Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Watch  (Read 7279 times)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
River Watch
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »

Anybody interested in starting this on the west coast
http://www.gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishing/extension/river.shtml
Take the T out of Morton.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
Re: River Watch
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »

I guess not...pity
Take the T out of Morton.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:42:53 PM »

I would be...
The Vedder would be a great place to start it up, but Im on the island right now for the next 4 or so years.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 11:48:01 PM »

I guess not...pity

I didn't realize that one could expect to generate enough volunteer interest in less than two hours when proposing a new project. If only it is that easy to save the world. ::)

For some reason British Columbians enjoy whining about the problems, possibly identify the solutions, but almost never have the desire to initiate them.

Don't shoot your own idea down as fast as suggesting it if you are serious about it. Build it and they'll come.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:54:35 PM by Rodney »

SNapz

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »

This does look interesting. You might want to consider asking them to see if you can get a copy of the River Watch manual just to see exactly what they have set up already. I am sure they would have no problem to send one out if you were interested in starting something up. Like Rodney says it will probably take a lot of time and work to get something like this going.

salmonlover

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:46:04 AM »

I didn't realize that one could expect to generate enough volunteer interest in less than two hours when proposing a new project. If only it is that easy to save the world. ::)

For some reason British Columbians enjoy whining about the problems, possibly identify the solutions, but almost never have the desire to initiate them.

Don't shoot your own idea down as fast as suggesting it if you are serious about it. Build it and they'll come.

this is exactly how i feel about the the fishing industry in bc. I just feel that i am one guy and how much impact can i really have on the fishing in bc. I really like this post rodney it really says a lot without saying much at all! it inspires me to do more and just hope that one mans efforts can change a situation.

fishnjim

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 07:09:04 AM »

great idea

paladin

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 06:24:14 AM »

fantastic idea, never give up.

jimmywits

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:03:59 AM »

Keep going with it, it is a worthy endeavor in so many way's. The CO'S sure aren't doing it effectively!

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »

I have been working with TU head office for the past few weeks to try to get a group going here in the LML. I will let you know what happens and will post ASAP.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 07:58:03 AM »

This is a great idea and should be done together with the DFO and Fresh water fisheries.
Having fast access to enforcement officers and exchange of information would help quite a bit.

Morty

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 10:25:04 AM »

Great Idea -
I would participate.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 11:43:33 AM »

--this is a worth while program. just wearing the identification and having stickers on your vehicle lets people know that an ethical fisher is in the area. this in part works as a deterrent to those who do not respect the resource.
--I always try to wear our fishing club patch and have identification on my boat and vehicle. generally people who are not afraid to identify themselves are not doing anything wrong.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 05:09:29 PM »

Great idea but a lot of training/work and ongoing effort.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 05:56:56 PM »

Great idea but a lot of training/work and ongoing effort.
Yes this is always the problem with volunteers, I know that by my wife's involvement in Block Watch and also Citizen's on Patrol as you are always facing trying to keep and get volunteers. Then there is the funding issue  to get equipment needed for this to run properly.

As I mentioned elsewhere the Insurance problem was a kicker when the Fraser Valley Salmon Society meet with the RCMP and FOC back a few years in trying to set up a similar program. I certainly do not want to put a damper on this as it is a fine idea but these are the drawbacks that one encounters when trying to set up an organization like this.