Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help finding a bar  (Read 2123 times)

strobes

Help finding a bar
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:58:26 AM »

So as I've stated in other posts, I'm new to the whole sockeye fishery. I've gone out twice too the scale bar on lougheed and the bar on the native reserve up from the agassiz bridge. Both times I was skunked because I don't have the casting skill to get my line far enough out. I was thinking of trying again after work, hoping both the weather and commercial opening would lighten some of the crowds. So my question is, which bar near chilliwack would give me the best chance in not having to cast out extremely far out and still have a chance in landing a sockeye?
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

shi man oh man

Re: Help finding a bar
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:06:44 PM »

Strobes, if u want to get fish without having to cast far u require a boat period. If u want real advice, and u really want to catch sockeye. Go to a soccer field with your rod and a 4 ounce bouncing betty and practise practise practise. When u get your distance, and the ability to handle your rod confidently, u will slay on sockeye. Short casting is a bad quality in a sockeye fisherman, it messes with other fisherpeoples drifts, and causes tangles, and all the things that account to getting skunked, with 25 million sockeye in the river if u are getting skunked, u are doing something very wrong. go practise, and good luck

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »

try camp hope on hwy 7 before scale. more snags but you dont have to cast as far. i havent been for years there but only needed 2 oz betty then.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »

try camp hope on hwy 7 before scale. more snags but you dont have to cast as far. i havent been for years there but only needed 2 oz betty then

Still snaggy as ever, but if you are willing to put in time and gear  :D while trying to find a suitable path, you only have to cast out 30-50 feet. Plus the 'gong show' is not present there.

And you may be surprised with a Spring for your efforts.

Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:19:10 PM »

What kind of rod and reel set up do you have? I know some guys have a hard time getting the distance with a spin cast reel

strobes

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »

i have a shimano cardiff 400a and fenwick hmx.  on my way out to the fraser, i stopped at reaction fly and tackle and mentioned my issues.  they gave me a crash course and i picked up some more beddies and gear and headed off to the peg leg.  went to the north end of it and did what they told me and was casting much better and finally landed my two sockeye!!
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

andrew5

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 12:37:42 PM »

congrats Strobes... I am in your boat... going out this weekend to try and land my first two!