Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opinions on the GL2 Str 1263 rod  (Read 3820 times)

brad7

Opinions on the GL2 Str 1263 rod
« on: July 19, 2013, 07:33:13 PM »

So I'm looking to get a new steelhead pin rod for this winter and I ve been looking at the GL2 Str 1263c. I was wondering if any who has used this rod wanted too put their 2 cents. Thanks

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Opinions on the GL2 Str 1263 rod
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 08:16:19 AM »

Nice rod (used one but did not buy; maybe if I got a smoking hot deal)
BUT make sure you understand the GLoomis warranty!
As with any warranty: 
IF something happens what is the turn over time? (how long will you be without the rod?)
The processing fee?

Just sayin' :-\

norm_2

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »

I used a GL2 1263 for several years.  It was replaced with a GL3 1263. Now I use a Rainshadow XST 1263F.  I liked the GL2 as it was light enough for smaller fish and almost enough for most springs in the Vedder.  Maybe it could have a little more butt strength.  I did not like the GL3.  It is too stiff.  I had no trouble horsing any spring on the Vedder.  I really really like the Rainshadow.  It is super light in weight, the tip is more sensitive than the GL2, and the butt strength is very strong (maybe too much).  The GL2 and Rainshadow have a really nice bend when fighting a steelhead.  The above rods were not pin rods so I do not know how they cast with a pin.  On the Loomis processing fee, I had to pay I think $70 to replace the broken GL2 tip and they replaced the whole rod because the rod was so well used.  Good luck. 

bunnta

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »

had the old brown blank and they were great rod. landed all salmon with them with ease, and it was perfect for me but i had few anglesr tell me before that they broke theirs before and wish they didn't get the new verison of it when they proceeded with warranty. have mine for 10 years now and still going strong and i bought it used too.  :-X

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »

I own a GL2 1264C and used it for many years before upgrading to a Sage.  It's a good rod, with a moderate action.  Perfect for coho and steelhead, with decent reserve power to put some boots to the springs.  I do find it to be a bit "tip heavy", but I guess I'm now used to using the Sage 2106.  Overall, I'd say it's a fine rod.  I haven't had to deal with the warranty - and hope I never have to!