is calling that hole the "Fin" hole now. Some of you younger guys may have to think about that one for a while.
After over 60 years fishing the Vedder, it still is most enjoyable to get out with good buddies, even though it is far more crowded now and the ethics of some fishermen leaves much to be desired at times, although it was very good today..
Thanks Chris for guiding today, maybe I'll guide you in next time.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: A Day With Chris
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 05:02:26 PM »

Great report Lew.  Pity about losing that one.  I will be headed back out there for a couple days, hopefully the river agrees with me and I get the chance to shake hands with one as well. ;) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 05:55:06 PM »

Yes Lew a great day, it just shows you donot have to start early as we did not make that first cast until 9. As you stated it amazes me the number of times when we get out together or meet on the river that one of us get into a fish It would not be a fish tail to say it must be nearing 75%, this year it is 100%. ;D ;D

I remember the first time but we did not really know each other except we played fastball against each other in the 60 's, not sure of your teams name but we were Collegiate 33.

Anyway back to the fish story. I had fished the run we called it the Twin Cedar, on the Chilliwack, just above Wilson Road and had moved upstream. I had not been there very long and I see this guy with a fish on right where I had left. How could that happen I thought and was pretty jealous as well. Even though I was unhappy at not getting it (now it would not bother me at all, as I am happy when anyone gets a fish) myself I had to go down and see it. It was a big fish maybe 15 to 16 pounds, Lew will remember.

As I had a camera I snapped a picture and later put the snap in a fishing or sports magazine, we still laugh about that as they called Lew, Lew Chatter. I did not make the mistake but as I stated yesterday I called Wade, Wayne in the cutline of the picture I did for the Chilliwack Progress. ::)

Anyway we developed a good friendship after that and one I treasure today as well the good outing we had today even though I did not get a bite. I even cracked my Maple Leaf Drennan on a rock and it was taking on water for most of the afternoon, a sinking ship but FA it was not like the Leafs who will beat Ottawa tonight on their way to the Stanley Cup. ;D ;D

Finding the $5 bill, a few tins, a good visit with fisherforever at noon and then getting 4 mallard drakes on the evening flight was a perfect ending for the day.

Thanks Lew for lunch, writing The Journal, another fishing day to remember once again, race you to Lew's 2 run in the morning. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 07:18:30 PM »

I think it's time to lace up the skates on Max. The Make Beliefs could use some help......alot of help  ;D