Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a fish topic nothing to do with fishing  (Read 2338 times)

strobes

a fish topic nothing to do with fishing
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »

So i am just curious to see how many anglers also take their love of fish into the home with aquariums.  I myself have had an aquarium for at least dozen years or so.  but the main reason for this thread is the local shop i used to buy my fish from has changed ownership and isn't quite up to par anymore, so i was wondering if anyone knew of any fish stores that sell quality fish, i'm not looking for the typical box pet stores like petsmart, but more a small shop that knows what they are talking about.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: a fish topic nothing to do with fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 01:54:38 AM »

So i am just curious to see how many anglers also take their love of fish into the home with aquariums.  I myself have had an aquarium for at least dozen years or so.  but the main reason for this thread is the local shop i used to buy my fish from has changed ownership and isn't quite up to par anymore, so i was wondering if anyone knew of any fish stores that sell quality fish, i'm not looking for the typical box pet stores like petsmart, but more a small shop that knows what they are talking about.

Are you talking about marine/reef or freshwater tropical? I used to have a 180 gallon fishonly marine tank and a 40 gallon reef tank before I moved to BC. I never restarted the hobby here because I could not find a suitable marine/reef aquarium store and also my house was not built to support large heavy tanks. If you are looking for marine/reef aquarium there are two in Burnaby area, but selection is limiited compared to US west coast stores. If you are also into exotic freshwater tropicals, I think selection is also limited as I have yet to run into a decent store here in Vancouver area. I still have a lot of aquarium equipment in my garage which I have not used in 7 years. 

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »

I've got a a 30 gal reef and i get my stuff from J&L Aquatics, they're pretty reliable.

charles

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:15:54 PM »

There are a few online vendor in Vancouver.  I run www.canadianaquatics.com  we service all lower mainland as well as all other provinces in Canada, and USA.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »

I also vote for J&L Aquatics, they send it to your door for free.

I only have fresh water right now, and I'm a piranha freak.
180gal. with 18" Black Piranha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toA72o5kaD8

320gal. mixed Pygo Shoal (piranha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFvShXDV-so

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 02:25:31 PM »

I only have fresh water right now, and I'm a piranha freak.
180gal. with 18" Black Piranha
320gal. mixed Pygo Shoal (piranha)
[

Cools tanks canso! ;D
Never new anyone with such a large collection of piranha at home.
Way back, I use to have a 180 gallon tank filled with 10 peacock cichlids raised from fingerlings to more than 12" each.
They only ate live fish, shrimp or worms, so it used to freak my wife out. ;D
They are known as premier game fish in South America, like large mouth bass in the US.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:27:30 PM by bigblue »

strobes

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »

I've got a a 30 gal reef and i get my stuff from J&L Aquatics, they're pretty reliable.

i've always thought about converting from freshwater to marine, but the costs for equipment and fish themselves seem to be high. 

Canso--thats an awesome looking piranha, but there is no chance i would ever hand feed one like you did in that video.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 10:26:44 PM »

i've always thought about converting from freshwater to marine, but the costs for equipment and fish themselves seem to be high. 

Yeah, marine aquariums, especially reef tanks, can become a very expensive venture.
Among the local stores, J&L does have the best collection.
I have never bought anything there, but I have visited the store a number of times in the past thinking about starting up a new tank.
As someone who has kept aquariums since age 8, I have aquired a keen eye on sizing up pet shops and it's owners. :)